HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
vlcarr

Tumor Markers & Update

I had my 5th chemo this past Thursday. I must say the 4th one was the easiest one on me so far. No bad stomach pain and no mouth sores. I told my onc that I worried I didn't get my chemo. My hair is also growing--even the dreaded chin ones! The only difference was a script for Marinol she gave me after my 4th treatment. At the first sign of stomach pain I would take one but didn't have to take that many.

I got a script for muscle spasms this time as a new side effect seems to be leg and joint pain.

I talked to my onc about what happens after treatment and I've read some post from you guys about that as well. I have my last chemo on 01/28, wait a month and then have radiation for 6 1/2 weeks and continue herceptin until June.

I asked about follow up care and basically she said they don't do tumor markers or scans. I will see here every 4 to 6 months and if I have any persistent pain that would be checked out further. She said tumor makers are not reliable and they don't use those as a sign of recurrence.

My questions for you guys are:

1. Did you get tumor marker tests to check for recurrence?
2. If so, is that a standard or did you fight to get them?
3. Did the test find new cancer or cause you get treatment?
4. What type of tumor marker tests did you get and at what point did the results cause you to get more scans, etc and was anything found?

I guess I'm trying to find out many of you caught a recurrence using these tests.

I would also like to know where you were/are being treated as well.

This is all to new to me so I researched the internet and searched for posts here but found conflicting information on the validity of these tests and didn't fully understand which ones to get. I doubt I will get them based on what my onc said but would like to know if you get them and have they helped.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
vlcarr

Re: Tumor Markers & Update

Forgot to mention that I will not take any other drugs since I'm hormone negative.
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
mmoons

Hi Vicky-

Congrats on your progress and your results!!! I was in a Tykerb trial also and had miraculous results, even as early as 2 weeks into my treatments.

My oncologist in Dallas sounds like yours. She did do a baseline tumor markers because I asked for it. But she is a firm believer in no follow up test, scans, anything. She just wants to know about any pain that lasts more than 2 weeks.

I am now in Michigan (moved to be closer to family) and my new oncologist is a proponent of scans and tests.

Funny, when I was in Dallas I was so worried and wanted all the scans/tests. Now that I am here I am worried about all the radiation, etc of the scans/tests. I guess my neurosis is showing!! lol

Sending you loving support as you finish your treatments. Hoping you feel better every day!

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Becky

My onc did baseline everything and scans at one year out. I could have had scans every six months after the one yr but said no. I get the CA 27/29 tumor marker blood test everytime I go (which is every six months now but had been more often when I began the journey).

35% of people the tumor markers are unreliable (meaning they don't change and are in the normal range yet they have active mets) but for the rest, they are reliable. It might be something to fight for but don't hang your hat on it or freak if they are 14 one time and 27 the next (range is 0-38) as that can just happen (and happens to me often).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Chelee

Hi Vicky, First I have to tell you that I had the "same" experience you had with the TCH. It was either the 4th or 5th infusion of TCH and I didn't feel like I had my chemo either. Your the first one I've heard say that besides me. I even called my chemo nurse to ask if she forgot to give me my Taxotere or something...that I felt like I had no chemo this time? She assured me I got everything & said to enjoy myself. lol (So strange, I thought I was the only one.)

As far as scans go I was given a baseline once I was staged after surgery. I had a PET/CT and brain MRI. After I completed trt I was scanned again. Any time I complained of a symptoms I got scanned. I've only been turned down once so far.

As to tumor markers (CA27.29) that is something they did from day one. Had a baseline TMs....and have continued to have them about every 3 months. For me personally they are very reliable. The entire 3.5 yrs I was NED they stayed between 15 & 18...never moved. Then they slowly over a yrs time inched up & that's when I made my onc run a PET/CT and found my recent recurrence. (So I credit my TM'ers 100% for us finding out I'd recurred.) We will continue to run my markers. Alot of onc's are totally against running them as they aren't reliable for everyone. Tumor markers are really just one piece of the puzzle they can look at with everything else to see what's going on.

As to your actually question "no" I did not have to fight for them...this was their choice/protocol. Maybe because I was already stage IIIA, 3.5 cm mass, Her2/neu, 3+++, 5 pos nodes. That might of played a big part in their decision to run markers? (Just quessing?) And no, I do not believe TM'ers or scans are standard of care. Most onc's these days believe in waiting for symptoms. But without my TM'ers I would not of known about my recurrence. So I'm all for running them...but let me say again...they do not work for everyone.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
adrien

Hi,
I have to say that yes, my first recurrance was noticed through a consistent rise in the markers CA 15.3 and the CEA. It's the direction they're going which is important, not the number but make sure you have at least 2 tests to see if there any variables as previously suggested.
Beset wishes,
Adrien

2005 mastectomy (Left ) 10cm IDC in lymphatic system and blood vessels oe- HER2 ++;Taxotere, Herceptin 18 mths
2006 skin tumours below scarline Add Femera, 3 weeks radiotherapy twice daily (unsuccessful)
excision of tumours.
2007 jan skin tumour on L chest wall; positive Right axilla
Temerifen.
September Ca markers rise. Start Tykerb 3 wks radiotherapy
2008 skin tumours regrow. latissimus dorsal flap for excision of skin tumours March 08. HER2++++
Faslodex injections
CEA and Ca15.3 rising
CT scan shows multiple mets in liver, lungs and inguinal glands. Stop Tykerb. Start Xeloda
CEA and Ca15.3 dropping like a stone. Skin tumours disappear.
Return 6 months later.
CT shows increase in size and number liver and lung mets.
Oct: Cyclophosphamide
Markers continue to rise. Change to Caelyx
CEA marker in the 2000s Back to Herceptin
New tunour R Breast
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Jackie07

Vicky,

My oncologist wouldn't test my tumor marker, either. I think it has something to do with the tumor size and stage, plus it is not 'reliable' on everybody. My recurrence was 2+ cm and with 2 lymph nodes affected. Since all tests/scans have their drawbacks/human errors, I wouldn't rely too much on those 'numbers'.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
hutchibk

I have been a mets patient for almost 5 years... my onc follows my TMs (CA15.3) and mine are very sensitive and indicative of recurrences. Every single one of my recurrences (5 recurrences) has been found at it's earliest by rising TMs. Mine are checked every 3 weeks, as I get Herceptin every 3 weeks. If mine rise incrementally over 3 separate labs (9 weeks) then he sends me in for PET and brain MRI. We don't depend on them as the be all end all, and we know that at any time they could stop working for us, but I feel very lucky that they are such a big help in our being able to monitor any activity and catch it at its earliest.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
vlcarr

Whew--how confusing. Thank you all for sharing. It's strange how it works for some and not others.

The place I go is a very reputable teaching hospital and I do really like all the doctors I have there.

I think this is on my mind because I'm nearing the end of dealing with life after cancer-my new normal.

I will continue to look into this but thank you all so much for your responses.

I'm feeling kinda puny today.

Chelee, I hope I feel the same these last 2 treatments. It was so nice not to have the issues with TCH after #4--I was like, oh, this must be how some people are able to work during chemo. Well, not me, I haven't worked since September.

Thank you all.
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Chelee

Vicky, Since TMs aren't always reliable many times onc's know it just causes "some" patients too much anxiety. For me personally I rather know asap when I recur. I had recurrence in several places and had no symptoms. So when these onc's say to 'wait" for symptoms...what if the person never has any?

If you are considering having them done even though they say they don't run them there. You could always ask/push for them now and blame it on us. Tell them all your Her2 sisters get them done. lol (I'm kidding!) But seriously...if this is a tool you would like to use I would get a baseline TM ran some time after you finish chemo. But wait a short while because TM's will some times jump up around the end up chemo. So you would want to wait till your finished up with that.

I checked my journal & it was my 4th infusion of TCH that I felt like I didn't get anything. What a trip. But my 5th & 6th wasn't horrible...but it wasn't like the 4th. (Darn it.) I could tell I had chemo...sorry to disappoint you. But hey...maybe you will get lucky and yours will be the same as your fourth one. Good luck to you Vicky. Congratulations on being almost finished. Yeah.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
Jackie07

Vicky,

Please stay diligent. My so-called 'recurrenc' grew out of the left-over tumor and showed on the follow-up mammagram 'all the time'. But everyone was too confident on the surgeon's skills to figure out that the 'shadow' was not 'scar tissue' - for 4 years straight.

You are the best person to know how you are feeling. My experience is, if you are not feeling well, get it checked out. Don't worry about being called hypochondriac. We have earned our rights...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-10-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
vlcarr

Thank you Chelee and Jackie,

You advice is great. I'm getting an informal 2nd opinion on this issue.

Chelee, this time is not like the last I have not been feeling very well since chemo this time. And, the little bit of hair that grew back after #4 is gone plus more.

I keep saying just one more, just one more.....

Thank you all for being with me on this journey. I don't know what I would do without you all!
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Linda

Hi Vicki:
I was stage 3a, hormone neg and am almost 5 years out (!). No recurrence.
My onc has done tumor markers all along, as well as Vit D level and a physical exam.
After treatment, I started with checks every six weeks and have gradually gone to every 6 mos.
Because I was high risk, my onc insisted on routine scans immediately after finishing treatment. Twice I had false positives (I have radiation scarring on my lung) which almost led to unneeded biopsies. I finally said "no more scans without symptoms." We've stuck to that and I am very comfortable with that decision.
Because I had a lumpectomy, I still have mammos/MRI's twice a year, which I also think is very appropriate.
It's different for everyone. You have to strike a balance between cautious, safe follow up and moving on.
Good luck
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote