HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > General Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

General Cancer News Latest Breast Cancer News from Moreover Technologies

Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
News

Study demonstrates anti-prostate cancer properties of Modified Citrus Pectin

Researchers at Columbia University recently analyzed the positive effects of Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP) on human and mouse prostate cancer cell lines. The results, as reported by lead researcher Dr. Aaron Katz in the online-first publication of Integrative Cancer Therapies, show that MCP inhibits cell proliferation and induces apoptosis (programmed cell death) in both androgen-dependent and androgen-independent cancer cells in a time and dose-dependent manner.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
1rarebird

Re: Study demonstrates anti-prostate cancer properties of Modified Citrus Pectin

I am glad that I didn't skip over this post. There were two encouraging statements made about MCP that have application in breast cancers, I believe.

1. Rich in a polysaccharide component called galactosyl, MCP binds to galectin proteins and prevents cancerous cells from adhering to each other and to the inner wall of blood vessels, thereby inhibiting both tumor growth and angiogenesis.

2."The anti-metastatic role of MCP is well established," continues Dr. Eliaz. .....Its safety and the fact that it doesn't work via hormonal induced mechanisms of action makes it an excellent agent to be used in conjunction with other therapies."

Seems to me that if these findings are born out by further studies, breast cancer tumors should also benefit by MCP.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote