HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Mary Jo

Could use a little encouragement .....

Hello her2 friends....

I could use a little "diet" encouragement. Being a cancer survivor I know how important it is that I take care of myself. This past year I have not been doing well at that.

I am definitely addicted to sugar and for the first 4 years after diagnosis (especially after treatment ended) I did really well in watching my sugar intake.......exercising hard and getting a good amount of fruits and veggies. This past year has been another story. I have gained 10 pounds. I broke my toe in November and since then exercise (powerwalking is what I do) has been pretty much non-existent. It has been 4 weeks since I broke the toe and it still gives me a lot of pain. We do have an exercise bike (so I have something) but haven't been doing it either. Starting tomorrow my plan is to "cleanse" this body of mine by spending the next 7 days eating veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, tea and water. From their I will slowly come back to a normal diet without all the sugary treats.

Please help.....offer me suggestions......encouragement.....whatever you have up your sleeves. I know this is minor in the whole scheme of things....but to me, a cancer survivor, it is not minor at all.

Thank you friends.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Could use a little encouragement .....

Sweet potato rice soup.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Could use a little encouragement .....

All I had to do was to learn that cancer likes sugar (glucose etc.) and think about all my relatives and friends who have had to deal with diabeties. I saw what it did to them. I decided there was no way I wanted to go there. I had a very good friend who had to do dialysis for almost 9 years before she passed away when her heart just couldn't deal with anymore dialysis.
I eat fresh fruit and veggies, but I strictly limit cake, pie, cookies, and other forms of refined sugar. I never drink soda and limit sugarly fruit juices. I eat healthy good tasting, well balanced meals cooked from scratch. I found it really doesn't take any more work than using prepared foods if we find an organized way of doing it that meets our lifestyle and is alot cheaper. I now actually prefer my own food over restaurant food anyday. I go to restaurants only to celebrate a special occassion (mine or somebody else's). I don't eat alot then either, but I enjoy going for the fellowship. I bring my lunch with me when I am going to be out during lunchtime.
I am retired, but I participate in a couple organizations,so I have to go to meetings and so forth.
I do more intense exercise when I can, but one thing to remember is to get up and get going everyday. We should stay on our feet and keep busy as much as we can during the day. Keep moving. Don't sit down except for meals. I don't watch T. V. after 9am or before 4 or 5 pm. I often multitask when I am watching T. V. I stand and cook all my food from scratch. I do my own housework. All those things help us keep active and physically healthy. I learned alot of these things from my 88 year old aunt who is still active and in pretty good health.
Good luck. Getting in shape and loosing weight should not be done fast. Slow, but sure is better.
A happy, healthy and peaceful 2011 to you.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Gerri

Hi Mary Jo,

Weight loss is a tough thing to tackle but at least you are getting this under control before it gets out of hand. Your plan sounds perfect. It is pretty much the way that I eat now by following Weight Watchers. I have lost a significant amount of weight since joining two years ago. I honestly love eating a healthy diet and don't miss the bad stuff much at all. Be patient - the weight will stay off if you take it slow and do it right. Don't think of it as a diet, but rather as a life style change. I know that sounds trite, but if you think long-term rather than a temporary fix, it will become a way of life.

Exercise is something I have not been very good at fitting into my day but hope to change that soon. Best of luck to you - I know you can do it.

Wishing you all the best in 2011.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Jackie07

Drinking green tea (Pour boiling water into a cup with the real tea leaves in it) - the ingredients of green tea supresses appetite (besides providing antioxident.)

Adopt a vegeterian diet - my mother did that in her late 50's. In less than 15 years, she had lost more than 20 lbs. She did drink milk and eat eggs during the time. She went back to regular diet after she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. She's a healthy 87-year-old right now.

Portion control. There's a Chinese guideline for moderation: "Stop eating when you are 70% full." Modern science has proven that mildly starved mice live longer than well-fed mice. My Father is a very disciplined 95-year-old.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
BonnieR

Sounds like we are in the same boat. We know what needs doing, but getting back in the good habits is not always easy. I have been indulging my love of desserts because I don't want to deprive myself of things that give me such pleasure. But there are limits and I have crossed them!
I am a life time member of Weight Watchers and really do recommend the program for it's sensible approach and encouraging of moderation. I understand they have modified the program this year and I look forward to getting back on track with them. I hope you might consider giving it a try. It is everything you spoke about doing, just adding accountability and support to the equation.
Want to do it together???
Keep the faith at any rate.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
Mary Jo

Thanks ladies......well, it's TODAY and I am putting my best foot forward. I started my day with prayer, to my Creator, to ask for His helps.....it's good health ALL THE WAY BABY! (I hope - hehe)

Jackie....I remember my first oncologist saying something like this to me...... "I'm not telling you to starve yourself, but you should eat when you are hungry and then put in what is healthy and just enough to satisfy the hunger." In other words...in my opinion......eat to live and NOT live to eat (that's what I do)

Thank you.....You guys rock!!!

Blessings and Peace in the new year.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Lien

Hi Mary Jo,
Another good trick is to change just three things in your diet. For instance: no more deserts, eat a piece of fruit in stead. No more sugary drinks. No more second helpings; just normal sized helpings. Or no more readymade foods. Things like that. If you do that, you gradually lose weight and you will be able to stick to the diet more easily. A friend of mine only has cake or sweets when someone has a birthday, but she comes from a small family, so that really helped.
The hardest thing about dieting is, sticking to a healthy diet after you lost weight. A friend of mine has stopped eating simple carbs altogether, and without dieting she lost 25 pounds. She now allows herself one small portion of simple carbs a day, but she gained back a little weight, as it is very addictive for her.

I lost lots of weight when I became allergic to lots of foods. I don't eat grains, dairy, beef, pork, nuts, chocolate or grapes. Nor can I tolerate herbs, spices and additives. Just salt, garlic and cilantro.
I stay slim that way, but it's easy for me, because I become very sick when I eat those other foods. Even ended up in the ER two years ago. So I stick to a diet of fish, poultry, lots of vegetables and fruits and some pulses and beans. My only starchy foods are quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth. If I cheat, I get punished immediately. People feel sorry for me, but really, it's the best way to stick to a healthy diet. And there are plenty of things to enjoy!

Another option would be to have a look at Dr. Mercola's site. He does carry on about things and I don't always agree with him, but he has a great foodtype test and a list of foods that are good for you, including meal plans.

I hope you will find the strength to start eating a diet that's good for you and that makes you feel good. And sometimes injuries heal a whole lot better when you eat right. So perhaps that toe of yours will heal faster with the right diet.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
MJo

Maybe this is a Mary Jo disease. I went back to weight watchers in August for the 4th time and lost 30 pounds with 10 to go. Even adjusted my goal weight 5 pounds higher to make it easier on me. Then, on December 21 I went crazy again. I've probably gained back at least 5 pounds. I want sugar. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Also started taking a low dose of Crestor, a statin. (What an awful experience that was. The headache was really bad. Thought I had a brain tumor.) So I started on the sugary food for comfort. I can't offer suggestions, because I can't walk the walk. However I can offer sympathy as a fellow sufferer!!!! We both know that keeping our weight in the normal range is a protective factor against cancer. Just keep trying, my fellow Mary Jo. Keep trying. Prayers to the creator are good, with lots of gratitude expressed. but I tend to b--ch and complain to the creator too! After all, s/he didn't have to create me with a sweet tooth.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
carin

Smile Re: Could use a little encouragement .....

Cleanse your body AND your pantry! Best way for me to avoid the sweets is to not have them in the house. Garbage disposal is the best. With each cookie you obliterate remind yourself that giving them away is no blessing to anyone- they are better off in the garbage and then don't bring any of it back into your house. Long time sufferer of a wicked sweet tooth....Good Luck!
carin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
tricia keegan

I'd cut down slowly MaryJo rather than completly, if your body is so used to sugar you'll really feel deprived and so risk failure.
When I lose weight I always allow myself one small treat after dinner, whatever I fancy but keep the calories to around 150 and this way I feel satisfied I'm still getting treats,but not quite so often lol..
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Pam P

Mary Jo - Maintaining a healthy weight and eating healthy has been a struggle for me too most of my life. I just loved all the sweets, salty snacks, and basically all the "don'ts". I've been working hard on eating more and more whole foods and being aware of getting good nutrition to stay strong and healthy. Lately I seem to have lost my sweet tooth cravings somewhat - the cookies, cakes, etc still look good but taste is disappointing so it makes it much easier to pass them by. I think you know all the right things to do - healthy foods, exercise, balance.... the hard part is not knowing what to do It's DOING it. At least that's true for me. Sometimes my craving wins out over my good intentions.
I wish there was a quick fix for that. I often tell myself now that what I put into my mouth isn't just to satisfy hunger and bring pleasure, but the primary goal is to see it as a powerful medicine to strengthen improve my health. That seems to work well for me. It makes it easier to choose the healthy veggie - which by the way tastes great - over the empty calorie snack. I don't have any advice for you, but want to say I understand and support your efforts in however it works best for you.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Elizabeth1227

Dear Mary Jo,

I too have a sugar problem. I joined a twelve step program to help me. I tried a lot of programs and diets but this program works for me. There is a lot of support and structure. Let me know if you are interested.

God Bless you,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Joan M

Mary Jo,

I see you're formulating a New Year's resolution!

I also continuously watch my weight. In general, I try to drink a large glass of water before I eat, and at dinner I also eat first a huge salad which fills me up. Also, I'm a firm believer in eating some fat, since that helps me feel less hungary. And try to watch my portion size.

In the morning try a smoothie. I use no-fat organic yogart, 1% organic milk, a banana, ice cubes (even in the winter), and whatever other fruit I have in the house, like a pear, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, etc (or whatever is in season). I also sometimes add a little orange juice or a tablespoon of peanut butter, depending what fruit I've used.

And while I don't exercise (because I'm lazy), I walk really a lot, which helps to burn calories. Once your toe feels better, try walking around he neighborhood every day for about 30 minutes. I walk somewhat fast, but I don't overdo it.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Mary Jo

Thanks again Ladies.....

So far, I'm doing alright! Not depriving myself but watching what I eat.....trying to make good choices and when I want something that isn't a good choice I try to eat only a small amount! As for the exercise, I am and AVID powerwalker....walking usually 3 - 6 miles a day HOWEVER since my toe breaking I have not been able to do that. I have been FORCING myself to ride on our exercise bike for 15 min. a.m. and 15 min. p.m. but often times only get the 15 min. in once a day! I hate it!

I think all my exercise has what's kept me from being a lot bigger but since I've really had to almost stop.....and continued to eat TOO MUCH - well, you do the math. hahahaha!

Thanks again....

I can always count on you guys.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
Debbie L.

Mary Jo, I'm right there with you (except no broken toe). As the years go by, that priority that seemed so clear (take decent care of the body) has slipped a little and gets shoved closer to the bottom of the list, often not getting done at all (as my waistline proves).

I've been listening to some audiobooks by Geneen Roth. Having struggled with weight gain (and eating) all my life, I'm finding much of what she has to say to be very interesting. She does not talk diet, in fact she notes that for every diet there is an binge-in-waiting. But she encourages exploration of what we're doing, what we're nurturing (or trying to nurture), when we eat more than we need or really want. Several of her books have "God" in the titles but the books are not religious in any particular sense (in case anyone's put off by that). Anyway, she doesn't have anything to say that would change us instantly, or even tomorrow (smile). But the cumulative effect is, somewhat to my surprise, giving me pause on occasion -- when I reach for just one more nice salty chip, or somesuch. I'm on my 3rd book by her, just choosing them at random, and each one is a little different focus, but with some overlap. I'd advise reading or listening to several before making any judgment.

I am also totally with you as regards indoor machine exercise. I can tolerate a short weight machine routine, if I have a book to listen to, but any kind of treadmill or bike makes me feel . . . well, trapped. I love outside walking, hiking, or biking however and am thinking that if you can ride the exercise bike (and your toe isn't bothered), then why not get on a real bike and "power"bike! At our little town park we have some amazing single track trails -- just right for my old-lady speed, and it's so much fun, so much more fun than just riding down the road. The dog likes it better, too.

Love,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
PinkGirl

Wink Re: Could use a little encouragement .....

I absolutely CANNOT relate to this ... like Debbie, I do not have
a broken toe. Sorry .. can't help you.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #18
Sherryg683

I love sugar, I love pastries and crave chocolate things. I have sometimes been known to eat my desert before my meal. So, I can't help you with the sugar thing, fruit just doesn't seem to do it for me. I could eat a ton of fruit and it's still not going to satisfy me when I want sugar. The only way I am able to maintain or lose weight is by exercising and watching calories. I play tennis usually around 4 times a week, sometimes more. This time of the year, it seems everyone gets lazy and doesn't want to play as much, so I've put on a few pounds. So now I am trying to keep calories below 1000 a day and trying to get on the courts more. I've also got a hurt foot that I've been stuggling with for a year and don't have the patience to just lay off of, so that makes it harder,so I know where you are coming from there. Chicken, chicken, chicken...stay away from burgers and eat lots of salads...that's what I do.....just snuck a Hersheys kiss and a few M&M's though...good luck..sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
suzan w

In a strange twist...my last round of bloodwork (aug. 2010) my thyroid levels were off..low. I started on levithyroxin and without noticing much on a day to day basis I have lost 10 lbs. and have much more energy...go figure??!! You might check that? ps. I think you look terrific!!! xo Suzan
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote