HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Beth

I am her2+++, ER+, just had mastectomy 2 weeks ago. Despite what appeared to be a successful neoadjuvant chemo response (4 AC dose dense, 12 weeks Taxotere), I unfortunately had a 7x3x4 cm tumor and 6/9 positive nodes when all was said and done. Given the new research I am pushing my onc to give me herceptin. In my research, have run across a few items indicating that their might be some synergy between herceptin and radiation. I am to start radiation this week. Wondered if anyone knew about benefits of coupling herceptin and radiation, where I might be able to learn more.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Steph N

This is a very good question.
Perhaps some of the ladies on trials with herceptin after chemo will know when they start herceptin in relation to their radiation. Can't recall if this has been precisely addressed in all the posts about those trials.
I did not get herceptin until 3 months after finishing radiation when my mets appeared. That was in Jan of 2001, so a lot has progressed in this subject since that time.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Lyn

Hi, I have been having Herceptin for a few years no and have also been having Radiation since 1998 on and off and have not had any reaction having them both together, also had chemo, carboplatin, while having radiation which enhances the radiation.

Big Hugs Lyn
Old 07-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
kRISTEN

Hi, I had radiation after my study just because I wanted to cover all the bases. My onc didn't think I needed it but my radiation onc said Her2 is a gray area and said that I was in good enough health to go thru it. I had 30 tx. At the time I was having Herceptin every 3 weeks and didn't have any problems. I just felt better knowing I did everything I could. Static wise I don't know. For me it was peace on mind.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
eric

I did read that herceptin can enhance the effect of the radiation, however you may want to consider which breast the tumor was in. My wife's was on her left side and her doc wouldn't give her the herceptin during radiation out of concern for her heart. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Eric
Old 07-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Cindi

Beth,

I received 28 rads while on weekly Herceptin (from clinical trial). There were no problems. After the year long trial my Muga was at 55% and then 6 months after trial ended it was back up to 71%. I had read about the synergy between Herceptin and radiation and my oncs concurred.

Cindi.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
jeff

Hi,

My partner Rachel consciously decided to have radiation and herceptin as adjuvant treatment at the same time because of what he had read about possible herceptin/radiation synergy (mostly from a relatively small Japanese study that was reported at last year's San Antonio Breast Care conference; you could search their website at sabcs.org for the abstract). Meanwhile, in the most recent issue of breastcancerupdate.com, Melody Cobleigh who is a major researcher in Chicago, discusses in an interview how she wants to launch a trial using radiation and herceptin simultaneously for women with DCIS that is her2+ to try to exploit this possible synergy...

Best of luck,
Jeff
Old 08-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #8
Beth

Thanks for the leads. I've since heard from asst to my rad onc that they have pursued protocols using herceptin and radiation without problems. I don't know yet whether my dr. will think its right for me. My right breast was one with cancer. Will let you all know if I hear/learn other info.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:21 AM   #9
merry

I was advised to do radiation & herceptin concurrently by my oncologist. It seems that research is showing that the use of both simultaneously is far better than using them independently. I had a MUGA scan done first, and the treatment left me nauseus and tired but OK.