HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
sddinkinsmom

Question tamoxifen with frequent menses, recomending hysterectomy.

I am a 37 yr. old. I was DX with HER 2+ 1 yr. ago in Jan. 2014. After neo-adjuvent chemo and bilat mastectomy, 5 weeks of radiation and 1 yr. of Herceptin....also tamoxifen for the past 7 months. I am having frequent menses....every 2 wk.s to 4 weeks. OBGYN did U/S with biopsy(which is not back yet.) Still she would like to do a total hysterectomy and oncologist agrees. U/S shows still ovualting and frequently. Advice on a oophorectomy vs total hysterectomy would be great? Also wondering if anyone else has had this go on while on tamoxifen? Oncologist would take me off of tamoxifen and try a aromatase inhibitor if oophorectomy. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with the side effects listed with a total hysterectomy. Any input would be appreciated?
Jan. 15th 2014Dx with Her 2 + ER+ PR+ entire right breast tumor..10cm in craniocaudal dimension.
Grade 3.
Right axillary lymph node 2.3 cm. and biopsied positive for HER 2. Multiple enlarged right lymph nodes. Enlarged lymph node in pectoralis muscle.
Jan. 2014 PET scan done, no other organ involvement.
29 Jan. 2014 Port placed, 1st round of neo-adjuvent chemo started. Perjeta, Herceptin and taxotere.
April 2014 Admitted to hospital for pneumonia/sepsis.
13 June 2014 bilat. mastectomy.
18 July 2014 start 5 weeks radiation.
18 Aug. 2014 start tamoxifen.
Oct. 2014 Frequent periods, every 2 weeks. Uterine U/S and biopsy. Biopsy negative.
Dec. 2014 dx with lymphedema.
Dec. 2014 right arm infection to lymph system.
23 Jan. 2015 Last dose of Herceptin.
6 Feb. 2015 last reconstruction surgery.
March 2015 lymphedema with a right hand cellulitis.
March 2015 still having frequent periods every 2-4 weeks. Another uterine U/S and biopsy. OBGYN and Oncologist recomend ovaries removed. OBGYN would like to do a total hysterectomy.

Last edited by sddinkinsmom; 03-18-2015 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Adding information.
sddinkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: tamoxifen with frequent menses, recomending hysterectomy.

Hi,

You've been through a lot the past 15 months. The suggestion of another surgery must be overwhelming.

I underwent total hysterectomy 5 years ago after another family member had been treated for a Lynch Syndrome - related cancer. Everything has been fine so far. The decision was based on personal/family cancer history and the BRCA gene test result - I was at pretty high risk of getting other cancers of the reproductive organs.

I used to drink a lot of milk. Now I have just a cup of milk for the oatmeal in the morning. There are walnuts, raisins, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blue berries, and almost a cup of yogurt in the huge bowl. I don't really walk much except around the house, but I would tap my feet while sitting in front of the computer (supposed to help build up bones.)

O and the flax seeds.

I am guessing your Estrogen Receptor number is pretty high, so it's important to block the estrogen in your body. That can only be achieved by switching to an A.I. as Tamoxifen only blocks the estrogen in the breast.

I had experienced a lot of UTI's and was eventually prescribed an antibiotic capsule (Nitrofurentine) to be taken right after being intimate. That (plus KY Jelly) has helped quite a bit. You and your husband will need to communicate well on this part.

Hope this helps.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-19-2015 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Add details.
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
sddinkinsmom

Jackie,
Thank you so much for your response. It does help. The side effects seem a bit overwhelming, but with 4 little girls running around....I am trying to do what is best to be here for them as long as I can. Again thank you so much. I do try and eat healthy and the little ones keep me active. I take fish oil and should add the flax seed (helps with heart correct?)
sddinkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Becky

One place to go to ask more questions on total hysterectomy at your age is another onlinebgroup called hyster sisters. They have lots of good advice. I went there when I did just an oophorectomy as I was premenopausal then. I wanted to know the side effects etc. I was like you, getting my period often and it was very heavy too. I also had a biopsy and it was fine. I did not do the total hysterectomy. Decided to do just ovaries and tubes. Easier recovery and it does the job of putting you in menopause. I went on Arimidex a few weeks afterwards. Hyster sisters will have lots of women doing it forbthe same reason as you as well as those doing it to prevent ovarian cancer because they are BRCA positive. And then there ar e those with other medical situations like fibroids etc. Can you just get the ovaries and tubes out as your biopsy will probably be fine? Just wondering. It will be easier on you and the ai's don't affect the uterus like tamoxifen can.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote