HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #41
Laurel

I come to this site to be inspired. Inspired by the courage of those who fight this disease with every weapon available and endure the travail of seemingly endless chemo and "zappings." Their astonishing bravery makes me believe I can face whatever the future has to offer because they have gone before me.

I am equally inspired by the successes, both small and large, of everyone on this board. Reports of NED thrill me with that priceless treasure...hope.

A heartfelt thank you to all who post and participate on this site. You make me proud to be among you.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #42
nitewind

Here I am, late again but I'm here.
I just want to say that I love this board and these people so much that I don't know what I would do or what I would have done without them.
When I first came here, I was newly diagnosed and panic stricken. As I read along, I became encouraged to add a post or a thought (I'm not very good at that,as you may have noticed). I read of everyones treatments and found a lot of them were like mine.
I was given so much encouragement that I suddenly got to thinking.."hey, I just might make it afterall".
Like everyone else, I've done my share of crying here but I've also been overjoyed. I guess that's the way it is in life....good and bad. But, I always know where I can come either for advice or just companionship and understanding. No one can understand me like the people on this board.
I am so utterly amazed and encouraged by so many here. When I read Maryanns posts, all that she's been thru, and still....look at the smile on her face. It gives me so much hope. After being here so long, I now have that "Never give up" attitude, and it's all thanks to all of you here. I wish I could give something back, just know that I love all of you and you're always in my prayers.
Big warm hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #43
Audrey

Just wanted to chime in with a comment about the list of life-lessons posted by Sheila. The author, Regina Brett, is a columnist for our local Cleveland paper--she is not 90 years old, only in her late forties but she is a breast cancer survivor and has spoken to various cancer survivor groups in the area over the years. She credits her cancer journey with many of the insights on her list--thought we all could appreciate one of the main sources of her acquired wisdom.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #44
Diane H

I've said it before but gonna say it again. What a wonderful forum this is. I learn so much listening to all of you. And often a great deal of comfort. While I wish that I could be as eloquent as many of you, it's nice to know you all are here to take care of that. When I was first diagnosed and in the grip of terror and despair that comes, this site I truly believe kept me sane. My poor husband found that out when our computer took a nose dive and I was unable to log on. I had a melt down and all I could articulate to him was how desperately I needed to be able to access this site. Sharing the good, the bad and the ugly, it's all part of the journey.
With love, Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #45
Diane H

PS.... and specially for Christine and Joe....

....almost forgot the most important thing, how grateful I am to Joe and Christine. Thank you.
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #46
Greg

Bill said "Greg's avatar might seem really cool to some, but I just think I should change it to something that makes me look better. (maybe like a fake picture of Greg watching TV in a ratty T-shirt with mustard down the front"

LOL Bill, that wouldn't be a fake picture of me at all, more of a "Greg in his natural state and condition" photo!

The shark cage picture was taken last October in Hawaii and that's Vickie and me in there surrounded by about 50 sharks. I felt like "reverse sushi" in there and definitely can sympathize with the lobsters in the lobster tank at the seafood restaurant. It was before we found out about Vickie's cancer. To me it sort of depicts how we felt at first, sort of besieged by all of the scary things that were around us, feeling really alone with little help in sight. This board was like Jacques Cousteau and the Cavalry showing up!

By the way, do NOT change your avatar, I actually laughed out loud the first time I saw it. I needed that.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #47
ElaineM

Wink Please !!!!

I thought I would chime in to say that I like this message board just the way it is. People share, are inspired by and celebrate each other's successes. We sympathize with each other's pain. We pray for the people who are experiencing pain or difficult times. We can learn from each other's successes, and pain. We are after all human beings and behave like human beings in the non cyber world. The way we are is one of the reasons I joined this board. I signed up with a couple other boards, but I don't visit those boards as often, because I don't feel the warmth and friendship between humans that I feel here.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #48
rl2

I think all members should be allowed to post whatever they think or feel, I am not sure censorship serves any purpose; people can read or not read what they want. My only concern sometimes is that there are posts in which people are trying to sell things, for instance, a book, which I find intrusive; I don't mind a suggestion, but there are instances where its more than that. Are these patients or authors? I thought this was a group for fellow patients or caregivers.

I personally find that part of these forums a bit off putting.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #49
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Wink

Dang, What'd I miss???????
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #50
CourtneyL

I too come to this site to be inspired and am grateful to all of you for sharing your successes. A little over a year ago I was 30 years old, diagnosed with widespread metastatic disease and told that I had very little time left. I was frightened, angry, and sad beyond belief. And then I found this site. I began reading the success stories and I began to believe. You made me a believer and contribute more than you could ever know to the eternal hope that I carry in my heart. I cheer for you when you have success and my heart aches for you when things are not so great. I love to be able to share my good news and success with you and plan on doing so for a long time to come. Just had a PET/CT last week and look forward to updating you with good news once again when I get the results.

Even though we are mostly strangers, I consider you my "family" and am grateful to Joe and Christine for all they do to help us in this topsy turvey journey.

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #51
hutchibk

Reverse sushi!!! I love that Greg... almost made me spit my tea all over the keyboard. Thanks!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #52
freyja

CourtneyL, best wishes for good results of your scan. We're here with you...waiting...waiting.....why do results take so long to get?!!!

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote