HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #41
RhondaH

Smile After reading Jeans post...

time for a bump. Take care and God bless.

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #42
RobinP

Talking Thanks Rhonda,

...for reminding us of the cancer fighting foods/supplements and alternatives and additives to drug therapy to fight the robust her2 pathway.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #43
RhondaH

Wink A New Years bump...

for a healthier 2009. Take care and God bless.

8/1/05 Finished 33 rads

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #44
miss di

I was told the only thing I should stay away from was soy. Soy contains estrogens, I'm estrogen positive.
I agree with Marejo, this is my second time around with this disease. I was healthy, as a matter of fact my Onc actually said," "you are very healthy, except for your cancer."
I believe you can eat, exercise, and live healthy, and it will still get you for other reasons, such as big family history.
We should never feel we could blame ourselves for not eating properly.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #45
RhondaH

Smile It's been a few months...

thought I would bump it up Take care and God bless.

8/1/05 Finished 33 rads

Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #46
Ellie F

My understanding about cooking with olive oil is that ,as with any oil, it only becomes carcinogenic when heated to high temperatures and starts to burn which changes it's molecular composition.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #47
Shobha

Thanks Rhonda! This is simple and easy to follow.

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #48
RhondaH

Re: The Breast Cancer Diet (with checklist)

Time for a bump

8/1/05 Finished 33 rads

Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #49
RobinP

Bounce to top.

Nice list and I encourage black tea, green tea and lots of sunshine to add to your list.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #50
Unregistered

Flax seed oil and fish oils are very good, unheated. Olive oil, when heated can become carcinogenic.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #51
Lucy

I was doing a search on phytoestrogen before I posted any stupid questions about it. It seems that the more I read the more confused I get. I adopted a vegan diet roughly 5 years ago and depending on what you read, soy is the greatest or the worst thing you can eat. Ditto for flaxseed, beans and nuts. Some say moderation is the key. So what is it? It doesn't seem like the experts really know themselves. I know nothing you do guarantees you won't get breast cancer but it would be nice if there was some consistency in the reporting.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #52
sarah

I've always heard to stay away from grapefruit.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #53
Lucy

I think the grapefruit restriction has to do with particular hormone blockers for ER+ cancers. I wasn't advised to stay away from it but since I've never been a fan of grapefruits (so it wouldn't really impact my diet plan), I didn't ask if it was something I should stay away from.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #54
annettchen

Not sure how much there is to it, but I have read that you should not have grapefruit while on Herceptin:

- "Grapefruit should be avoided during Herceptin and chemotherapy treatment because of potential grapefruit-drug interactions."
Source: http://foodforbreastcancer.com/artic...n-treatment%3F
- "There are some concerns about consuming grapefruit (as a fruit or juice) whilst taking the drug. Best to avoid."
Source: http://www.canceractive.com/cancer-a...nk.aspx?n=2588

I don't particularly like Grapefruit, so no problem for me...
04/2014: Started 6 cycles of "PHD" (Perjeta, Herceptin, Docetaxol)
07/2014: Finished 6 cycles of PHD; restaging; 2 bone mets are sclerotic - looks like Herceptin and Perjeta is working
10/2014: STABLE!
01/2015: STABLE!
04/2015: STABLE!
08/2015: STABLE!
12/2015: BRAIN METS. BODY STABLE.
annettchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #55
SpitFire

This was taught to me at my "cancer center" in chemo class.

"There are no foods that will make your cancer worse or make your tumor grow - despite what you may have read or heard from other sources. Exception: Breast cancer patients should avoid or limit foods containing phytoestrogens (plant estrogens). These include soy products such as soy protein powder, soymilk and tofu. (Soybean oil and soy sauce are allowed - they do not contain a significant amount soy product). Flaxseed is also a plant estrogen. Other herbal products such as dong quai and black cohosh may also contain some plant estrogens. These recommendations apply to all breast cancer patients regardless of whether they are ER PR positive or negative."

I asked my oncologist, he scoffed and told me that he was my doctor and to come to him (which I did) and asked me why I would "take advice from just a nurse." (He sent me to that class) He then told me I could eat anything in moderation. He told me he didn't believe that I needed to avoid anything because I was hormone negative, which he told me multiple times during the next year. He told me I only needed to avoid supplements during the bad chemo, after, he continued to tell me I didn't need to avoid "estrogenic" things because I was hormone negative. My last appointment 15 months later was with a "nurse" and she looked at my supplement list and told me that I needed to avoid "estrogenic" things because I have breast cancer and it didn't matter if I was hormone positive or negative. That was exactly opposite to what my oncologist repeated told me! I never went back to them. I fired them all! The oncologist also told me "there was a nothing I could do after chemo, surgery and radiation to reduce my risk of recurrence. He also never talked to me about not getting pregnant for 5 years after being diagnosed! He just told me to use the "barrier method" during chemo! He did tell me I could become infertile from chemo, but Wow! I didn't learn about not getting pregnant until 11 months later at my first OB/GYN appointment! I kept asking him what do I need to know? He would get mad and tell me I was scared and just wanted a sure thing. Sorry about my rant.

I found this old post about flaxseeds and flaxseed oil:

http://www2.mdanderson.org/WB2/defau...d=2071&fid=150

Now it seems that flaxseeds (up to 3 TBSP/day) are healthy. I avoided them during chemo, but I also ate what I could to get through chemo which was a lot of unhealthy junk food. Now I eat pretty healthy (Low fat).
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
2/2014 Lumpectomy Complete Response
2/2014 - 4/2014 Radiation
9/2014 Last Herceptin

Last edited by SpitFire; 10-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Added more information
SpitFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #56
JessicaV

Hi, I find this discussion very interesting and also very important.
I have been trying to understand the new information coming in from research about Cancer Stem Cells(CSCs), their role in building tumors and in metastasizing, and the place these anti-cancer food substances can play in disabling and destroying CSCs.
There is a new strong interest in various food plant compounds that runs parallel to the discovery/exploration of the role of Cancer Stem Cells play in building tumors and in seeding and growing metastases.
Drugs like Herceptin block the intracellular pathways through which important signalling and change processes happen. These are the processes by which cells turn into cancers and organise themselves a supporting structure/"skeleton" and develop blood vessels to feed themselves, and prevent their own cell death. So Herceptin blocks off access to important sites and interferes with the pathways the cancer cells need to use to transform themselves and build themselves into a tumor or to metastasise. This leads to a lot of cancer cells dying But the cancer stem cells can then get around this, and can choose to mutate so that their new cell lines use different pathways, eg HER3 or 4 instead of HER2. They then produce new cancer cells that use the new pathway that gets around the blockage created by herceptin or whatever drug it was.This is how the tumors become resistant to the anticancer drugs. (This is a bit similar to the way flu viruses mutate to get around our resistance to flu, becoming different so the antibodies and antigens we have formed will no longer affect them).

However, the foods that are anticancer foods like broccoli, soy, green tea, curcumin etc actually interfere simultaneously with a number of different pathways the cancer stem cells use for different processes. So if the cancer mutates so it does not use one particular pathway, the food still has other points at which to attack it.
There seem to be many things that damage our cells enough to make us at risk of cancer, and also many things that knock our general health and the health of our immune system. Like Lien, many of us have eaten well all our lives yet still got cancer. So how do we understand this?

It seems to me that maintaining good cancer-free health by preventing, primary and metastatic cancer, and then destroying cancer if it does form is a bit like trying to have a good crop of tomatoes where I live in PerthAustralia : I have to contend with parrots, rats, possums, bandicoots, mice, caterpillars, slugs, snails, slaters, plant viruses, heat, frosts, spray drift from my neighbours. I have to grow my plants well at the right time, choose the best variety, water it, feed it, stake it.
However well I do my bit, there is still a risk I will not get a crop at all, or it will be eaten or made inedible by some pest.
If something starts to be a problem, I have to be vigilant and take effective action. If I have several different varieties in several different parts of the garden, there is a higher chance of success. And if I only have one treatment I can offer my tomatoes start to wilt and die, or get nibbled around the edges, I am likely to lose the battle. But if I have a range of treatments, I have a better chance.
And these anti-cancer foods are part of the process of growing and maintaining a healthy cancer-free me. They increase the ways any cancer stem cells in my body are getting knocked down and knocked out of my system. And they also increase my general health, my immune system health.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #57
JessicaV

I read that as well as garlic, other Allium plants like leeks and onions have anticancer properties. And that ginger can help too.

So I have just started to make the yummiest mild veg curry that incorporates a lot of these foods:
Dice up your preferred combination of winter squash, sweet potato, eggplant, carrots, green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower, add cooked chickpeas, and cook together in a wok with tight-fitting lid till just tender.
Meanwhile, with a stick blender in a tall thin jar blend till smooth 3 chopped garlic cloves, half a thumb of ginger, a handful of coriander leaves and 1-2 cups of diced tomatoes. (If you like some heat, also add and blend between half and three chillis that you know will create the desired heat) Put this aside.
Then grind together 2tsp cumin seeds, 2tsp coriander seeds, 1tsp cardamon seeds. Heat up a frying pan, add 1tsp black mustard seeds and dry-cook till they start to pop. Add the ground spices. Add 2+tsp ground tumeric, 5 whole cloves, 2inches of cassia or cinnamon quill. Turn down the heat. Cook together till aromatic. Put into a dish and put aside.
Finely chop a large onion. Heat pan. Cook slowly till soft. Add the spices and stir through. Add the tomato mix and stir through, heat slowly till cooked. Add fresh low-fat yoghurt to taste. Add water if it gets too thick. Add 2 kafir lime leaves. Stir together with the cooked vegetables and simmer together for 10-15 min till flavour is through it all. Remove cinnamon/cassia bark, and also lime leaves.
Serve with wholemeal bread or flatbread or juinoa, or brown rice, or eat on its own. Hot, or cold as a salad.
You can also add raw fish to the sauce before or instead of the vegetables, and simmer till cooked.
You can add diced low-fat paneer cheese and simmer through for the last 10 min of cooking.
You can add meat, first marinating diced meat raw in the tomato mix for several hours before starting to cook the curry. Again, it is your choice whether and what vegs you include with the meat.
You can blend a cup of cooked squeezed spinach into the tomato blend.
You can add any other spices or vegetables or herbs that appeal, or take out any you don't like. You can add 100-300ml coconut cream.
But for best anti-cancer content, keep the tumeric, ginger, garlic, tomato, onion, coriander and yoghurt and pref the broccoli too.
I also make coldpressed juice with carrots, an orange, an apple and fresh/frozen berries.
And salad with lots of freshly picked spinachy green, kale, plus lightly browned chopped nuts, avocado, tomatoes, olives, low-fat fetta balls rolled in dakah, etc. dressed with garlic, olive oil, flaxseed oil, and a fresh lemon or lime squeezed over it.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #58
Lucy

I asked my oncologist today about turmeric and grapefruit. Both her and her nurse said turmeric is good, even with ER+ cancers (provided you're not on chemo . . . it's considered an antioxidant and you're supposed to avoid antioxidants in powdered form while on chemo). The nurse said grapefruit can cause reactions with medications - not just limited to herceptin or chemo or hormone blockers - any medications. The doctor's response wasn't clear on the grapefruit but it may have been the way I presented it (she said it was delicious . . .). So there may be a different answer for every "expert" asked the question but that's what my particular "experts" said.

I wish I'd thought to ask about tofu since I don't eat meat and tofu has been a protein staple in my diet for the last 5 years. :-/
Old 10-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #59
RhondaH

10 years later and going strong!!!! Time for a bump and thoughts and prayers to you all!!!!

Rhonda

8/1/05 Finished 33 rads

Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #60
StephN

Wink Re: The Breast Cancer Diet (with checklist)

Gee, Rhonda! What a nice surprise to see your name and good news. Very appropriate you chose an old thread of yours to announce your presence.

So, I am curious as to how you have done keeping to the diet suggestions mentioned in this thread?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote