HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
psychos97

15 months out, to long for herceptin?

my wife finish chemo 15 months ago, she is her2 positive, had a both mass. and now is finished with reconstruction,but her onocologist says she to for to do any good, do anyone have any information on this? would herceptin be worth a try or not?
psychos97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Unregistered

Hi- I stopped chemo for five years and was NED. Then a few spots appeared on my lungs. My doc prescribed herceptin and xeloda which I have been getting for nearly six months. One of them is working because my spots are shrinking. Of course much prayer is added to the mix. God Bless, Cathy
Old 10-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
jjfromcanada

Go for it. I am even further out and one of my oncs strongly suggested it. In my case, since I am er/pr-, it is my only hope.
jjfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
Barbara2

I was 26 months out of chemo when I started Herceptin. Just had treatment #20 yesterday. Planning to have 52 treatments. Contemplating adding Taxol somewhere along the way, as I didn't get it with initial treatment.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
Unregistered

thanks, from psychos97

thanks for the imfo. this all kinda came up real fast,about taking herceptin, that im alitte scared what i might found out. we both love her oncol. so am not sure how to ask her about why she said my wife was to far out to do any good. can anyone out there think why she would give us that answer?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

Wink Herceptin is worth it

I would have to say Herceptin is the Magic Bullet for most HER2 + BC patients. It works well and also works most effectively with other chemo agents such as taxotere for a shorter course. Herceptin alone continues to be my now and future drug of choice with no more cancer detected for the past 5 years.
Iwould also like you to know there are no toxic effects to discourage a patient from taking Herceptin. Ihave been diligent about checking my heart with Echo-cardiograms for over 6 yrs. with no indication of low ejection fraction. I would definitely look into getting Herceptin for your wife or anyone as adjuvant therapy for a year in earlier stages. I continue to take Herceptin as a Stage 4 patient and have a great quality of life.
Hugs and well wishes, Christine

Last edited by christine; 10-13-2005 at 06:43 PM..
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
Barbara2

You could tell your onc what you learned here from others who have taken herceptin quite some time after finishing chemo. There are some people who have commented that their oncologists called them and suggested starting the chemo, even though their treatments were long past.

She may have said it was too late to do any good because in truth I don't think anyone knows for certain how Herceptin will work for those who receive it so late. But yet many oncs agree that there may be much benefit from trying the herceptin even at a late date. It is certainly a gamble that many are willing to take.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote