HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Jackie07

'Mindfulness' tips from ABTA

[Thought this article is perfect for us - just replace 'brain tumor' with 'breast cancer'.]

Living in the Present: The Benefits of Mindfulness

Take one day at a time.
Smell the roses.
Seize the day.

These common platitudes urge us to live in and enjoy the moment. Yet doing so can be difficult when you are living with a brain tumor diagnosis. Fortunately, a meditative practice called "mindfulness" can help you to better savor each day's gifts despite your health condition and concerns.

Mindfulness can help relieve stress and is a growing movement in the mental health/wellness field. It is also a form of complementary medicine currently being integrated into healthcare settings throughout the country.

Mindfulness is a simple technique that allows you to increase your awareness of the present moment by moving away from the past or future. Instead, you are focused on thoughts, feelings and sensations as they unfold in the present moment.

Mindfulness and Living with a Brain Tumor

Mindfulness can be an invaluable strategy for living and coping with a brain tumor. First, as a formal meditative practice for relaxation (inward focus) or as a coping strategy to help manage the quality of life stressors common to living with a brain tumor (outward focus). The goal of inward mindfulness techniques is to learn how to pay attention to your mind and body with compassionate curiosity and without getting too caught up with every emotion, thought or sensation.

On the other hand, exploring outwardly focused mindful activities can also help relieve stress and improve quality of life. For example, when you feel worried or stressed, try paying attention to any sensory source such as observing nature or a sunset. By focusing on something occurring in the present moment, you will be reminded to slow down and refocus yourself. In turn, this process can naturally provide stress relief.

Inward Focus Mindfulness

Formal mindful meditation generally involves a variation of the following steps:
  1. Setting aside time to meditate or focus (the beginning of a treatment session, for example);
  2. Relaxing and paying attention to body sensations, sounds, thoughts or feelings (paying attention to the breath is a common strategy);
  3. Noticing sensations without judgment and returning attention to breathing as a focal point (the goal is to quiet the mind so that one can observe with objectivity how emotions and sensations manifest in body and mind).
Outward Focus Mindfulness

It is critical to discover mindful moments in the course of each day, when you can take a break. It can be emotionally expanding to find mindful rituals or time slots where you can re-focus on other parts of the day that bring stress relief.
Mindfulness Exercise:
The following are a sample of the mindful moments which can provide stress relief.

1. Read through the following mindful moments. If the statement evokes an image, sensation, feeling or memory of a pleasurable event, check it off and make a note of it. Throughout the course of your day, you may be able to identify additional mindful moments that can provide a sense of rest, comfort or calm; looking out a window on a snowy day, completing an assignment on time, getting home safely.

2. Explore other natural mood lifters in the blank spaces below. Generate other mindful options with friends, or members of a support group.
  1. Making a baby smile
  2. Ice cold drink when I’m really thirsty
  3. Walking into a cool air-conditioned room from the scorching heat
  4. Hitting a Home run or making a game winning play in softball
  5. A bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky
  6. Finding money in a pants pocket that I didn't realize was there
  7. Finding something I thought was lost
  8. Knowing that I have really helped someone
  9. Having one of my favorite foods when I'm starving
  10. Fast Internet connection
  11. Fixing something that's been broken or malfunctioning
  12. Going to sleep at night knowing I can sleep late the next morning
Mindfulness is not a “don’t worry, be happy” technique. At its core, mindfulness can be utilized as a coping technique, mindset, or way of life that can guide you to take a step back, assess your experiences in a balanced way and move toward compassionate self care. You owe it to yourself to discover your own pockets of rest, relief and comfort along the journey of coping and living with a brain tumor.
May you discover many the gifts of living in the present.

We would like to thank this month’s author, Dr. Reji Mathew. Dr. Mathew is a psychotherapist/clinical instructor at New York University. She is a disability advocate and freelance writer. The main focus of her work is to promote coping skills education for persons with chronic illness and disability. Her clinical expertise is in integrative psychotherapy, particularly cognitive behavioral skills training. Reach her via e-mail at her web-site rejimathewwriter.com
To learn more about the resources we offer please contact one of our Social Workers at 800-886-2282 or e-mail us at socialwork@abta.org. Please also take a moment to visit our ABTA Care and Support Web page. While visiting, be sure to read our latest edition of “The Caring Column,” a monthly column designed to answer your questions. Click here to read more.
The American Brain Tumor Association funds brain tumor research and offers services to patients and family members in the U.S. and throughout the world. Help us spread hope by supporting ABTA in its mission.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-31-2009 at 11:07 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Bill

Re: 'Mindfulness' tips from ABTA

Thank you for sharing this, Jackie.