HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
SusanV

Tomorro'w the Big Day

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow I put my daughter on the bus for her first school experience (Kindergarten), send my son off to third grade, and then head out to my first chemo treatment at 12:45pm....What a day it will be !

Think of me tomorrow Guys

Lots of Love
ER/PR + (Highly Positive)
Her 2 +++
1.3 & 1.2 tumors right breast
node negative
lumpectomy 8-15-06
A/C Began 9-5-06 Finished A/C 11/6/06
Port Placement 9-15-06
Negative Test for BRAC1 & BRAC2 10-25-06
Began Tamoxofin November 21, 2006
First Herceptin November 27, 2006 Continues every 3 Weeks
First Radiation Treatment December 11, 2006
35 Rads Completed
Final Herceptin Treatment November 12, 2007
Port Removal November 19, 2007
Living Life to the Fullest !!
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Cycle 1, Day 1

Best to you, Susan. On mine I brought my sister from the Lower 48, a CD player, a jug of tomato juice mixed with lemon juice (well, at the time it seemed like a great idea) and a quilt a friend made just for me...

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Becky

I will be thinking of you. My dearest friend brought me to chemo. She brought me to almost all of them (she had a cold once so my hubby brought me). She took me to my first 3 Herceptin treatments and will be bringing me to my last one at the end of the month.

Bring a book and something else you like to do. These 4 ACs go quick. The taxol is long if you do it every 2 weeks vs every week.

Let us know how you make out. At least you have your little girl who's day will be pretty exciting. I remember the first day of school for my girls and I actually remember my very first day of school and what I was wearing too.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
tousled1

Susan,

I hope someone is taking to your chemo as you never know how you will react, especially to your first one. My daughter took me to all my chemo treatments and now that I'm on Herceptin only, I take myself. I must say that each chemo round affected me differently. Best of luck to you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
RhondaH

Smile You will do FINE on all fronts...

take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Bev

Hi, I'm a few days past my first anniversary of my first chemo. It will be fine physically. Mentally it's a lot to deal with. But you are on the road to getting well. We'll be thinking of you. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Liz J.

Smile All will be well

Hi Susan,

Just read your post about tomorrow. You will do fine. You probably won't sleep too much tonight in anticipation, but just think of this as the first treatment towards recovery. I had my first round of CAF on June 6, 2005. It was 2 days before my 48th birthday. I had no idea (as no first timer would) how I would take it. When we left the chemo lounge I went shopping for curtains. Come to think of it, I never did like them so I never put them up. If you do go shopping, don't buy just anything (lol). I had a different response to each treatment (had a total of 6) once every three weeks. Believe it or not I thought I would celebrate my last treatment, but I actually got depressed. God knows I was glad that part was over, but it sort of felt like -- what now? My oncology nurse assured me that this was perfectly normal. She said it was sort of like "leaving the cocoon" (sp). Anyhow, I found out I was not the only one feeling this way. It turns out I ended up back there to receive Herceptin treatments a few months later. Initially, I was not eligible, but the rules changed.

All I can say is that I will say a prayer for you and please stay strong. You will get through this.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Smile

Hi Susan,

I sooooooooo remember my first chemo treatment (Aug. 24, 2005) and I was sooooooooooo scared. Just petrified actually. My nurse talked me through it all and was so very encouraging to me. Telling me again and again how she was sure I was going to do well and that most people do. Also reminding me that there are so many drugs to help if problems arise along the way. Well, she was right. I did handle it all just fine and thankfully had no problems along the way.

You WILL do fine also. I pray the Lord to hold you close tomorrow and give you His peace.

Blessings to you Susan,

Mary Jo

"For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him and were called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
chrislmelb

All the best to you Susan

It is the unknown which is so scary. I hope it all goes smoothly.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Vanessa

Best wishes to you tomorrow.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

Susan,

When I was first DX'ed with bc and about to undergo chemo and radiation, my oldest daughter was about to enter the 2nd grade and my baby was ready for her first day in kindergarten.

Today, my oldest is entering her senior year at the University of San Diego and my baby is a sophomore at a local junior college.

My advice:

Take it a day at a time and don't be that obesessed with breast cancer that you miss them growing up.

Hugs
Christine
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #12
sherri

Dear Susan,

When I read the side effects of chemo (given to me by the nurse one week before I started the chemo), I told myself there is no way I can put these poisons in my body. But few days before, I had a session with a beautiful therapist; she told me just look at it like a MAGIC POTION. Just imagine it goes to your body to heal you and guide it to the cancer site and see how it heals you. I did it and eventhough I had a very aggressive chemo, it didn't hurt me, it heald me.
Good luck to you, make the magic potion saves you for your kids.
Big hug,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
MJo

Nurses told me to drink plenty of water before chemo to keep my veins plump (just like the rest of me). I guess it doesn't matter if you have a port. I also drank water during chemo, cause I wanted to pee that stuff out asap. That led to me having to get up and walk to the restroom, wheeling my trusty chemo pump with me. I took magazines and books, including Tabloids and once a copy of MAD. I also took food. Good luck. You'll get through it. I hope you have some help caring for your kids, because you may have to put yourself first sometimes during treatment. I don't have any kids, but I work in social services and have trouble putting myself first sometimes. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone with children. Maybe it's even impossible for a mom. Make sure you post on this board how you're doing. MJO
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #14
geraldine

Thumbs up A day we will all remember..!

Hi Susan,
I was 49 when I started my chemo, that was exactly 5 yrs ago this month but it feels like yesterday.

I didn't sleep the night before I went to hospital and didn't know what to expect.
That morning at the hospital,the nurses soon put me at ease, telling me everything they were doing and how I might feel, a step by step guide, if you like.

It is very daunting first time but you will be looked after so well by the angels who have chosen to work the oncology units.

Expect to be there for a good part of the day, take a book or something to pass the time and the advice on water intake is a must.

Best wishes for tomorrow,
God Bless
Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 AM   #15
koolbreeze

How did it go?

Susan, just thinking about you and wondering how the first treatment went. I hope all went well. Thinking of you. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote