HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
StephN

Angry New WINE brand for Breast cancer!!

Oh! My Gawd! They've done it again. We can't go anyplace without being confronted by some product to support breast cancer research. How in the world are we ever to go out and just enjoy ourself in an EFFORT to forget our own breast cancer troubles with stuff like this going on??

Check out these labels - at least they are somewhat modest.

http://www.luxist.com/2007/10/10/cle...ncer-research/

This is a good case for "There OTTA be a Law!"

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Cleavage Creek?????

I am offended! I'm just saying...Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Angry Uggh!!

You know I was offended to hear of a site that sells things like:

Save the tata's
Save the boobies....is this what you are teaching our children. NO RESPECT>I know he has his plight but have some common decency!!!

And this too is very offensive and Steph, there ought to be a law like you said. Ow, the things people say and do, it almost makes the UNhuman!!!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
MichelleH

Angry OMG! What's next?! What a poor marketing idea!

I'm with you girls. Considering all the talk about the link to alcohol & beast cancer I find this very tacky. This link (between alcohol & breast cancer) has been a suspicion for many years not just recently. All I can do is just shake my head in disgust. What's next?, putting pictures & stories of lung cancer survivors on a pack of cigarettes for a fund raiser?!!

Michelle
25 rads
Dec 2006- recurrence Stage IV (diagnosed 3 days before Christmas!) Lymph nodes in chest, liver, 3 ribs
January 2007- 3 tri wkly rounds of Taxol/Herceptin
Response to lymph nodes in chest, but several more bone mets (skull, shoulders, more ribs, femur, several on spine), liver tumors still growing.
March 2007- 8 wkly rounds of Navelbine/Herceptin/ every 4th wk Zometa
Lymph nodes in chest look great, but more bone mets (of course!), Clavicles, hips, and sacrum (above tail bone) to add to the list. Liver mets still growing.
June 5- started Tykerb/Xeloda

Aug 14- Scans are showing great progress! Tumor shrinkage and bones are healing!

Nov 21 CT scan shows tumor growth in liver & bones next Doc appt on 11-27

Dire need of a lot of prayers and a miracle.
Stay at home mom, 5 yr old girl & 8 yr old boy.
Wife of loving husband
MichelleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation I'm Really Disgusted...

Picture this: Prostate cancer survivors wearing thong bathing briefs, at the beach, bulging proudly. Selling sunscreen -- w/a portion of the proceedes going to some skin cancer org., promoting the prevention of melanoma, sarcoma and basal cell carcinomas...

Of course there's the obvious -- smiling skin cancer survivors lounging in a chaise lounge in bathing suits with bandages all over their bodies, having had many parts of them gouged out to biopsy and then removed. There pictures could adorn boxes of gauze pads, w/a portion of their proceeds going to do more research.

When did vulgar insensitivity become fun????

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
chrisy

Well, I'll go against the tide a little bit. I think the labels and marketing are tacky and could easily be offensive, and in reading the comments on the link to the site, it sounds like an even worse insult is it's not REALLY GOOD wine.

However, the owner of this winery clearly understands the seriousness and devastation this disease can cause - having lost his wife of 48 years to breast cancer. I guess if you are a winemaker and you want to raise funds to eradicate the disease that just took the love of your life, maybe it's not out of line to try and leverage the business you know.

I think the motivation is good - some may (and do) disagree with the specifics of the program.

On the whole, tho, I am much more annoyed by over the top breast cancer bandwagonning (is that a word?) done by companies all over the place in October who donate a tiny tiny % to solve the problem, and are mainly in it for the marketing opportunity of being "pink"

I do agree, tho, where's the "balls out bordeaux"?
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
dhealey

I am deeply offended. The last thing I want to see is some young woman's cleavage on a wine bottle, especially after have double mastectomies. You don't see ads like this for men's prostate cancer. How degrading to those of us fighting this disease. Very insensative!!!!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Talking Chrisy -- you'll drink to anything! Tehehe :)

Chrisy, Are you drinking bordeaux? With testicular twizzle stick? Here's to manhood!

Andi

Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
StephN

Angry

Righto, Chrisy,

The wine is pricy at $50 for the cabernet, $45 for the Petit Syrah, and on down to $15 for a blended white. Even if 10% is for charity that means a $45 dollar bottle at the top end.

The KICKER for me was when I got into the winery's web site wanting to know where they would donate the 10% promised. They ADMIT that a charity or foundation has not been chosen as yet!!

Gets to sounding more like a marketing scheme as you delve into the site.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
KRISS

Well, I can see both sides. I do think some class should be given to the labeling and such. But I do not mind seeing PINK everywhere. I know a small % goes to the cause but just think of all those small % they add up. I guess I kinda wear my BC as a badge of honor. And all this month I wear pink or some sort of reminder to show the world. And that includes my TATAS are survivors Tshirt. Because they are. I work with a bunch of early thirty somethings and they all have save the tata's magnets on their cars. If it promotes awareness to other age groups I'm for it.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote