HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Odette

Nervous about CT and Bone yes, but no PET Scan

Hello Friends,

I've been sitting on this problem for a week and would like to hear your opinion about it:
When last week I saw my oncologist he ordered the Bone and CT scan to be done early July, and when I asked him why no PET he said: 'It does not give me any extra information'. And that was that.

Background: January 2007 when my lump showed up in my neck (cervical lymph node) my radiation oncologist ordered the Pet scan which showed two uptake areas. Then this was radiated and I was considered NED. It was planned that I'll have scans every 3 months.

I had my second set of CT, Bone and PET scans in early April, which all came back at large negative except the other side of my neck lit up now on the PET scan. Had to go see an endocrinologist had thyroid ultrasound, thyroid biopsy which came back inconclusive - which means surgery . (The possible thyroid cancer is most likely unrelated to the BC.) Anyways, they recommend me to have thyroid surgery, which I'm postponing so I can do the Xeloda and Tykerb first.
I really counted on having the PET scan in July just in case ... If there is possible progression it would be good to know. If the thyroid area cleared up that would be even better. Maybe I won't need the surgery then
I just don't know how to approach it with my oncologist. He probably thinks fewer tests less anxiety. I feel on the contrary.
What would you do?
Would you insist on the PET or just try not worry?
Should I call my radiation oncologist? She would probably order the PET scan...
I could call my second opinion MSKCC oncologist ask her about it, but hate to go against my local doctor's advice. I guess I don't want him to feel like I don't trust him. Hmmm.

Please let me know what would you do?
What is your testing schedule? (Especially if your situation is similar to mine.)

Thank you friends,

Odette
June-August 2006 AC chemo
August-October 2006 Taxotere + Herceptin
November 18, 2006 Mastectomy 16 involved lymph nodes
Jan 2, 2007 start radiation
Stage IV, Jan 12, 2007 recurrence in cervical lymph nodes while on Herceptin, stopped Herceptin
Rad oncologist extended the radiation field, good response
Started Tykerb Xeloda on beginning of May 2007
Progression to lungs and conglomerate lymphadenopathy July 2007
Undecided about next treatment

'One does not get to choose one's adventures'

I'm experimenting with my diet, using green tea, flax seed curry and olive oil

Odette is offline   Reply With Quote