HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
mslinda

Linda's Story

This is my story to date. I was diagnosed with IDC 12-24-04. Had put off my mamogram for about 5 months, and went to have it done 12-16-04. Two days later I was laying on the exam table having a needle biopsy. I watched it on the screen, and knew when I saw the tumor that it was bc. It looked just like all the ones I had found on the internet. My tumor was 7mm. Very small. Stage 1, Grade 1, ER-PR-, Her2neu 3+. I had a lumpectomy with clear margins on 1-5-05, 4 Centineal nodes removed, all clear. I saw my oncologyst about 6 weeks later. Breast and underarm was still not healed. She told my husband and I all the particulars about Her2neu. IDC was the most common form of BC, but only 25% of IDC was Her2Neu. Oh boy, lucky me. She scheduled me for 6 CAF's, 3 weeks apart. I had to have Neulasta the day after the last 5 treatments. My incisions were still not healed. Although they were starting to look a lot better, but I had picked up the MRSA staff infection someplace. The oncologyst told me probably from the hospital. So I had to take 3 rounds of antibiotics for that situation. I started radiation, scheduled for 38 treatments, but 3 weeks into the treatment, we were stopped as Hurricane Katrina hit the coast of Mississippi, and I live 35 miles north of the coast. We were without power for 3 weeks. So when the power returned, I went back for the balance of my radiation treatments. They intensified the balance of the treatments. Therefore, I burned. The burn would not heal. February, 2006, I had to have the radiation burn removed. That was just about the same amount of tissue they removed from the lumpectomy. Thankfully 6 weeks later, my incisions were healed after almost 16 months of unhealed incisions. I have been dealing with liver enzymes going slowly up, and then down, and up again. I have had ct scanns, Mri, bone scanns. Everything is o.k. So now I cannot take any over the counter pain meds, cannot take the statin drug that lowered my cholesterol. Still liver enzymes are just over the normal range. Didn't get Herceptin. My doctor wouldn't agree to give it to me with 0 lymph node involvement. She said the risk to the heart was too great. I'm doing very well, and am thankful each day that the Lord has brought me this far without any additional problems.

I pray for all the ladies and men on this list. I just pray that a cure will be found soon for all of our sakes. I have learned so much from each of you. I now have a lot to go into battle with if the need arises.

I have posted a few times, but mainly I lurke. My doctor told me that I shouldn't visit these types of sites often. But I do. She says it causes me to be depressed and worries me too much about the future. I think we all worry about the future. I don't have to visit this site to worry, all I have to do is look at myself in the mirror with my scars and the worry returns. Each time it comes to my mind, I have to once again turn it over to God. He is in control, and I believe that with all of my heart and soul.

Sorry for this being so long and lengthy. Many blessings to each of you.

Linda
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote