HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
~Bellydancer~

Smile How has BC changed you and your attitude?

Just wondering how you are growing thru this journey? I find myself not getting upset with the insignificant things. I have no time for rudeness, insensitivity, ignorance, pettiness or selfishness. I am able to say NO to people and things that are not going to benefit me or my family. I am enjoying the moments, not racing thru to the next thing. I have found that this has caused me to stop, drop to my knees and take stock in my life and what is important. For me it is health and happiness for Dwayne and the kids, as well as my self.
what makes me happy changes from moment to moment. I am just happy to be here at this moment.

Dx August 15th/07
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
ER/PR- negative, HER2- positive
Stage 11 with tumor size 3.5cm, .7cm satelite node
Sx Oct 2nd/07
Skin sparing mastectomy of left breast
immediate reconstruction DIEP flap
Nodes 0/3 Sentinal Node Biopsy
Chemo started Nov, 3 rounds FEC and 3 rounds Taxotere and Herceptin every three weeks
Radiation 28 Tx ended on June 13/08
Herceptin was stopped due to falling MUGA score (went from 62 down to 42)
Cardiologist Appt June 24th
Ramipril 2x/d to protect heart and hopefully increase LVEF
Officially NED
~Bellydancer~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
juanita

I learned to take care of myself. i was always last on the list. I also became more understanding of other people. At first i was like super nice, then after being back to work the people I work with tend to have negative attitudes and I went back to that. But I realized I don't have to feed off of that and have gone back to nice, but not so nice that people walk over me.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
dhealey

I have learned to make myself number one priority,whereas before I was my last priority. Have learned to say no, will do anything fun at the drop of a hat (had to think about it before. Work is no long top priority. If I don't like doing something or it is not pleasing to me I don't do it anymore. I have a low tolerance for anything insignificant, petty, or mean. Love my husband, children and grandchildren more. Trying to live each day as it might be my last. Don't sweat the small stuff anymore, like the house needing cleaning, or laundry needing to be done. It will always be there later. Breast cancer has been a roller coaster, but it has opened my eyes.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Mary Jo

Breast cancer has changed me in so many ways. It has taught me what life is really about. It has taught me that life is short and that leaving this world is something that will happen to each of us. It has taught me to embrace the REAL possesions a long the way and to live my life giving REAL love away. To live a life of service to others - to help other women walk this journey and to encourage and love them a long the way. It has taught me that God is awesome regardless of a diagnosis of cancer. He has brought me into close fellowship with Him and that is where I find my true rest and peace. It has taught me to prepare and get ready for the life that waits for me on the "other side." I've learned that this life is only preparation for what is to come. We can have that REAL JOY right now - because God gives that to us......regardless of the situation we are in. I've learned that what we thought was happiness or we thought was security NEVER stays that way no matter what. We can all think we'd be happier "if only" but that "if only" only turns into another "if only" so we need to take that true peace and joy our God offers us right where we are right now and live our lives relishing each moment in love and service to other people.

That's what being diagnosed with breast cancer has done for me.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
schoolteacher

Marejo,

That was beautiful.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
goops

Breast cancer has taught me to live in the now and to appreciate people and the things I have instead of worrying about silly things.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Carol Carlson

Being diagnosed with B.C. in March of '04 certainly has changed my attitude about life in general and was a major
" wake-up" call. Since I am by nature a " people pleaser" , I had to make some real changes in my life. My values, personality, and beliefs have not really changed, but how I react to and think about how things will affect ME has changed. I try to stay away from situations that might put me in a stressful situation, I do have more tolerance and empathy for people who, through no fault of their own, are facing tough times. I absolutely know that material things are just that ... " things" . I cherish times with my children and grandchildren. I really don't care if there is a little dust on the piano or if I decide to stay in bed until 9AM. I read books that have some meaning to me instead of those being " cranked out" by authors whose themes are so predictable. Though I don't feel as though I have to be intellectually stimulated all day either. If I feel like watching a dumb movie
while my husband is watching either the history or science channel ... so what....
I'm kinder to myself and don't have to be told that I'm a good person, because I already know it.
Cancer and it's fear tapped me on the shoulder and I will never be totally the same person again.
I talk to God more and am very honest with feelings.
My friends have been wonderful, but now that I'm a 4 year survivor, they sometimes sort of forget that I even went through that dreadful year of treatment in 2004.
This web site is my true life line because we all understand.. like no one else.
Carol
dx. 3/04
IDC 2.2CM primary with 3 DCIS
4/18 pos. nodes er/pr/ neg... her2pos.
partial mastectomy and axillary node dissection
dd A/C.. 4 Taxol
37 Rads.. 1 year herceptin finished May 2006
4 year survivor.. yeeha....
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Sherryg683

It has brought me so much closer to God. I always believed in him but took him for granted and rarely prayed. During the darkest hours when I thought I couldn't get through it, he was there and helped me. I honestly thought I would not be alive a year and facing death has made me stronger. It has also made me think so much about eternity and living for it. I no longer let the little things eat me alive and also have little patience with people who get so upset over stupid things. I think.."if only they knew". I am hoping it has made me a kinder, gentler person..I am working hard on that. It has made me more compassionate for those that are suffering or hurting, I am a better listenener and not so self centered. It now touches me deeply when something bad happens to someone, where as before I didn't give it much thought. It has made me more thankful for what I have. The things that have happened the last 2 years have made me realize that we are not guaranteed tomorrow and that we better live today. It has made me stop working so had and spend more time with my children. Since my diagnosis I have spent so many wonderful days in the park with my little girl. It hasn't been all good though, not nearly...cancer has shown me what true fear is. It has shown me what I have to lose...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote