HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Yorkiegirl

Port Question

I go weekly for my Herceptin Infusion. I have bloodwork once a month and see Onc at this time as well.

WELL, today when they stuck the needle in my vein (new girl) for blood draw,
I screamed, it hurt so bad, and to make matters worse she kept moving the needle in my arm. I have NEVER had so much pain on getting blood drawn,
They think she may have hit a nerve. Has this ever happened to anyone?
My arm still hurts really bad, I did look at her and told she was never going to draw my blood again.

SOOO---- I guess my actual question is, how many of you have your blood draws from the port? I'm thinking after today I may want to have it done this way.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Maggie

Hi Vicki,

I get herceptin every three weeks. They access my port for blood draws first, then herceptin.. I think they might use heparin then too and again when herceptin is done.

I do know that everyone that draws blood does NOT know how to access a port and shouldn't..

Maggie

Last edited by Maggie; 04-18-2006 at 06:54 PM..
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
storyteller

Port is the only way.

I think you should always insist that an onc nurse do your blood draws so they can be done through your port. It's the only way to go. My senior onc nurse told me to always insist and sure enough, it works. (no lab techs for me).

No longer in treatment, but I have draws quarterly for my follow-up visits. Always go to onc nurses for those draws.

I'm from DFW area, as well. Treatment and doctors at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

JM
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Lolly

I always have my blood draws from my port, and the oncology nurses are the only ones allowed to access ports at my treatment center. Maggie's right, not all are trained to access ports, so if you're ever in a situation that requires a port access (such as the emergency room) insist they call in someone who's been trained in ports.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Maryanne

I fourth the motion on this one. I was told not to allow anyone other than an onc nurse to access because most others dont know how, and the onc nurse also accessed flushed, did blood work, got herceptin and then fluhed again. The port made life so much easier for me as my 2nd A/C treatment my vein collapsed which made the whole situation painful. Why get stuck more than once!
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
madubois63

I have to agree with everyone. Have your onc nurse access your port. I very rarely if ever have blood drawn from my arm...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Lee

My blood draws are always from my port.

And, like the others mentioned, it's done by the onc nurses. I would insist that they draw the blood from your port - that's why it is there, to spare you the pain/hassle of having it drawn from a vein elsewhere!

Sorry you had a bad experience.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Yorkiegirl

Thanks Everyone

Thanks all for the reply's on the Blood Draw. I am going insist that they be done from the port from here on out. Yes, the Onc nurse will be the one who does access it.

My arm still hurts today from that dang needle yesterday.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
Marlys

Just a note of interest! My port is very selfish and absolutely refuses to give up any blood whether they do TPA's or not> Because it works fine going in I do not complain about the blood draws. They are no big deal for me. They told me that my problem is that I am an R.N. and we always have to be different or create problems for our caretakers!
LOL Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
pattyz

Vicki........

Vicki,

I had the same problem as Marlys: my port was great for INfusions, but would not do any OUTfusions! ie: blood draws. big bummer!

I wanted to tell you that I, too, was stabbed, dug at and screamed at the Onco nurse who was taking a blood draw from vein. I should truthfully say, I also swore. Told her to stop, which she would not. Of all procedures, this was one of the worst of the past five years....

So, I understand and I'm so sorry it happened to you, too.
Lots of hugs,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
Patty H

My first port had quit drawing also. When I finished my treatment, thinking I was done, I had it removed. Soon after I was back in treatment again and I had a port put in again and it seems to draw fine and I have had it close to 3 years now. I go an hour early for my appointment and have my blood drawn and then we take it over to the next building which checks the blodd and returns the resutls within an hour. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Barbara2

My blood work is always through the port.

Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Sherryg683

I know what you are talking about. Every week they draw my blood and twice that I've had my blood drawn, it felt like they hit a nerve. It was awful and turned all black and blue for a week. I never thought of having it drawn from my port. The area they draw the blood from and the area I get my chemo at are different. I don't think it would be an Oncologist nurse that would do it and I sure don't want one of those ladies around my port...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
Bev

My port has never been used to draw blood. I have enormous veins and only relented to get a port because they said chemo was very caustic to surrounding skin. Once in a blue moon, I get a bruising draw, and those are the ones that hurt. Operator error? One nurse did say to really keep pressure on the site for 15 min following draw to ninimize bruising. If I think of it, I'll ask what their rational is for not drawing. Good Luck, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
Monique M

My port is used for blood draws. It is also used for my muga scans. I had reconstructive surgery (expanders) on 03/17/06 and after two nurses and the anesthesologist could not get an IV started in my left arm (cannot use the right arm), I told them if they did not access my port I was going home. So they accessed my port, started the iv, and put me under. Once they got me hydrated with the iv solution and while I was asleep, they were finally able to start the iv in the left arm. I am scheduled to have my port removed in December when I stop the herceptin. Needless to say I am a little concerned about how they will be able to draw blood, run tests, etc. after the port is removed. I have thought about keeping it in. I am curious to know how long people have had their ports in?

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:29 PM   #16
sassy

everything thru port

I have had blood draws, chemo, anesthesia, IV Fluids, antibiotics, nausea meds, everthing thru port. I wouldn't consider treatment any other way! My port has been somewhat to hit, but my nurses have learned the trick with it and don't have problems any more.

Sassy
________
Volcano vaporizer

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:44 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
jmihay

Monica said she was curious how long others had Ports in. Mine as been in since sPring of 2001.
Joan
jmihay is offline   Reply With Quote