HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
chicagoetc

Reconstructive Surgery, Pre or Post Radiation?

I am currently in the middle of the Taxol+Herceptin (preceded by AC) part of chemo. At the time of surgery a few months ago, an expander was put in. After the Taxol, I am looking at about six weeks of radiation. My reconstructive surgeon says it might be good to do additional surgery related to the reconstruction prior to radiation (e.g. swapping out the expander and maybe something related to symmetry). Or not. He's going to check in with my primary surgeon and the oncologist so they're on the same page.

I would have thought any additional surgery would come after radiation. Are there reasons you know why it should/could be one way or the other? Any input would be helpful as I don't know how to begin to think about this.

Thanks,
Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
karen raines hunt

Hi,
I had expanders put in at the time of my mastectomies. Then, had numerous saline injections to expand the tissue. I had A/C, then Taxol + Herceptin. I did radiation while still on Herceptin. When I was examined, marked, measured, etc for radiation, the radiation onc said the unaffected breast had to be deflated. Because of the angles the docs wanted to use to radiate the cancerous side, the other breast was in the way. I was very lopsided for a while, but was reinflated following the radiation treatments. I had my expanders removed and permanent implants put in about 2 months after I finished radiation.
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
PatS

I also had an expander put in during my mastectomy (single) and had to have radiation. I was fully expanded before starting radiation and then had 28 rads. I didn't have my exchange until 2-3 months after radiation was completed. My understanding was that at least one reason they did the exchange after radiation was done so that if the radiation caused any problems with the expander it was going to be replaced later anyway and so they could correct any issues then.

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote