Hopeful

Exclamation Genentech receives FDA Refuse to File Letter for T-DM1

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...b-DM1-BLA.aspx

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
StephN

Re: Genentech receives FDA Refuse to File Letter for T-DM1

Appalling news ... I hope they can appeal somehow.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Genentech receives FDA Refuse to File Letter for T-DM1

More on this unhappy news

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE67Q03620100827
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
SunDiego

This makes me sick.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...fBFFwD9HRUKQG0

Here is the key sentence in the release: "In its review of the BLA, the FDA stated the T-DM1 trials did not meet the standard for accelerated approval because all available treatment choices approved for metastatic breast cancer, regardless of HER2 status, had not been exhausted in the study population."

In other words, Genentech made a mistake in which clinical trials it chose to do. The current study can't serve as the basis for approval. The company says it "believes firmly" in T-DM1, and that it plans to file for approval in mid-2012 based on as-yet-uncompleted studies.

Essentially this delays by at least TWO YEARS the FDA approval of TDM-1. What was Immunogen thinking?! This doesn't change the trials, but certainly a major setback for those (like my wife) who was hoping access it outside of a trial.
SunDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
sarah

This is terrible and the fact that they say "the T-DM1 trials did not meet the standard for accelerated approval because all available treatment choices approved for metastatic breast cancer, regardless of HER2 status, had not been exhausted in the study population."
what has non-HER2 bc got to do with HER2 positive cancer????!!!
It's outrageous and a letter writing campaign to representatives in Congress is in order. I'm sure Genetech will be helpful in suggesting the best course of action.
sarah
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Hopeful

FDA Guidance on "Refuse to File":http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/G.../UCM080561.pdf

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Unregistered

Or, it could mean that Genentech was given faulty guidance on the early application and then the FDA backtracked. It could also mean that the FDA didn't like how Avastin played out and is now making sure they don't approve a drug and need to backtrack on it so it sounds like it could be a purely political move by the FDA. Wouldn't be the first time. I hope the breast cancer groups scream loudly on this one, they need to on behalf of the patients. Unfortunately, the way oncology clinical trials are designed, based on FDA guidance and regulations, death is the primary endpoint with the better, more effective drugs often taking longer to approve because they WORK. Talk about bitter irony!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Pam P

I'm devastated reading this news. It's so disappointing and seems too unfair. Many of us can't wait 2 years - I hope something can happen sooner to remedy this.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
tricia keegan

Saddened to read this news
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
schoonder

Yes, this ruling can be appealed.
FDA, our wonderful beaurocratic agency chose to literally interpret rules and regulations dealing with new drug acceptance process.
They opted to issue a letter of Refusal to File eventhough guidelines in execution of RTF gave the agency freedom to forgo this decision if and here I insert an excerpt from this regulation:

"The agency may, for particularly critical drugs, not use the RTF procedure, even where it could be invoked or might review parts of a refused application if it believes that initiating the full review at the earliest possible time will better advance the public health"

This exclusion to go the RTF route clearly shows the "spirit" in which this regulation was written. It basicly informs FDA leaders that circumstances may arise that are so critical to well being of its citizenry, to provide requestor with sufficient leeway to see a particular drug become available to public at earliest possible time. Yes, that was the only reason to insert excerpt's paragraph, to better advance the public's health, no more, no less, but FDA chose to ignore criticallity of their act in keeping this drug from extremely ill patients for at least two years.

Would it be surprising if Roche, in view of FDA's decision that T-DM1 is not a particular critical drug, discontinues their recently initiated compassionate use trial? I don't really have an answer to that.
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Nancy L

Does anyone know the names of the FDA review committee who made this judgment? I am interested if any are oncologists who are really up on Her2 breast cancer or for that matter, any kind of breast cancer. What we all have is unique and very different from other breast cancers and the FDA needs to understand this. Making us receive every chemo invented for breast cancer before new targeted therapies for Her2 is absolutely crazy and not cost effective either.

I am going to ask Dr. Slamon if the Her2 oncology community is going to protest this decision.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Midwest Alice

We will address this, I am sure we will hear soon our plan of action.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Barbara H.

This decision is unbelievable. I started this drug in September, 2007. At the time I had enough pain in my hip from bone mets that I could not sleep more than two hours at night. I had just started teaching again and was desperate for this trial to open. It did, and my pain was completely gone two days after I had my first infusion. It worked for me for two years until I had to go off because of a rare side effect of lung inflammation. I am the only person I know who has had this side effect. I have been on Tykerb and Herceptin since this past October and it is also working. I am thrilled because both T-DM1 and Tykerb have been very easy drugs to tolerate. I basically feel as if I am not even being treated. I could go back on TDM-1 with cautious monitoring once it becomes available. I was hoping that it would be an option at the point that Tykerb begins to fail.

I feel really sad about this decision because I am convinced that there are many of us with HER-2 breast cancer who would greatly benefit from this drug, and at the same time lead an excellent quality life while being treated.

I wish the people who made this decision had spoken to the patients for whom this drug has been so life changing.

This has been a difficult year for many here, and devastating for us for losing Joe. My heart goes out for those of you that were hoping to use this drug soon.

Kind regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
hutchibk

I have sent a question on to my friend (in IT) at Genentech to see if he can tell me what the rumblings are around headquarters... We definitely need to mobilize. Time to get organized, come up with a sharp, focused letter writing campaign, to include Congress people and Senators...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
hutchibk

In another article I read, Genentech says that they will broaden the late stage studies, so perhaps they will speed up the process for expanded access locations... it's our most imminent hope.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
vlcarr

This makes me so sad for all the HER2 sisters who so much need & deserve this.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
chrisy

I spoke today with Kristin at Genentech (who had been one of Joe’s key contacts there) about today's press release on the FDA refuse to file letter for T-DM1.

She sent me a copy late last night in an email that began "This was really disappointing news and I am so sorry to have to share it". She also expressed concern that the Her2 support group gets the information and support they need, given how many folks there are on T-DM1 studies (which continue) or were hoping for access via approval soon.

Current trials are ongoing at this time, and patients who are receiving TDM1 through participation in studies will be able to continue receiving it. Overall, Genentech is still working though what the FDA decision means in terms of the “big picture” and I don’t know how this might impact EAP protocols yet – but she promised to keep us posted as more information becomes available.

Having met Kristin as well as others in the TDM1 group, I believe this is not just a "company" disappointment, but one that is also personal on behalf of us - the patients they serve. I also appreciate that she totally gets that "our" reaction is way beyond disappointment.

I’m still trying to come up with the right word for how I feel about this. Does anybody have a word for “really really really frustrated and angry at how many barriers they need to throw down between us who are fighting for our lives every day…and the weapons we need to win the fight”? There are a lot of words I’ve been using, but they’re mostly more general bleep words.

And I agree….we have to speak up now! We don’t have another 2 years to wait.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
chrisy

Unregistered guest: Right on.
Schoonder: Right on.
Barbara H: Right on.
Everyone else: Right on.
Nancy L: Right on - and I would add that during my stint on TDM1 I have been able to be a productive member of society, helped turn my company around thus continuing to keep 76 people in the workforce, paid boatloads of taxes, and chaperoned 3 preteen birthday parties - none of which would have been possible if I had been cycling through resource-depleting chemos instead of effective targeted therapy.

Also, I'd love to see the FDA in a smackdown with Dr. Slamon. I just dare them.

Brenda: ok you win, I am really pissed off now. I mean look at what just happened to my avatar. You're right, it's time to take off the kid gloves and put on the brass knuckles.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
hutchibk

I emailed this to my doc and he basically said: "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

He and I both believe for the most part that the FDA should really be limited to only rule on whether or not something is dangerous to the public health. If it's not, then docs should be free to prescribe it according to best medical judgement. Of course, the direction things are going is the exact opposite of that philosophy... (rationing schemes, etc...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #20
Chelee

Chrisy,
First of all where did you get that picture of me?!

On a serious note I am completely devastated right now. This really is the worse possibly news. They have got to be kidding...2012. As a stage IV'er I'm in a bit of a hurry for access to T-DM1 as are so many others. It certainly won't hurt to make sure our voices here heard loud and clear. So who do we start with.

Nancy...great post!

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote