HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Caregivers Corner
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Caregivers Corner Dedicated to those who support their loved ones.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
cjjhero

Great news!

My sister had a double mastectomy on February 5, 2015. She also is having reconstruction surgery. 5 weeks later she suffered a small setback with a MRSA infection in one of the drain sites and had emergency surgery to have the left breast expander removed. She is doing very well. The plastic surgeon believes that she can have the expander replaced in a few months. The right expander is doing well.

The good or great news is there was no evidence of cancer in the breast pathology report. The breast surgeon reported that she believes she is cancer free since there was no evidence of the cancer anywhere except the right breast. They did take 1 lymph node and it was also biopsied. Her CT and MRI scans were clear. She had chemo prior to the mastectomy.

The breast surgeon recommended to stop herceptin but her oncologist still wants her to finish her course of treatment for 1 year. She will return to the herceptin treatment once her infection is cleared up.

The oncologist did mention that he is pleased to have a HER2+ success story.

She fought hard through this demon called HER2+ breast cancer.

I am so very grateful to all those who have given needed advise when faced with the uncertainties of her treatment.

Now, it's a new road to becoming a survivor of breast cancer for her. I pray all those on this site may one day be free of this beast called cancer.
Blessings and hope to all the warriors and survivors.
cjjhero is offline   Reply With Quote