HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #21
Kavy

Kate,

I already PM you. I just want to add that I will be praying for you on Thursday too.
A big hug,

KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #22
lu ann

I was on TCH 3 years ago and had a very positive result. My CA15 tumor markers, which were 345 at diagnosis were normal after 4 months of tx.. I also had the same weekly schedule which was easier on my body. I didn't lose all my hair and it started to grow back the 5th month of treatment. I also didn't have as much aches and pains. I'll continue to pray that you will have healing. Love and Blessings, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #23
tousled1

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement.

Alice, it was determined to be lung mets via the amount of uptake in the nodes. No biopsy is scheduled at this time - thank God, as I understand that's not too comfortable a thing.

The "big guns" as my oncologist put it refers to the Tykerb, Xeloda combo. Hopefully I won't need them.

I'm just hoping that Taxol will be esier on me than the Taxatore!

But, whatever the side effects I'm ready for the fight!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #24
hutchibk

Kate- Taxol was MUCH easier for me than Taxotere. (though I had Taxotere with Big Red and Cytoxan, so it's hard to determine which was the most evil of all...)

My only noticeable side effects on Taxol were fatigue and the periperal neuropathy of numb fingertips and numb toes and balls of my feet. That has already pretty much cleared up for me after only 4 months off of Taxol. And glutamine is very helpful for mitigating the numbness, and no interference with the chemo. (one scoop glut. powder in a shot of juice 3xday). B6/BComplex are also very helpful, but I believe you can't take it 24 hours prior to Carbo or 5 days post Carbo due to interference.

The Carbo gave me the mildest form of queasiness for about 2 days after a treatment, but totally tolerable. Oh and the ever popular baldie renaldie look. (and with Carbo in the mix, my hair didn't grow at all like the sprigs that came in on Taxol alone)

The Herceptin caused the hallmark drippy nose and drippy eyes. (Patanol eyedrops seemed to help)

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Kate!
I found that Taxol was much easier on me than Taxotere!!!! Much!
I did Taxol with Carboplatin and herceptin and it wasn't too bad. I did do all the prep stuff to make it easier and I did have stomach problems, but got a "magic little blue pill" (sorry, I don't know what it was) that took care of it in minutes!!! That's one thing I didn't play games with. It taught me to "take care of business" quickly! Well, anyway, I do think that you will find the Taxol doable.
It was when I started the taxol combo that I decided that "attitude is everything"! I walked faithfully each day and treated myself well. I bought eyelashes that never came out of the box, but made me feel better just knowing they were there, just incase I got invited to the "Cinderella's Ball"!!!
Kate, I'm pulling for you to do super well on the treatment and to get the results you need. You deserve the best life possible!
I think my appreciation for all the huge "little things" in life has been my reward for fighting BC.
Have a marvelous day and know that you are loved and prayed for daily.
mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #26
tousled1

Brenda, I too had "big red" and cytoxan with the Taxatore so maybe that's why I had such problems. All I know is that it did it's job.

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement -- I'm going to kick these mets to the curb! I don't mind if I lose my hair as I think I secretly have a hat fetish.

I have my first treatment of my chemo "cocktail" Friday morning. I'll keep you posted.

I can't express how much your support and words of encouragement mean to me. You are a greoup of very special women and I'm lucky to have you in my life.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #27
hutchibk

And we are lucky to have you! Dig in and grit your teeth... you will do fine!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #28
Bev

Best wishes Kate. I'll be looking for updates on your progress. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #29
Faith in Him

Sending prayers your way

Hi Kate.

I wanted you to know that I have been praying for you and your family and I will continue to keep you in my daily prayers.

I think that you are displaying great courage as you face this newest development and I am believing that your new chemo treatment will get you back to NED.

Blessings.

Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #30
Catherine

Kicking Butt and Kicking Mules

Kate,

I have this image of all of us standing in a line and kicking like mules. Really makes me smile.

I am glad that "our team." agrees with your doctor's recommendation for the TCH. I am also glad to hear that some say TCH is easier to tolerate than A/C.

I agree, a margarita would taste better than all the cocktails they give us.

You go girl, Hugs, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #31
hutchibk

If we could invent Vanilla Latte flavored barium and convince the nurses to drip Margaritas along with our chemo, we might be on to something!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 07-23-2007, 04:06 AM   #32
dhealey

Kate, You have such a beautiful spirit, I know you will pull through this one. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad I have found this site as you all are so knowlegable and have such a fighting spirit. It is what keeps me fighting. God Bless!
Debbie, North Carolina
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #33
Emelie

Kate,
Now you have a plan of attack and I know that is just what you will do. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I was thinking about all day. I hope this treatment is easy on you and that you remain as optimistic as you sound.
Postive thoughts coming your way,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote