HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
vonny

Is there benefit in surgery for stage iv's

Hello there I am a newbie that would like some help please. May 8th 2012 my daughter Lorna then 21 years old was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer. She has just had her 22nd birthday. Basically she found a lump in her right breast, tests were done, and they also found her lymph nodes were also infected. From there she had CT, MRI and BONE scans which showed it also in her spine. The oncologist said the only scan that picked up the cancer in the spine was the mri as it is only just there, she used the words 'very subtle' When Lorna was first diagnosed we were told the plan was to have treatment first of Docetaxel, Herceptin and Zometa for the bones, 6 sessions every 21 days last one on the 14th Sept, but would stay on Herceptin and Zometa indefinitely. This was to shrink the tumour so when they did surgery it would hopefully not be so invasive. Then she would have radiotherapy. After 3 chemo’s an mri showed the secondary in the spine was stable. However today we had an appointment with her oncologist. Fantastic news is that she had to have a good old feel for her to be able to find the lump which is brilliant as before she had no trouble finding it! It has shrunk significantly but there is a but, and a rather big but as far as I’m concerned so I’m hoping someone might be able to put my mind at ease.
Lorna’s oncologist told us today that it is very unlikely now that Lorna will have surgery as she has secondary to the spine, she will continue to have Herceptin indefinitely along with Zemeta after her last chemo next week! They will then monitor her. Surely they need to remove the remainder of the lump from her breast otherwise the cancer is still there?? Her oncologist did explain how Herceptin works but I still don’t understand why they are not going to remove the lump or even the breast. I just want it out of her!! If the primary is still there can it not then spread further? Lorna’s oncologist did say though that she was going to discuss Lorna’s case with her surgeon who is the man we saw in the first place when we first found the lump. The oncologist wants to see Lorna again around 26th October to access and see where we go from there. This does give us a little time to do some research ourselves but I think a second opinion could be on the cards.
Any help or advice would be really appreciated!
Many Thanks
Yvonne
vonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
dchips1

Re: Is there benefit in surgery for stage iv's

Tykerb, This medicine crosses the blood brain barrier for the spine, Personally i would get at least a lumpectomy. Have they talked about radiation to the spine? Do you know what here ER PR (hormone levels are)? Did she have a Brain MRI?I would go for a second opinion! She is too young not to battle this full on especially with positive lymph nodes. You found a good site here with lots of good people. And incredible knowledge, faith, hope and determination. Also post to the new comers forum as well.

Prayers to you
Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
dchips1

can someone copy this to the Newcomers site for Vonny, so she can get input for the everyone.

Thanks Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
vonny

Thank you Darita, I don't know Lorna's levels. She did have a brain scan, a full body scan i.e. CT, MRI and bone. What do you mean about crossing over the blood barrier? We were told Herceptin treats the whole body so that's right....yes? I have copied my post to the new members as well.
love
Yvonne xx
Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Becky

Herceptin and most chemo are large molecules and cannot cross the blood brain barrier.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
chrislmelb

Vonny i canunderstand wanting to get the lump out. I think they leave it to use as an indicator to see if the treatment is working.
This might be a dumb question to everyone but what has the spine got to do with BBB? Is it if the cancer goes thru into the bone marrow? I have numerous spinal mets so left wondering.

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
sarah

She's young, she has HER2, it has to be treated very aggressively. It sounds as if she's getting good advice but why not get a second or even a 3rd opinion. Personally, I'd want the thing taken out and then radiation and chemo and Herceptin and ???
I'd rather overtreat than under particularly given her age.
It's miraculous that it was discovered in someone so young, she is extremely lucky.
hugs and love
sarah
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Jackie07

The spinal cord is part of the Central Nervous System (Brain + Spinal cord). The abstract below uses 'Blood-spinal cord barrier' in the similar sense to 'Blood-brain barrier'.

J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2012 Aug 1. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2012.113. [Epub ahead of print]
Blood-spinal cord barrier pericyte reductions contribute to increased capillary permeability.

Winkler EA, Sengillo JD, Bell RD, Wang J, Zlokovic BV.
Source

1] Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Southern California, Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, Center for Neurodegeneration and Regeneration, Los Angeles, California, USA [2] University of Rochester Medical Center, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA.

Abstract

The blood-spinal cord barrier (BSCB) regulates molecular exchange between blood and spinal cord. Pericytes are presumed to be important cellular constituents of the BSCB. However, the regional abundance and vascular functions of spinal cord pericytes have yet to be determined. Utilizing wild-type mice, we show that spinal cord pericyte capillary coverage and number compared with the brain regions are reduced most prominently in the anterior horn.

Regional pericyte variations are highly correlated with: (1) increased capillary permeability to 350 Da, 40,000 Da, and 150,000 Da, but not 2,000,000 Da fluorescent vascular tracers in cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions and (2) diminished endothelial zonula occludens-1 (ZO-1) and occludin tight junction protein expression.

Pericyte-deficient mutations (Pdgfrβ(F7/F7) mice) resulted in additional pericyte reductions in spinal cord capillaries leading to overt BSCB disruption to serum proteins, accumulation in motor neurons of cyotoxic thrombin and fibrin and motor neuron loss. Barrier disruption in perciyte-deficient mice coincided with further reductions in ZO-1 and occludin.

These data suggest that pericytes contribute to proper function of the BSCB at the capillary level. Regional reductions in spinal cord pericytes may provide a cellular basis for heightened spinal cord barrier capillary permeability and motor neuron loss.Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism advance online publication, 1 August 2012;

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
carlatte7

Think spinal cord, not vertebra. The same barrier for brain and spinal cord. There is no barrier for the bones of the spine.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Lori R

Vonny,
The most important lesson that I have learned from this site is to be your own advocate. Fight to win every single battle in this war.

I am not a Dr., so I am reluctant to offer medical advice but.....I was stage IV. They performed a mastectomy. I asked for extra radiation which was kind of unheard of but my Onc said...well maybe in will prevent a local recurrance. I pushed because of the support on this site.

Well....here I am 5 years later. Granted a scarry signature line because of the liver met but.....I have not had a local recurrance.

If you get the slightest hint that your daughter is not being give a 110% chance to fight on all fronts...get another opinion. Push....who cares if you ruffle a few feathers?

Here is a boost of fiesty energy to help out....Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
Lisa1962

Hi Vonny -
I was diagnosed with spine mets at my initial diagnosis - so I was stage IV from the beginning. I was 42. The standard back in 2004 was no surgery for Stage IV but the thinking has been changing slowly. There have been studies that show benefit to removing the primary tumor on patients that are relatively healthy and who have cancer that is responding. It's something to talk about - I finally had a mastectomy a few years after my diagnosis. I'm still stable - and I feel so much better having removed my killer breast....

I hope you daughter has doctors who are willing to work with her on this and that she can help take control of her medical decisions.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Vicky

I concur with what Lisa is saying- I also was stage iv with spinal mets, liver and lymph nodes upon diagnosis. I was told that there was conflicting research on the benefit/risk of removing the primary tumor. Some studies showed that keeping the primary tumor helped suppress metastases, while others showed an advantage to removing the tumor. My breast tumor eventually grew through my skin leaving me with an open wound. I had a mastectomy last August and was surprised by the relief and psychological boost it gave me. I too have remained stable on Tamoxifen and Herceptin.
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
vonny

Hi Ladies
Thank you for all the support and sharing your stories with me. Lorna does have an excellent oncologist, the best in her field and is very proactive.
I think the reason for my questions is I am just so scared that they will make the wrong decision; there is no room for mistakes here.
I have read all the links that have been posted here for me to read and I really do think it is down to personal choice and trust in the oncologist. At the end of the day it is Lorna who has to make that final decision and I can only guide her, just so awful being in such a scary place.
Lorna had her last chemo on Friday just gone and we were told that her oncologist had changed her next appointment with her, bringing it forward by 2 weeks, no explanation as to why was given. We will find out on the 12th October which way this is going to go.
Thank you again for all your help and support it is very much appreciated
Much love
Yvonne xx
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
jml

Hi Vonny~
So sorry to have to welcome you and Lorna to our community, but know we are a strong, scrappy bunch and are here to offer whatever guidance or support we can!
Just wanted to share a thought that I don't think anyone else has brought up yet...
In order for Lorna to have surgery I think it would be likely that her onc/surgeon would take her off Herceptin for a period of time before surgery, and then not resume again until a few weeks post surgery. My feeling would be that I wouldn't want to be off treatment for any period of time so early into my Stage IV diagnosis. I would want to continue on agressive systemic treatment to treat the entire body for as long as possible and continuing with Herceptin, Zometa and even rads as needed.
Remember, a BC tumor in the breast is not instrinsically life threatening - it is when the disease metastasizes to the vital organs that it then becomes truly dangerous.
However, localized treatment to decrease the tumor load on the entire body is something to consider.
These are the "options" that we are offered. There is no "right" answer - we just have to get educated, trust our medical teams and go with what is the best fit for ourselves & our conscience.
Also, please remember, even though your daughter is Stage IV she has many treatment combos/options available to her, especially with the approval of Pertuzumab & the pending approval of TDM1. That's a very good thing!
I was diagnosed @33yo with Stage IV disease at primary diagnosis, with liver mets and have been surviving this disease for 10years. Be aggressive, fight hard and try to feel comfortable & optimistic about the choices you make, no second guessing!
We are all here to offer you our opinions, support, thoughts and prayers to help you & your daughter stay strong, and when you can't, lean hard on us. We're here for you~

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
Dx-5/17/02 - 33 yo; Stage IV - L IDC w/single liver met
1) Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
2) ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
3) Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
4) Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks Rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
5) 05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
6) 10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
7) 2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single brain lesion x 4mm & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
8) 6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
9) 8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
10) 3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
11) 7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study;
Disease progression - 2 small lesions in colon – docs have never seen this before in BC
11) 8/11 –Start new combo Halaven+Herceptin
10/14/11 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin...
10/18/11 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
Good interval response, continue on H+H!
10/25/11 – new 2mm questionable spot in brain? Due to Novalis or new disease?
Re-scan in 8 weeks.
1/3/12- Disease progression; 50%increase size & SUV-R lung, middle lobe 6cm lesion.
R supraclav node multiple, miscellaneous nodes in belly. Colon lesions fired up.
12)Herceptin+ metronomic Cytoxan + Methotrexate.
…on a hope & a prayer. Only chemo I haven’t been on is Taxotere.
Hurry up Pertuzumab & TDM1!
Follow Up Brain Scan on 1/18/12…pleasepleaseplease be okay. I can’t take much more.
1/18/2012- 8 new spots in 8 weeks since last Brain MRI
one 2cm spot in brain stem, one 2cm spot in R temporal lobe.
No symptoms, THANK GOD!
1/25/12 – Start WBR x 15 rounds
2/10/12 – Oral Cytoxan WORKING! Melted supraclav node & undetectable by US!
2/14/12 – FINISH 15 rounds WBR
6/12/12- Continuing on oral Methotrexate BID & Cytoxan qpm, but on chemo break
for 3rd week due to low counts.
6/15/12 – Yay! Resume chemoJ
6/25/12 – Chemo break again due to low counts L
6/28/12 – PET Scan & Brain MRI this week…
NED IS BACK!!! NED in the HEAD, NED in the BODY!
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
vonny

Wow Jessica, you have certainly had one hell of a rough ride!! Thank you for sharing that, you are one tough cookie!
I agree, I would not want Lorna taken off Herceptin yet not even for a short while, why would they have to take her off Herceptin for surgery?
You mention localised treatment to decrease the tumour load on the entire body; do you know what that could be?
We live in the UK, so we can be a few years behind the US when it comes to drug approval, however it does help tremendously to know that these new drugs are out there and it is only a matter of time before they are fully available to every woman or man in the UK that needs it.
Thank you, this site does give me hope, hope that my beautiful daughter will be able to fight and survive this horrible disease.
Much love
Yvonne
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
tricia keegan

Yvonne I know all of these drugs are available in Ireland but not sure about the U.K??

We had herceptin too as soon as it was approved for early stage but the U.K had to fight for it sadly!

I hope this info helps Lorna
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
rhondalea

Hi Yvonne,

The daughter of one of my favorite writers has Stage 4 HER2+ breast cancer, so I follow her blog. Just a couple of days ago, she had her mastectomy, so I thought you might be interested in reading her posts on the subject of surgery:

http://gracefulwomanwarrior.com/?s=s...&submit=Search

(You'll have to start from the bottom and work your way up for the chronology to make sense.)

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #18
jkdowl

I have a very similar story as your daughter. Diagnosed 12/10 with mets to spine (multiple vertebrae) from start. 9 months of taxol/herceptin/zometa. Stopped taxol 10/11, have been on taxol and zometa since then. I have not had surgery, my surgeon monitors primary tumor closely, but there is no palpable tumor left and told me if there is any signs of enlargement that I will have mastectomy immediately. I receive my treatment at Massachusetts General hospital in Boston. I have one of the best breast surgeons in the area. I am involved in a vaccine trial at John Hopkins hospital and the oncologist there agrees with the plan. I am nervous about not getting primary tumor out and I may eventually have to but for now I feel comfortable with the plan.

Dx- 12/6/10- stage IV to bone
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa
CT scans and bone scan- STABLE 4/19/11, 6/12/11, 10/4/11
Stopped taxol 9/29/11
Continue herceptin,zometa
John Hopkins vaccine trial 4/12-11-12
CT scans and bone scan- NED 4/12, 7/12, 10/12, 2/13,6/13
Brain MRI-clear 6/13
Left breast progression 8/14, Ct scan and bone scan-clear
brain MRI- clear
Mastectomy left breast 9/14

jkdowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
vonny

Hello Ladies
Just letting you have an update.
We had quite a positive appointment with the doc today but unfortunately it is still a bit of a waiting game.
Basically the plan of action is that Lorna is to have scans done so they can see where we are at with the primary tumour, this is to happen over the next 9 weeks and in the meantime they want Lorna to continue with Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks and get more of this treatment under her belt before surgery is considered to remove the primary tumour. At the end of the 9 weeks the team will then decide after looking at the scans if the tumour is small enough to remove, Lorna’s surgeon will apparently decide this.
It appears that they want to remove the tumour if it’s the right thing to do for Lorna but also the timing is quite crucial. Lorna is young, healthy and only has one area at the moment where the cancer has spread so in my mind it is the right thing to do.
In the meantime Lorna feels well and looks well so let’s hope this continues!
Love
Yvonne xx
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
laureen

I was not stage 4, but I did have chemo before surgery to shrink the tumor I was off chemo for almost a month before surgery and my tumor had already grown back to50 percent of its original size. Makes sense to me for surgery. I had lumpectomy with complete axillary node dissection. I did get lymphedema, so no massages soon after surgery, I think that's how I got mine. Keep us up to date, prayers your way.

Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagnosed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David born Feb. 6th 2009
Pregnant with baby #2, due in early june 2011.

*reach to recovery volunteer
*survivor recruitment committee -relay for life
*imerman angels
*making strides- team courage
*livestrong
*young survivor coalition YSC

laureen is offline   Reply With Quote