HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Peggy

Question Question about fatigue

I finsihed Neoadjuvant chemo a year ago, and herceptin in June, 06. I was slowly getting my strength and energy back and even had some days when I awoke feeling really good. Then about a month ago the fatigue came back with a vengence. I wake up in the morning thinking "I am SO tired." By the end of the day I am really dragging. My cycle is from overwhelming fatigue to just tired. I don't have any of the "good" days. So, has anyone else had this second round of major fatigue after finishing treatment? It is very frustrating...rest and sleep don't help. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
juanita

Finished herceptin June 06 and had started feeling really good till about a week and a half ago. Then it got to where I didn't even want to get out of bed I was so tired. I'd been to see my onc and he said it could be awhile till I am completely back to normal. So hang in there, maybe it's the same for you.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Lolly

I don't want to alarm you but you should see your onc if it goes on much longer...2 weeks of persistent symptoms is usually the rule in follow-up after cancer tx.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Peggy

Thanks

Thanks to both of you. Glad to know someone else has experienced this and will also call about an appointment. I have my 4 mo. followup visit scheduled in early December, but maybe I can move it up a bit. I have no reason to believe anything is wrong, but I sure do get tired!

Thanks again.

Peggy
3 Years NED!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
karen raines hunt

Hi Peggy,

I finished 1 yr of Herceptin in July 06 and at that point was feeling great! Then in Sept, I felt like I "hit the wall." I wasn't scheduled to see my oncologist until Dec, but made an appt to see her a ffew weeks ago. She did blood tests, examined me and had me get some scans. Everything checked out ok. I am feeling less anxious about the symptoms being a recurrence, but still don't feel as strong as I did this summer.
Karen
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Peggy

Thanks

Karen,

I really appreciate your response. I wonder if this is just another side effect that occurs later? I think getting an appointment and checking it out is the thing to do...it is very strange. Hope you're feeling better.

Peggy
3 Years NED!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
MJo

I haven't finished Herceptin yet, but after I finished radiation I think I felt a kind of emotional tiredness in addition to the physical. I had been cheerleading myself through the intense treatment -- chemo and radiation. When I got to the every three week Herceptin stage, I think I kind of collapsed. I wasn't a patient anymore. I had time to think about things. I am glad you are getting yourself checked out. And thanks for this info.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
saleboat

Hello,

Oh, I'm so with all of you! We all seem to be on the same track-- I was dx'd in 4/05, and finished chemo a year ago, radiation in January and Herceptin in July. I want more energy! I had a very full day yesterday-- out of the house at 8 am, and back at 10 pm-- and today I'm so tired. This schedule never used to phase me. I guess we need to be patient, but I'm sick of it!

Good luck,
Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #9
Becky

Just another thought here (or two).

The first is that it is getting to be that time of year. The sunshine is beginning to wane and for many of us, so is the warmth of summer. For all of us, the hectic holiday season is upon us with shopping, cooking and spending (and lack of $$$$$$). It is a stressful time of life regardless of one's health situation.

Secondly, many of us are truly moving from the treatment mode into our first attempts of embracing survivorship. This takes as much work as getting through treatment and unlike treatment, embracing survivorship entails a lot of trial and error on what will work for each of us.

Working through this as well as the upcoming holiday season, colder weather and less sunlight are all cause for fatigue.

Kindest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Peggy

Thanks Becky...I think you have a big piece of the puzzle. Patience is not my strong suit...but I am developing a much more patient attitude! Thanks for the reminders.

Peggy
3 Years NED!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
Alice

Hi,

I was beggining to feel alone with my fatigue. It sounds like many of us are about in the same phase of post treatment and I don't feel so abandoned.
I finished neo chemo sept 05 sx oct 05 rads 1 06. I was able to do herceptin until 6/06 had to stop from heart damage.I felt much stronger in April of this year working full time then about mid July the fatigue hit again. I went to my onc and she told me that she feels the herceptin can cause fatigue up to 6 months after your last dose and she thinks it can continue to cause heart damage after it is stopped. I know it is the only option left for many of us but it may not be as benine(sp?) as it seems.Good luck and I agree that seeing your onc is a good idea.
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
Lani

there are two threads

one for symptoms while on herceptin, real or perceived...the other for symptoms which improved (or started) after herceptin finished which hope to paint a more complete picture than on the product information label of herceptin.

If you put a note regarding this in those threads should they ever be looked at by Genentech, some researcher, newspaper reporter or other, they might paint a more complete picture.(ie, what's missing from this picture?...) Thanks!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
Her2nSue

Hi Ladies,

I've read all your posts and am so glad that it's just not me. I thought I was being a wimp. I'm still on herceptin till Feb. and thought I'd give going back to work (sp.ed.assoc.) a shot. After the first two full days of school, I looked as though I hadn't slept in weeks. So, I cut back my hours. My blood work kept coming back that all was good, so I continued on with work. I kept telling my husband how tired I felt more so that I was during the summer. It just sorta washes over you and you're drop dead tired. My hours have been cut back again and when I get home, I nap for at least 1 1/2 hrs to sometimes 2 hours and then I can still sleep at bedtime. I sure miss my "old" self and energy, but glad it's just not all up in my head in feeling so fatigued.

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote