HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Paula O

Arm port versus chest port

If anybody here doesn't have a port yet but is going to get one, I highly reccomend an arm "Passport". Mine has been very comfortable (after an initial brief minor adjustment) and more discreet than a chest port from what I can tell. It is inserted above and on the side of the arm where there's a bend in the elbow, hardly shows and doesn't feel like anything. It apparently threads to the same place as a chest port without another scar on your chest and without the risk of puncturing a lung on insertion. I met a couple patients who had lungs collapse during their chest port insertions ---yikes---a surgeon's and patient's nightmare. It's not a common problem but a genuine risk and it does happen sometimes.

Passports have been around a long time but not many people get them and I'm not sure why because they sure seem much better from the patient point of view. With all my infusions I never saw anybody else getting hooked up with the arm port like I was. Mine worked very well and had easy access without unbottoning my shirt. The nurses thought it was wonderful and other patients who saw mine thought it was a great way to go and I did too. Anyway, I'm sharing this not to boast about the location of a port (!) but to pass along a tip that if you are going to need a port, you might want to consider an arm passport if your surgeon does them.

Anyone else here have an arm port too or heard of any disadvantages over a chest port?

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Lauriesh

Re: Arm port versus chest port

When I was deciding on one, my surgeon said she didn't like the arm ones because there is a greater risk of blood clots. Don't know if it is true, but it was enough to convince me to go with a chest one.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Jackie07

Here's an abstract on the arm port:

AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012 Aug;199(2):447-52. doi: 10.2214/AJR.11.7970.
Follow-up of radiologically totally implanted central venous access ports of the upper arm: long-term complications in 127,750 catheter-days.

Busch JD, Herrmann J, Heller F, Derlin T, Koops A, Adam G, Habermann CR.
Source

Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Center for Radiology and Endoscopy, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg 20246, Germany. jd.busch@uke.de

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

The purpose of this article is to retrospectively evaluate radiologically totally implanted central venous access ports (VAPs) of the upper arm in terms of safety, technical feasibility, and device-related complications.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Five hundred seven consecutive patients (mean [± SD] age, 59.2 ± 11.4 years) who received a totally implanted central VAP between January 2005 and July 2010 were included. The insertion procedure was performed in an interventional radiology suite using the Seldinger technique. Neither antibiotic prophylaxis nor long-term anticoagulation was administered.
RESULTS:

In 507 patients, a total of 523 devices were implanted. Of these 523 procedures, 512 complete datasets were available during follow-up. The primary technical success rate was 99.04%. All procedures were completed without major complications. During follow-up and with a total number of 127,750 days of totally implanted central VAP implantation (248 ± 279 days/patient; range, 1-1687 days/patient), 50 devices had to be revised because of complications (9.8%). Complications occurred at a mean of 114 ± 183 days (range, 1-1113 days) after placement. Early complications were noted in 21 of 512 cases (4.1%), and late complications were noted in 29 of 512 cases (5.7%). Complications were as follows: local infections, 4.9% (25/512); systemic infections, 0.4% (2/512); venous thrombosis, 1.6% (8/512); paralysis of the median nerve, 0.6% (3/512); skin dehiscence at the port site, 0.2% (1/512); and mechanical problems including catheter line displacement, port hub rotation, and catheter fracture, 2.1% (11/512).
CONCLUSION:

Radiologic placement of a totally implanted central VAP is a safe procedure with a low rate of both early and late device-related complications. The method is effective for delivery of chemotherapy, parenteral nutrition, and frequent IV medication.

and this one is about chest port?

Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2012 Nov;39(12):2404-6.
[Complications associated with the placement of subcutaneous central venous access port devices: reasons for removal and complications observed].

[Article in Japanese]
Danno K, Ohnishi T, Watanabe A, Ueda M, Yanagawa T, Kim C, Fujita S, Fujita J, Yoshida T, Tono T, Monden T, Imaoka S.
Source

Dept. of Surgery, NTT West Osaka Hospital.

Abstract

Objective: To clarify the complications associated with subcutaneous central venous access port devices, we investigated the patients who underwent placement of central venous access port devices in our hospital. Methods: Overall, 171 cancer patients who underwent placement of subcutaneous central venous access port devices (119 for chemotherapy and 52 for home parenteral nutrition) between February 2006 and December 2011 and who were followed up for 1 month, were retrospectively analyzed in this study. Univariate analysis was performed on complications related to clinical factors, including age, gender, insertion sites, intended purposes, duration of catheterization, surgeons, catheter materials, and use of bevacizumab. Results: The mean follow-up time was 213 days (range, 31-1,873), and 35 patients (20.5%) required the port device to be extracted due to complications, including infection in 24(14.0%), wound dehiscence at the port site in 2 (1.2%), obstruction of the catheter in 6 (3.5%), catheter-induced venous thrombosis in 1 (0.6%), and catheter fracture in 2(1.2%). No statistically significant differences were observed between the frequency of complications and age, gender, insertion sites, intended purposes, duration of catheterization, surgeons, catheter materials, or use of bevacizumab. Conclusion: The incidences of complications related to implantation and management of these devices are relatively high and early. Patients should be followed carefully by chest radiography at regular intervals.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-04-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
SoCalGal

Cool Re: Arm port versus chest port

Thanks for sharing your info.
I'd like to remind people that you can DECLINE to have a port installed if, like me, you prefer not to have yet another "thing" installed in your body. I believe that for many, the port is installed as a convenience to their doc's. And for many, the port is installed because they prefer not to "get stuck" each time or due to "poor veins" (whatever that means-mine are pretty poor but it's funny how a very excellent nurse has NO trouble getting an iv in on the first try).
Just want to remind you fellow her2ers, as I recently told a friend, THE CHOICE IS ULTIMATELY YOURS!
#16+years@no-port-for-me
SO CAL GAL
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
jaykay

Just out of curiousity, wouldn't the arm port interfere with doing arm exercises, like lifting weights?

I requested a port (only have 1 good arm left) and was not even given the choice of an arm port. I honestly don't mind the chest port since I don't wear low cut tops :-)

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
karen z

I was advised against an arm port but i was very very unhappy with .....not so much the placement of the port itself (I had a smaller port not typically done by my breast surgeon- i think a mistake in hindesight- but by another team at the hospital). The line from the port went over my clavicle and (i think) maybe into my juglar. At the time I started the process I was quite thin (unlike now) and one could just see the line go over my clavicle. I was miserable the whole time I had my port and very self-conscious. I honestly hated that thing. I would have rather had an arm port if that would have been a true option for me. That is what i initially wanted and asked about but I got "talked down"---------not sure why! BTW: I was told (by two oncologist chemo nurses) that I "had" to have a port with my nearly impossible to find veins. But I have large veins in my hands (I know- not a pretty thought) and I would have rather not had the port and just have them use my hands (they seem to care about such things more than me)
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
KsGal

Same as JayKay, I don't think I was offered an option. They slipped the powerport in at the same time I had my mastectomy, and just kind of told me they were doing it. Maybe it was because I only had the one good arm....So far the chest port has been fine and haven't had any issues.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
tricia keegan

My friend had one and found for herself they are more prone to infections and there's a lot more maintanence involved in having one, also with a chest port we could both go swimming but think this was not doable with the arm port???
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Paula O

To answer Tricia's and Janis' questions: the arm port doesn't interfere with any excercise or swimming, doesnt get in the way, and isn't any more prone to infections than the chest port as it is surgically implanted BELOW the skin like a standard chest port--nothing at all is external. I put on lidocaine cream before appointments (GREAT stuff--way better than injectable IMHO) so access is pain-free. I like that the little scar or any bruising after access is so unnoticable-because it's tucked away out of view above the elbow crease on the inner SIDE part of the arm closest to the body, I've never bumped it and it barely shows. The only "maintenance" is a heparin flush after infusions or periodically to keep the line open if you are done with treatment. Again, like a chest port, there's nothing external.

I had one breast removed and it is in the opposite arm.

My breast surgeon inserts both chest and arm ports but strongly prefers arm passports and mostly does them --what she told me was that her opinion and expperience is that it is less risky, has less complications, and her patients like them a whole lot better so I was glad to be offered the option. I've never had a chest port to compare it to. I do have a couple friends with very uncomfortable chest ports like Karen described but it seems most people don't have any problems with their chest ports. I suppose any port anywhere ccould be uncomfotable or get infected or have a vessel develop thrombophebitis/clot, etc.

Like So Cal Gal said, even choosing not to have a port at all is an option that some people prefer.

I look forward to being port-free soon but was glad I got the kind I had and just wanted to let others know that it is another option out there and is a terrific alternative to a chest port IMHO.

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
tricia keegan

Thanks Paula, I think I must have been mixing this up with something else as know for sure my friend was told not to swim but can't recall the name she told me now. The arm port does sound a better way to have the chemo than the chest port going buy your recent post.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Joanne S

Mine is in my chest too. I was fortunate I didn't get it out immediately as I was able to use it for several weeks of daily IV antibiotics. And since my veins aren't very good and my port doesn't bother me, I've kept it in. I go in every two months and get it flushed. I guess we all have different mediport preferences.
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
chekmark

I was never offered a port but I had already decided against it if it had come up. I also only have one good arm and it endured all 29 IV's between surgeries and treatment, muga scans etc. Did fine but do have a lot of scar tissue from it. I just did not want a devise in my body. The scars are enough. Just my personal view on it. If they had insisted on a port I would of done it but they didn't and I am happy with that.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote