HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Lani

bean counters strike again! FRENCH ones! Herceptin cost-effective for Stage IV

I hope this helps those of you in the EU whose governments would only pay for one year of herceptin given for Stage IVs (reasonable for Stage Is as it is the standard of care for them). Perhaps it will help those of you in New Zealand as well!

: Am J Clin Oncol. 2009 May 29. [Epub ahead of print] Links
Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Trastuzumab (Herceptin) in HER2-Overexpressed Metastatic Breast Cancer.

Perez-Ellis C, Goncalves A, Jacquemier J, Marty M, Girre V, Roché H, Brain E, Moatti JP, Viens P, Le Corroller-Soriano AG.
From the *INSERM, U912, Marseille, France; daggerDepartmentof Medical Oncology, Institut Paoli-Calmettes, Marseille, France; double daggerUniversité de la Méditerranée, Marseille, France; section signDepartment of Biopathology, Institut Paoli-Calmettes, Marseille, France; paragraph signDepartmentof Medical Oncology, Institut Gustave-Roussy, Villejuif, France; parallelDepartment of Medical Oncology, Institut Curie, Paris, France; **Department of Medical Oncology, Institut Claudius Régaud, Toulouse, France; and daggerdaggerDepartment of Medical Oncology, Centre René-Huguenin, Saint Cloud, France.
OBJECTIVE:: In women with Human Epidermal growth Receptor 2 (HER2)-positive metastatic breast cancer (MBC), Trastuzumab has become the standard of care but previous studies have raised doubts about its economic acceptability. We carried out the first cost-effectiveness study for Trastuzumab in MBC patients, in France, that is based on observed resource use and outcomes in clinical practice. METHODS:: We retrospectively analyzed 47 HER2-positive MBC patients in a before-and-after design study. Nineteen patients did not receive Trastuzumab ("before" Trastuzumab introduction in clinical practice) and 28 patients received Trastuzumab (the "after" population). Direct medical costs were estimated on the basis of the physical quantities reported in the patient medical records, for the period from first metastatic progression until death or date of patient last news. Monetary values (2002 French francs) were attributed to these quantities on the basis of unit costs and incremental cost-effectiveness ratios were calculated. RESULTS:: In the Trastuzumab group, median overall survival was significantly higher (37 months vs. 19 months in the non-Ttrastuzumab group, P = 0.001) but total treatment costs were 3 times higher (&OV0556;39,608 vs. &OV0556;12,795). The cost per additional life-year saved by Trastuzumab treatment was estimated to be &OV0556;27,492 (95% confidence interval: &OV0556;20,964-&OV0556;34,020/year of life [bootstrapped estimation]). CONCLUSIONS:: Our data suggest that despite its high unit price, Trastuzumab should be considered cost-effective in MBC patients to the extent that its incremental cost per life-year saved remains lower than gross domestic product per capita in countries like France.
PMID: 19487912
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Christine MH-UK

If only it were that simple

Hi Lani,

If only the UK were so sensible. Not-very-NICE has truly ridiculous limits on its spending for which it has never provided any rationale.

I suppose the government has been too busy paying the pensions of failed bankers, although the other parties are just as bad, with the other main party having wasted the taxpayers' money on luxury duck houses and the cleaning of private moats!

The current government is on its last legs (very bad right now, akin to the U.S. after the November election). Unfortunately , I doubt that its inevitable replacement will be any more generous or come up with things that are more beneficial to patients with pre-existing conditions. The country is just too spent out.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
fullofbeans

Lani we do not have a EU wide system. France has teh best free medical system in the world.

UK considering the GDP has the worst system in the western world, since this site is in English it is easy to be confused and think that the entire European system is a shamble..it is not, the UK is.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
fullofbeans

Another thing..about the UK Millions are spent on GPs being imported at teh week from countries such as Germany, spain and eastern countries just to work at the week end. Because GPs here have it Sooooo good and do not want to work at week ends. A friend of mine earns £40k as a GP working 2days a week!!!

Replacement at week end earn around £3k and get all their expenses paid (staying in expensive hotel, taxis ect..). They laugh at the UK in the rest of Europe!

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote