HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Caregivers Corner
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Caregivers Corner Dedicated to those who support their loved ones.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
ammebarb

Sister Diagnosed

Hello everyone. I'm Barb a 25 year survivor of second stage breast cancer. Mine was diagnosed before they were checking for Her2. My only sister was diagnosed recently and had her lumpectomy a week ago Friday. She is postmenopausal, Her2+++, Er- and Pr-. She just found out a couple of hours ago that there was microscopic lymph involvement. She will see an oncologist next week to determine what she will do for treatment. Radiation is a given, but she doesn't know if she will have chemo and/or herceptin. She was told that she could choose to have the axillary area irradiated or she could have another surgery to remove additional lymph. She hasn't made any decision about that until she speaks with the oncologist. Have any of you had to make such a decision? She said that her surgeon says she has a 92% chance of nonrecurrence with lumpectomy and radiation and could improve her chances with herceptin. Does this sound right?

I so appreciate having a forum to visit with my questions. I've dug for info online, but it's hard to find regarding stats for Her2. Thanks so much for reading. I'll look forward to hearing from any who will respond.

Barb
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote