HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
juanita

2 things

First, Grace I am finally getting your book from the library. It came in today but I'll go tomorrow to pick it up. Got some others I've got to finish up first. Next, I asked last time I went, but now y'all are talking about some different tests and stuff, so I'm asking again. I see the onc next Wednesday. What are the tests I should be asking for or about? In August i have my next mammo and my 3 year canceversary is in September. I just had cts of brain and chest. Is there any other supplements or meds or anything else I should ask about? Any other questions y'all can think of?
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Grace

Juanita,

You'll probably get a lot of different responses, so take mine as just one opinion. You might request breast MRI instead of mammogram as there's been some recent evidence that MRI's find more problems earlier.

But other than that and regular visits to your oncologist--I think in my center it's every six months if no issues until five years, I can't think of anything else.

I would even say that if all is well to avoid tumor markers, but that's because they scare me to death. The time spent waiting for results drives me through the roof.

I am rather careless about supplements. Some days I'm taking about 15 and then I go along for a week or more and don't take any. But I am absolutely faithful to the flaxseed, three or four very large soup spoons on my oatmeal every morning.

You're doing well since your three year anniversary is coming up soon. From what I've read on this board, with HER2+ cancer, two years is an important marker and you've already passed that.

Hope you enjoy the book and congratulations on 3 years.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Becky

Juanita

I am also approaching my 3 yr cancerversary too! I get the tumor markers done. In June, I just had my last of the every 6 month mammos and now go to a year. I see my onc again in Sept (every 4 month schedule) and my surgeon in December (once a year). I am going to ask both about a breast MRI (getting that in Dec and the mammo again in June so I have something every 6 months). I am getting a brain MRI every year (although the last one was 15 months). I am doing this as a commitment to the women on this board. Other than that, I am not doing anything else test wise.

I have always been a diet and supplement queen from the beginning of this adventure in bcland.

I take tumeric, maitake mushroom, olive leaf, omega 3 alone and a combo with joint supplements, a multi, calcium with D, magnesium, extra D and cranberry (I get bladder infections). I also take flax oil.

That's my routine and I'm sticking with it.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Jean

Tag on To Becky...

I alternate between MRI and mammogram every 6 months.
My Radiologist (who is female) was the one who found my
small tumor. I just love her...when I have my digital mammograms
she studies them with a large magnifying mirror (that is how she
found the small tumor)...she advised me after biopsey to alternate
between MRI/mammoram since bc dx.

Ditto on the supplements...I also take COQ-10..and B6...

Best Wishes,
Fran
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Mary Jo

I just reached my 2 year cancersary (I love that word - very funny) on June 24th so I've reached an important mark as well. I do not do tests of any kind. I've had both breasts removed so mammo's are no more Up until this point I was seeing my onc. every 4 months and blood is drawn but only to look at "normal" things as far as blood work goes. No tumor markers as my oncologists where I go seem to think they are unreliable and not worth the stress. For me personally, that is a good call because I don't like tests of any kind. I am examined thoroughly - asked how I feel - and sent on my way. This time I was told I didn't have to return for 6 WHOLE MONTHS and that excited me tremendously.

At this last visit my new onc. and I talked extensively about the "what if's" in the cancer world and my onc. feels that if cancer is found in April or in October doesn't really matter. Symptoms will present themselves eventually and he said overall survival is no longer with women who do the scans vs those who don't. He (they actually at the hospital I go too) feel that the stress etc. of tests and then "chasing after false positives" isn't worth it. So............it's pretty much a personal thing for each of us. What we feel comfortable doing. Me personally, I just want to move forward and the tests stress me way too much so I don't push for them. The one test my onc. did order was a MUGA. Seeing as I did the AC as part of my chemo and also had herceptin he wants to see where my heart stands at this stage of the game. Before chemo started my echo was 68. Three months after herceptin started my MUGA was 58 and that was the last MUGA I had. He thought it would be a good idea to see if there was any overall heart damage from treatment. I am sure not as I am an avid exerciser ie powerwalk/jog 4 - 6 miles per day and I'd think I'd notice something if I had a weaker heart but I am willing to have that test to see. A good idea I think.

Now for the supplement part of your question (man, I'm rambling huh?) I take 500 mg. of calcium with D once per day (I cut back on that after one of our members said we were being "overly calciumed" (I don't think that's a word) so instead of 1000 mg. I take 500 mg. because I do eat other dairy. I also take 500 mg. of magnesium, Cod liver oil with D & A and a separate Vit. D for a total of 1200 mg. of D per day. I TRY to get in 2 T of ground flax per day as well. That's it for me

Now for the good part - hehe - I live life to the fullest each and every day - I eat treats if I want too because life is short and I want too - I have an occasional beer or two or three because life is short and I want too. I smile mostly all the time and I thank God for all His blessings in my life and also all He has taught me through this breast cancer journey. I've learned a lot - I've grown - I've become happier than ever and I'm TRYING to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Hugs to you juanita. (and the rest of you also)

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Gerri

No tests for me either...

...except for Echo every three months, and of course my yearly mammogram. Originally my onc said once Herceptin was done I would not need any more Echos. At my last visit in June she said new guidelines had come out recommending Echos (or Mugas) be continued for one year following the completion of Herceptin. Other than that I have no other tests, scans or tumor markers. She gave the same reasons as Marejo's onc, and is following the national guidelines put out by ASCO. I have to admit every once in a while I wonder if testing would be a good idea, but then I read the angst filled posts of those of you waiting for the results of your last scan, test or tumor marker and realize I am better off (and much more at peace) this way. I think because my bc was early stage I accept the path I am on - had it been stage III or IV I might feel differently.

Wishing you all good health!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote