HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
RalphIII

Re: Early Stage Breast Cancer and Herceptin????

Hey LeahM,

Yes, partly why I wanted to inquire here is because much of the information I've come across is several years old. Since posting, I did speak with a nurse rep at Herceptin in inquiring about their criteria. We are actually meeting the surgeon in a few hours for finals results, btw. Your explanation was very good also in regards to Her2+.

My Dad was a supervisor at a Hospital System for 30+ yrs and we have/had many many close ties there. I'm used to that atmosphere, so it's not entirely a stress issue, though that is a part of it. I'm just one that likes to be informed in every regard but wanted some personal accounts in regards to Herceptin, as I can only get here.

God bless,
Ralph
RalphIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Lani

Re: Early Stage Breast Cancer and Herceptin????

There is always a gap between guidelines, the most recent literature and practice

Guidelines do not yet cover the quandary as to how small a her2 + tumor should receive herceptin. If you go to the search function on the burgundy bar above and type in small tumors and Lani I am sure I have posted on this (or search pubmed and SABCS and ASCO meeting indexes) Neil Love's audio series often questions leading on oncologists on how they treat "small"her2+ tumors.

That said, I just wanted you to know that if your wife is premenopausal the magnitude of her Ki67 varies with what phase of the menstrual cycle she was in when the biopsy/surgery was done.

Lots of things go into the "cost/risk/benefit" analysis of adjuvant herceptin--including your risk aversion and how you weigh each risk ie, cardiac dysfunction from herceptin(usuallly reversible) vs doing everything possible to guard against recurrence.

Hope this helps
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote