HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Susan McQ

Rash

Did anyone get a rash when they stopped Herceptin?

I did get a rash with my first dose of Taxol/herceptin last May. I had to stop herceptin due to low EF earlier this month. I normally would have received a weekly dose on April 3rd. On the 5th, the rash started.

I have not tried any new soaps, lotions, medications. makeup, fabric softener, etc. I haven't worn any new clothes without washing first. The only change is no herceptin.

The strange thing is that last December I also took a week off over the holidays and got the same type of rash. Only not nearly as bad. I am also fully aware that it could be entirely coincidental. I see my PCP today and hopefully she can give me something to get rid of this before it encompasses my entire body.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Susan McQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
mts

I beleive you will find the rash/Herceptin subject quite common as you do a search on this website. I too got a rash after I discontinued Herceptin in July 2006. I still have the rash. Comes and goes. So far, I too have tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that stops the itch is rubbing an ice cube over the itchy areas for about 5 minutes until the area is numb. What a relief!
Even if I bruise, wherever the bruise is, I get a rash directly on top of the bruise! My arms looked like I was attacked by fire ants. The inside of my elbows were crusty. Went to dermatologist because onc could not figure out way to treat it. Nothing worked.
Little by little, the rash goes away to nothing only to have it return in a flash. I will say it has gotten better in the last few weaks and I can finally wear sleeveless blouses. Keep ice in the freezer. It really helps!

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
helichrysum

Re: Rash

Thank you for posting your experiences re rash!
They keep coming and going for me too.
helichrysum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Rash

5 yrs into Vit H I developed rash on inner/outer upper arms. Burned at times like crazy. Used ice as described. Also used extremely hot water from tap as hot as I could take it. I think it distracts the body...

Also used Camphor (Rhuli gel) and Benedryl Spray.

Did 5 more yrs of H. Still have rash, but it is just there. Looks like a bad sunburn. No burning, itching. Weird. I wear self tan to cover or everyone comments, What happened to your arm???? Chemo happened... Oh dear.

Recently read BAG BALM in drugstore salve sections is a miracle cure. Discovered by farmers long ago, for chapped cow udders -- it has been discovered by the rest of us and is touted as a miracle cure. Clears up stubborn rashes like that.

If you try it, let me know your experience please.

Hey, they gave us premarin (horse urine). Many have pig valves in us, to save us. Life is weird. Have you noticed?

Love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote