HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
DianneS

HER2 positive and 10 years out?

Hi ladies,

I am just wondering why my onc gave me an '80% no recurrence in 10 years' prognosis.

I would like to talk to anyone who is 10 years out with her2 pos and no recurrence.

I guess I am really scared and also wondering why I did surgery, chemo and herceptin? What chance do I have to seeing my 65th birthday? Based on stats?

Another question: I started chemo (taxotere, carbo and herceptin) in Nov. 2008. I had surgery in Sept. 08 - dbl mast. I could only do 5.5 tx of the TC regimen out of the 6 usually done. Did that put me at risk, waiting?

Plus AI's/Tamoxifen won't benefit me much -4-6% as I am weakly ER positive. So I'm in THAT club as well.

My anxiety is maxed out and I wonder why bother doing anything at all if they can't even give me one patient who is around at the 10 year and plus mark. They say 'they are out there' Where or where are you?!!

Is there anyone who is approaching the 10 year mark w/o recurrence?

I need a shred of hope. Keep wondering if I've had one more year or one less year.

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Ruth

Re: HER2 positive and 10 years out?

Diane - I have a good friend that is 14 years out with no recurrence. She was diagnosed at age 29. She never had Herceptin...did a clinical trial with stem cell transplants/high dose chemo at Duke. Her tumor tissue was retested a few years ago for research reasons and she was Her2 pos. She was stage 3. They are out there but they usually don't post much on websites. I also know of another lady living in Atlanta that is 10 or more (was stage 3 also) and doing great. She doesn't post on internet but does go to local support groups to tell her story.
I'm working on year 7....
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Becky

Well darling girl, I am stage 2 and I just hit 5 yrs so I'll get back to you in another 5. I had nodes involved and extensive invasive.....

Stay tuned

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Mary Jo

I'm 4 years NED, node involvement and doing super duper....In 6 more years I'll post again. Stay strong...

Congrats to you Becky on your 5 year cancerversary...as I always tell you .... I'm right behind you....keep movin' forward sister.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Cannon

I'd also like to point out that "recurrence" does not equal death. And imagine what kind of treatments they will have in 10 years!

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
DanaRT

I have wondered this myself many times. A new co-worker, Susan, noticed my pink ribbon pin. She told me she had breast cancer 16 years ago. She was 30 years old. Susan was stage ll. She has no idea what Her2 means, they didn't test for that back in 1992. She is well, healthy,beautiful.

I am approaching my 2 year anniversary. Anxiety is running high. I keep reminding myself that Susan is doing great!

Love,
Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
karen raines hunt

HI,

I scan through the site a lot, but don't post very often. I am 4 years and 5 months from my diagnosis date and am NED! As you can see from my signature, I had a huge tumor.......measured 12 cm x 8 cm, I had extensive vascular and lymphatic invasion and 2 positive axillary nodes. I had a bilateral mastectomy, adriamcyin, cytoxan, taxol and 1 year of Herceptin. I also had 35 does of radiation, 1.5 years of Tamoxifen and am still on aromasin. I say hooray for Herceptin!
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
chicagoetc

Dianne,

I'm confused. Isn't "80% no recurrence in 10 years" relatively good given how poor the prognosis was before for HER2+ cancer? I would think the odds get even better after ten years.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Laurel

Dianne,

I really think you must just say, "ah, to hell with the stats! I'm stickin' around, thank you very much!", and move on. You are a 20% er, girl.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
jml

Surviving & Thriving Re: HER2 positive and 10 years out?

DianneS, please don't put yourself through another moment of anxiety, playing the numbers game & second guessing the choices you made with the best information you had at the time, not to mention under MAJOR STRESS.
And Rebecca is absolutely right - "recurrence" does NOT mean "death"!

I may not be 10 years out, only 71/2.
And I've experienced not 1, 2 or 3 recurrences, but 8...
enduring my 8th as we speak.
So, I've essentially been living with active disease for all but 1 year since my diagnosis.

Like many of our sisters on this site, I'm surviving and thriving, in spite of this disease.
And in the past 7+years that I've been maneuvering through life with this disease, treatment options have evolved, been developed & made it to market, and changed the picture of Surviving with Stage IV disease.
I know that they will continue to develop more & more sophisticated drugs & treatments to make this disease liveable, so that those of us that must live with this disease can do so gracefully, actively & happily.

Also, I wanted to share this video interview that I did with Emory Magazine. I pasted the link to the video article below. I was really honored be able to share my story...it's OUR story, and I hope I've honored all of the Stage IV'ers Surviving & Thriving & represented us well.

Personally, I think I look chubby & puffy-eyed, but I'm putting my narcissitic, self-consciousness aside, because our story is one that needs to be told!
http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_MAGAZINE/...cas-video.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qERqUy40d78

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
mamacze

Hi Diane,
You sound discouraged, depressed and scared - all feelings that are no stranger to the girls on this board. We can all relate - sometimes these feelings can just be overwhelming. Thank God you have a great sounding board here!
It won't take long for the survivors to start lining up; there are plenty of them. I for one have to throw my hat in the ring; as you can see by my signature I have stage 4 cancer; Her 2 +++; I have metastasis to my lungs and liver. I am 5 and 1/2 years post metastatic diagnosis - I have been NED for 5 1/2 years with no reoccurrence after my initial treatment with Herceptin and Navelbine. I am surviving and thriving.
The girls here will help you reach out of your dark spot and find a bucket of light and hope that is well within your reach.
Love and Hugs,
Kim from CT

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Greg

Hi Dianne,

Someone on this board told me once that many of the folks that come to this board never or seldom return after their treatment. I don't know how many of the fine people on this board have been here for 10 years. When my wife was first diagnosed we read many, many posts on the internet and did literally weeks of research. Mostly what we read were horror stories about how badly people fared during chemo, side affects, etc. Our Oncologist reminded us that most of the time it is the patients that are having problems that are posting on the internet, seeking some sort of information that will help them through the ordeal. He also said the people that don't have much trouble are less likely to show up on internet sites. This made sense but our surfing definitely caused us much apprehension. This particular board has and still serves as a great source of information and support. We really don't visit many other boards besides this one. Anyway, luckily for us my wife did very well during chemo and so far so good.

As for missing your last chemo, our Oncologist (well respected from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance/University of Washington) also feels that as long as she recieved any chemotherapy then the herceptin will do it's thing and that the amount and type of chemotherapy wasn't that vital. He did feel there is a synergy between taxol and herceptin so that is what my wife did, 12 weeks of low dose paclitaxol with herceptin and she will be on herceptin until April 2010. He thinks herceptin is the key. I hope (pray) that he is right.

It is difficult not to get too tied up in the numbers game. My wifes cancer is similar to yours although her tumor was 1.5 cm and she was stage 1, grade 3. She chose lumpectomy instead of mastectomy. Anyway, our Oncologist puts her chance of recurrance at 10 years at less than 10%, in other words more than 90% that she won't have a recurrance in the next 10 years. She now eats much healthier (mostly organic), exercises regularly and has just overall improved her lifestyle. I used to have to preach to her to use sunscreen, not anymore!

I don't know if this helps you with your apprehension or not, I hope so.

Take care,

Greg and Vickie
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Gerri

Dianne,

We all have those moments when fear overwhelms us, as time goes on it gets easier. Hang in there, you will be breathing easier as each year ticks by.

To jml: Amazing video Jessica! Your tenacity and drive are awe inspiring....and without a doubt you are beautiful!

Thanks for putting this crazy world of cancer into perspective. Like so many other courageous warriors on this board you are living life to the fullest. You rock!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
AlaskaAngel

In my point of view, it is very much a shot in the dark as to whether whatever chemo is chosen happens to be effective for a particular person's cancer. If it was that easy, we wouldn't all be wondering whether ours worked or not, and there wouldn't be differences of opinion about what regimen to use among oncs. I have never had trastuzumab.

Right or wrong, I "rely" more on the other things I do. Consistent exercise is known to improve the odds. None of my health care providers was at all interested in monitoring the vitamin D level back in 2002 when I was treated, but I was, and have I consistently worked on getting as much natural vitamin D (both through the eyes and through the skin) as possible. I stick to eating organic food to avoid all the hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, and herbicides that are in the food chain. I try to eat a diet that is balanced for omega-3's and omega-6's. I avoid simple sugars to keep a low glycemic level and eat more whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.

The protective effect of chemotherapy falls off after the first 4 or 5 years, but positive behaviors can continue long over the years. I've never understood why we are given estimates for 10 years out in deciding about doing chemotherapy because the effect of chemo falls off so much after the fifth year anyway (although that is a generalization that applies to all bc, and they don't seem too interested in figuring out how it applies or not for HER2 positives). In our society people often would rather choose a short-term effort like a pill or chemotherapy than change behaviors.

Best wishes,

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
sarah

Hello,
I second Rebecca's comment. recurrence doesn't mean death. I had a recurrence 5 years out but I wasn't given Herceptin at that time and now it's 10 years since my first diagnosis. I think some of this stats are old. Also why can't you be in the 20%? exercise and keep positive and above all, enjoy life. Don't worry about the future, it's here soon enough! So many new and better drugs are coming out that soon cancer may be totally curable.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #16
TSund

Dianne, I think you should dwell on the positives of being one of the lucky women that received the opportunity to take Herceptin with early stage breast cancer. A few years ago that was not even an option. It is a major game changer, and no doubt will continue to be long term. You are doing well...celebrate this and make the most of it.
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
WolverineFan

I just wanted to chime in and give a big THANK YOU to all of you who wrote in on this post and had such a positive attitude, particularly the surviving and thriving stage 3 and 4 patients. You all are simply amazing and provide more support than you may know. I at times have anxiety about the recurrence side as well, which I think is only natural, but I am so grateful mine was caught early and that I have the benefit of taking Herceptin. God bless you all!!!

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Gabrielle

Smile Re: HER2 positive and 10 years out?

Hi Dianne,

I was diagnosed Dec 22 1999 -- so in just a few months, I will be 10 years out.

Stage III; infiltrating ductal; HER2/NEU, estrogen negative; 5.2 cm tumor; 9 out of 21 nodes positive for cancer. I was 44 and my kids were 12 and 9.

Treatment was 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxan; 4 rounds of taxotere; 25 hits of radiation; 52 weeks of Herceptin. I had a mastectomy; prophylactic mastectomy on the good breast; and a prophylactic hysterectomy.

I work full time (CPA); teach 2 college classes and am going to school for my doctorate. My kids are now 22 and 19.

Keep the faith,
-Gabrielle
Gabrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
DianneS

I will write more later - just wanted to say thank you for your posts thus far. I am wondering if the AC regimen provides add'l protection? I didn't get it. I will look again to see how many of you had taxotere, carboplatin and are still NED. My onc told me that carboplatin/herceptin had a synergestic activity.

Talk soon,
dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
Sherryg683

In December it will be 4 years out for me and I was diagnosed stage IV. I have been NED since my first round of treatment and feel great. I met a lady recently who came up to me and told me that 10 years ago, she was diagnosed stage III, did not even have the benefit of doing Herceptin at all. She has been in remission since her initial treatment. You have a very good outlook. Of course you are scared but your fears will lessen as the years pass..sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote