HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
Morgan

Anybody taken tamoxifen after 10years of arimidex?

Hi, I am 11 years post diagnosis :-) I am wondering if anyone has taken tamoxifen after 10 years of arimidex?

I was diagnosed aged 45 in June 2005, I chose to have bilateral mastectomy and then had chemo, radiotherapy and year of herceptin. I started arimidex in Feb 2006 and have been on it ever since. I had an appointment yesterday at the breast clinic and was advised that I shouldn't be on arimidex any longer, I said I was worried and really wanted to keep taking it but doc said that after 10 years my body would have got used to it so really wouldn't be getting the protection...he then said I could have 5 years on tamoxifen.

I had heard of cross talk between Her2 and tamoxifen but didn't look into it as had hysterectomy aged 42 so didn't apply to me as I could take arimidex. I have had a google now but to be honest haven't a clue :-( Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Morgan
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Carol Ann

Re: Anybody taken tamoxifen after 10years of arimidex?

Hi Morgan,

I am only into my third year on Arimidex, but I know I was told by my onc that Tamoxifen is only for premenopausal women. Before I started it, I would want to see the studies showing it was beneficial at preventing mets/recurrence in postmenopausal women.

Is it possible to take a break from the Arimidex and then start again? In either case, I would want more info and hard data to support taking either drug at this point. The studies supporting 10 years of Arimidex are just coming out, so using it beyond that is breaking new ground. But here too, where is the evidence that it is NOT helping? If you are doing ok on it, where is the data to suggest your body as suddenly "gotten used to it"? I would be very hesitant to stop too ... if something aint broke, don't fix it, as the old saying goes!

I had two estrogen positive tumors, so my doc has already started pushing for me to be on the 10 year plan with Arimidex. Beyond that ... I can see myself feeling just like you do now!

It could be your doc is offering Tamoxifen just so you both can feel you are doing something to prevent mets/recurrence. I woud want solid evidence it would really decrease my chances of the cancer coming back ... I have never taken it, I was postmenopausal when I was diagnosed, but it seems like the side effects can be pretty sucky from what I have read and heard. Definitely only worth it if it is a definite benefit.

Also, can you get a second opinion?

Keep us posted! In the end, it is great that you are a 10 year survivor, that is wonderful news right there!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
Becky

Tamoxifen, at one time, was the only drug available before AIs. Postmenopausal women and premenopausal women can take it. Only postmenopausal women can take an AI. I am on my eleventh year on Arimidex. I will ask my onc about getting used to it. I see him soon.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Carol Ann

Thanks for the clarification, Becky!

Back in the '80s my best friend got breast cancer twice (a local recurrence in the same breast) in her late 20's. Tamoxifen had just become available; her doctor gave her the option to try it or not, because "its efficacy hadn't been proven yet." She elected NOT to take it ... and is still here 30 years later and doing great.

Just the same, I am more than grateful to have all the treatment options that just weren't available 30 years ago!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Lien

Why would you want to keep taking anything after 10 years? Did you have advanced stage disease? Other risk factors? I had 5 years of Arimidex and decided to quit, as the risk reduction after that was supposed to be quite small. I am 12.5 years out from diagnosis now and I was 44 when I was diagnosed.

Taking drugs always brings side effects. In the case of AI's, bone health is an issue. It is not at all certain that bisphosphonates reduce the risk of fractures, even if they do seem to increase bone density. My Dad had been on bisphosphonates for a year while taking prednisone, and his osteoporosis is significant still. He also fractured his foot by just walking. So I would be concerned about that.

We don't have a clue what these hormone treatments do to us in the long run, so I decided to quit. It might protect me from my relatively small chance of having a breast cancer recurrence, but increase my risk of cardiovascular disease, for instance.

So I decided to do everything and anything I could do to keep my breast cancer risk as low as possible, quit drinking alcohol, started exercising more and more regularly and started watching my diet. I have not had a recurrance so far.

There are no guarantees in this breast cancer crapshoot. We have no christen ball and we don't know what all these meds will do in the long run. So we collect all the info we can find and then make an educated guess.

Just my two cents.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Lien

Christal ball, pesky autocorrect set to Dutch language...
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Carol Ann

Jacqueline,

You make some good points! When I reach my 5 year point, I wonder if my onc will be able to show me the risk reduction for me in plain percentages/numbers ... the only thing stopping me from saying "I quit!" at the 5 year point is the fact I had 2 highly ER positive tumors (One ductal/one lobular), one in each breast. That seems to double my risk of everything ... even at a Stage 1 diagnosis for each.

One day at a time. It is all a crapshoot and there are no guarantees.

I am always so thankful for everyone's input here!!

Carol Ann

Old 07-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
tricia keegan

I stopped Arimidex after eight years on the advice of my Onc but she's recently asked me to continue taking it for another two years and said the latest study proved without doubt that ten years is more beneficial than five. However she didn't mention anything about taking it after then so I'm surprised as to your Onc putting you on Tamox now.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Morgan

Thanks for the replies.

Carol Ann, by the time you get to 10 years out there will more data available looking at the use of AI for 10+ years. I was very fortunate that AI were just being used here in Scotland when I was diagnosed in 2005 and also herceptin was becoming available for primary breast cancer so yes I was lucky to have them both but as far as AI goes there's not enough data about to say if 10 or 15 years is worth doing. I'm just not sure about taking tamoxifen.

Jacqueline, you sound just like my husband!! I was diagnosed in June 2005 age 45, I was Her2+++ and highly ER+, grade 2, one lymph node positive and 2.75cm. I had a bilateral mastectomy (my decision due to strong family history) followed by 4 Epirubicen, 4 weeks radiotherapy then 4 Taxotere. I finished my chemo in Feb 2006 and stated herceptin in June 2006. I appreciate all you are saying regarding unknown risks of long term use of AI, I just get so stressed out with the thought of recurrence, I think the fact I lost my mum to BC when I was16 and she was only 48 doesn't help even though I know we now live in a completely different cancer world :-) I also watch my diet, exercise and have never really drank alcohol.

Becky, if your onc has any thoughts please let me know. At the hospital I attend endocrine therapy is managed by the surgeons and not the oncologists. My surgeon is also a research professor and regularly gives talks in the US 5 or 6 times per year and is very highly thought of. I have never doubted him in the past but the word tamoxifen sent me into a panic :-( I just remembered years ago that Her2 and tamoxien didn't get on! Do you know anything about this? He also said the Her2 risk would be past now as it tends to recur earlier, have you also heard this?

Tricia, it has taken me so long to type this that you have also replied! He did say to finish the arimidex that I had so I have another couple of months worth to make up my mind and a few more people to contact. I will let you know what I find out.

Anyway thanks again and sorry for the long post but I am just a bit confused and stressed!!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
Morgan

Not sure if this link will work...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36455719
Old 07-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
Carol Ann

Thanks, Morgan!

Carol Ann

Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
jaykay

Interesting conversation. My two cents: I'd rather have wooden splints under my fingernails than go back on tamoxifen. I tolerated it for 4.5 years because there was nothing else available at the time and was delighted to move to Femara for 5 years. Total 9.5 years on anti-estrogen.

Unfortunately, I had a new primary about 4 years ago and have been back on Femara for the past 3 years. My plan is to NEVER go off Femara again unless they come up with a new drug. Granted, it's killing my bones and it would be nice if I had just a little bit of estrogen in my body but the alternative stinks. Regarding the bones - my endocrinologist is reluctant to put me on biosphosphonates since I've been on a variety over the years and new studies have found that extended use is bad for the "normal" person. I've been diagnosed with osteopenia for the past 20 years but am holding my own.

I hadn't heard that your body becomes accustomed to the drug but wouldn't switching to another AI help address that?

Becky, please let us know what your doctor says.

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #13
caya

I think everyone's case is different, as the docs always tell us.

I did not see anywhere in the studies where the stage at diagnosis, any nodes etc. and Her2 status had any bearing on the need to take an AI for 10 years+. In fact, in one study, Dr. Nick Turner, a BC specialist from the Institute of Cancer Research in London, specifically states "But this won't be for everyone, many will be low risk and can probably safely stop at five years (of aromatase inhibitors)."

I was stage 1, no nodes. My onc. told me at the beginning that no node involvement was a very significant (in a good way) prognostic factor. I did 2.5 years Tamox, as I was pre-menopausal when diagnosed, then 2.5 years of Femara. I went into osteoporosis from the Femara and did one infusion of Reclast to help with this. At my 5 year mark of anti-hormonals, which was July 2012, my onc. recommended I stop taking them. For me, she thought the risks of other issues would not be worth the possible very small benefit of preventing a recurrence. Of course the 10 year study figures were not out yet, and I have my annual check up with her in about 10 days and I will discuss it again with her.

But as Jacqueline points out, these are very hard drugs on your body, and if you don't really need to take them, if you are in the "low risk" group, I think this is an important consideration. Are there any figures/studies with triple+ stage 1 no nodes cases? I would be very interested in those specifics.

As many of us also say, it's a crap shoot. I'll be 10 years out this October, and I know I've done the best I can to avoid recurrence. I've lost weight (still working on losing more), I exercise more and eat better - way more veggies, lean protein, no gluten, low carb. No booze (a glass of wine maybe once a month, if that). No smoking of any kind.

Everyone needs to discuss this with their doctors, I can see the merits of staying on AIs for more than 5 years if your stats meet the criteria.

JMHO.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 08-05-2016 at 05:39 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
Jean

Hi Becky,
I came off of my AI for 3 weeks after 10 years plus.
I needed a vacation. The past year I have experienced joint pain in my knees. I was not having any issues for 10 years and all of sudden it was like a door slammed shut.

I also had stopped taking some of vit. such as Fish Oil,
Vit D3. So during my 3 week break I went back on my
full routine again.

I felt great rather fast once I stopped the AI which surprised me. It was just about three days and the joint pain was almost all gone.

When I saw my onc. in April he suggested since the news was so good on the ten year trails and I was feeling good to continue.

I see him again in Oct. Becky please share what hear you from your onc.

Good Wishes to all.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo