HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #1
TiffanyS

Back Pain

I have experienced back and shoulder pain on and off on the right side of my body for the last month or so. It was really bad a few weeks ago, and even woke me up in the middle of the night a few times, but then it went away. It came back again over the past weekend, and it was so bad that I actually took one of the morphine pills that were prescribed to me when I started to get muscle pains during my first round of chemo. I never used them then because the pain wasn’t bad after my first chemo, but when I used one over the weekend for my back pain, it didn’t work. I’ve tried Naproxen, Ibuprofen and Tylenol for muscle aches and body pain, but nothing seems to work, and the heating pad gives me temporary relief when I’m using it, but as soon as I move, the pain comes back. I mentioned this to my nurse and doctor on Tuesday, because I’m wondering if it could be the cancer that’s spread to either my spine or my bones, but my doctor don’t think it’s cancer, as it comes and goes, and is usually worse at night time. He thinks it’s muscular. I had a busy evening last night, and didn’t get home until almost 9:00 p.m. I did a few things and washed up, and then sat down to watch a little TV before bed, and the pain started. I decided to go to bed, because the pain usually gets better when I’m lying down, but it didn’t last night. In fact, last night was probably the most painful night of my life. My back, shoulder and neck on the right side of my body just wouldn’t stop throbbing. I finally took two Naproxen, and an hour later I took two Tylenol for muscle aches and body pain, and after that the throbbing pain started to subside, however, I still have pain in my shoulder and the middle of my back. I’m exhausted because I didn’t sleep all night, and I’m worried that nothing I take will help with this pain, and that I’m going to have to live with it until we can figure out what’s causing it. I do wear a silicone prosthetic breast on my left side, however, I’ve been wearing this for months, and have never had pain before, so I don’t think that’s what’s causing it. Has anyone else experienced really bad back pain? If so, what did you take to alleviate the pain? I don’t see my doctor again until next Tuesday, and I don’t think I could handle another night like last night. If the pain comes back, I think I may call an ambulance and go to emergency, because the pain was that bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6
11/16 – Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
03/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Kat77

Re: Back Pain

I had back pain before I was diagnosed de novo stage 4 at 37 years old. I had mets to spine exactly where my back pain was. When was your last bone scan? I don't mean to overly concern you but if not had bone scan recently should schedule one. Of course it seems every one I know has back pain so your doctors are most likely on point. I'm obviously super sensitive to back pain due to my specific case.
Kat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
TiffanyS

My last bone scan was in September, and everything looked good. I also had a full body CT scan in December, and that didn’t detect anything in my bones or on my spine. I asked for another bone scan when I was getting treatment on Tuesday, but my doctor wants to limit my exposure to radiation right now, as I’m getting CT scans every three months. My next CT chest scan is on March 13, and she told me that it should pick up anything in my bones. That being said, both the Fellow and oncologist think the back pain is muscular, based on how it comes and goes. I saw the pharmacist this morning, and she told me to take two Naproxen with two Tylenol 1’s if the pain comes back tonight. My back is sore today, but not throbbing, however, it tends to get worse when I sit down to watch TV at night. I really hope it’s not the cancer spreading, as that means my current treatment plan is not working. I just can’t understand what is causing this pain, as I’ve never had back pain like this before.

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
TiffanyS

Kat77, out of curiosity, was your back pain constant, or did it come and go?

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
TiffanyS

I went to the hospital for treatment yesterday, and told the nurses about my back pain (I didn’t see a doctor yesterday). They said while it is possible that it’s cancer, they don’t think it is because it’s a throbbing pain, which means muscular, and I haven’t experienced any nerve damage or tingling in my arms or legs, which usually comes with back paid cause by tumours. That being said, I did some of my own research yesterday, and breast and lung cancer are the two cancers that are most likely to travel to the spine, and my back pain is usually worst at night and pain pills don’t work for the pain, which are two common indications that the back pain is caused by cancer. I haven’t had back pain like I did last Wednesday night since then, however I’ve had a bit of an ache in my lower back since lying on the bed while getting chemo yesterday. I went for a massage on Monday, and she worked on the area, however, I wasn’t in pain at the time. She also checked out my back and she couldn’t see anything misaligned. As I haven’t injured myself, I just can’t find any other explanation for this pain, other than the cancer has spread! My CT scan is in a week and a half, and then I’ll have to wait another two weeks for the results, and, in the meantime, I’m having anxiety all over again! Not only do I have to worry about the “pimples” growing on my chest wall, but now I have to worry about this! My doctor did another CEA and CA-15-30 blood test yesterday, but I don’t know if they will tell us much, as they have never been elevated. I won’t get the results until my next appointment in two weeks, so I even have to wait for that! Cancer truly does suck!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine
Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Kat77

Sorry you have to wait so long for scan results, I usually get mine the next day. My back pain was always there but sometimes it hurt more than others. I always think every new ache or cough or upset stomach is the cancer spreading. You won't know for sure until the scan. I hope you can do something to reduce your anxiety in the meantime. Anxiety not good for you! Looks like you are doing the gold standard: Taxol , Herceptin and Prejeta; relax and let it work.
Kat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:01 AM   #7
TiffanyS

Thanks Kat77. I got my CT Chest scan moved to tomorrow, so I’ll have the results when I see my doctor at my next appointment on March 14. My last full body CT scan was in December, and it took over a week for my doctor to get the results. In fact, she didn’t have them when I went in for my appointment, and had to call the radiologist to get a verbal report. Apparently they are back-logged. I hope my doctor has my results by March 14. I also emailed my doctor yesterday to let her know that my back pain is getting worse. I’m not getting the throbbing pain that I had last Wednesday, however, I now have a dull ache on the lower right side of my back, and it doesn’t go away. I took two Naproxen last night, which helped a bit, but the dull ache never seems to go away anymore. I told her that if my CT chest scan doesn’t pick up anything in that area, I would like a full body MRI and another bone scan, regardless of the radiation exposure. I have no idea where this back pain is coming from, and I need to rule out cancer!

Yes, I’m currently getting the gold standard treatment, however, if I do have bone/spine mets, that means the medication is not working, as the cancer would have spread while on treatment. I find this very discouraging, and I’m starting to wonder if any treatment plan will work for me! I’ve already experienced a recurrence while on treatment, and, my lung/chest mets got worse while going through my first round of chemo. I wasn’t getting Perjeta at the time, however, I was getting Carboplatin, Docetaxal and Herceptin, and the cancer still grew. I’m trying to stay positive, but, right now, I’m feeling very discouraged!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine
Old 03-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
Juls

Hi Tiffany
Hope all goes well tomorrow. I waited over 3 weeks for my January CT report . So like you, I know scan-anxiety well!
The Ct report for last weeks scan was at Doctors in 2 days. The difference - one was for NHS and the other a private scan for a trial/study!
I had a bone scan as well and was worried that the tightness in my back was bone mets in spine. It wasn't - I think its actually muscular from sitting badly when I am using laptop!!
Must remember to sit up straight!! lol
Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:26 AM   #9
Benk

Hi Tiffany my wife suffers lower back pain usually at night which makes it difficult to sleep and in the morning once she gets moving it seems to get better , she was diagnosed with mets to lower spine which after chemo showed "healing" so we where concerned but the oncologist and osteo both keep saying its muscle related my mum has suffered breast cancer and gone through menopause and has same symptoms and suggests it could be a result of the menopause whilst the literature on tomaxifon suggests it could be a side affect of that drug.
Ben
Benk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
TiffanyS

Thanks all. I spoke to my nurse practitioner on the phone yesterday, and she’s pretty sure my back pain is muscular, based on what I told her. She said that if the pain was caused by a spine met, it would be nerve pain, and that pain meds like Naproxen and Acetaminophen would not work on nerve pain. The fact that the pain meds work, even a little bit, suggests that the pain is muscular. That being said, she was going to tell my doctor that I got my CT chest scan moved to today, and she’s going to ask my doctor to ask the radiologist to pay closer attention to the right side of my back. I’ve always has tension in my neck/shoulders due to sitting at a desk all day, but I’ve never had bad throbbing pain like I did last week, and I now have a constant dull ache on the right side of my back/shoulder/neck that doesn’t want to go away. My nurse practitioner thinks I may have pulled a muscle, and, because I’m getting chemo, it’s taking longer to heal. I don’t recall pulling a muscle though! My doctor does think that chemo has put me into early menopause, however, that started a year ago, so I’m not sure why I’d be getting back pain from that now. I’m also not taking Tamoxifen, or any other AI medications at the moment. I just can’t figure out what’s causing this non-stop back pain, and I’m glad I’m getting my CT scan this morning!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:41 AM   #11
Juls

Good luck with scan
Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
TiffanyS

Thanks Juls. The scan was done this morning, and I’m now back at work. Now, I just have to wait a week and a half to get the results! I hope they are good!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #13
Carol Ann

Hi Tiffany,

Praying this is muscular and not cancer, so sorry you have to wait so long to find out the results!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #14
TiffanyS

Thanks Carol Ann. The good news is, the pain has not been bad in a while, and my back only hurts if I sit or turn a certain way, so I’m starting to think it is muscular. I’ve also had a pain on the right side of my stomach for a couple of months now, but it’s on the outside of my stomach, not a stomach ache, and I think it’s all related. When I turn a certain way the right side of my body hurts a bit, and it’s a little sore to touch. I can’t wait to get my CT Scan results, so that I can confirm that it is just muscular, and not cancer! I asked my nurse practitioner to call me with the results once they are received, so I wouldn’t have to wait until my next appointment, but she said she’d have to ask the doctor. I’m not sure if my doctor will be okay with giving me the results over the phone, although she has in the past, so we shall see. Waiting is the hardest part!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – awaiting results.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
Cathya

Tiffany;

I was always told by my oncologist that if anything was found on scans they would contact me to come in immediately. This was so I never had to wait to go in for an appointment to receive bad news. I'm surprised yours doesn't do the same. My oncologist (who is now retired unfortunately) was considered by his peers to be a role model and highly respected. Even my oncologists for the ovarian cancer commented on him and the previous treatment I received. All the best to you.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #16
TiffanyS

My first CT scan was in February of 2016, and no one called me with the results. I had to wait until I met with a resident at my radiation oncologist’s office in March in order to get the results of my CT scan and pathology report. When I went for my second group of scans last September (bone, ultrasound, breast MRI, brain MRI and CT scan), I got the results of all scans at my appointment, except for my CT scan results, which my doctor didn’t have at the time. She then called me a few days later with the results, because it showed that the cancer had spread, and she wanted me to know that she cancelled my surgery, which was schedule for the following week. I don’t know if she would have called me if she didn’t have to tell me she was cancelling my surgery. Normally I have to wait until my next appointment to get my results. My next appointment is tomorrow, and I hope to get my results then, however, my doctor may not have them by then. Apparently they are backlogged, and it can take up to two weeks to get CT scan results. In December, my doctor didn’t have the results of my CT scans by the time my appointment date arrived, and she had to call to get a verbal report.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – awaiting results. If results are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
03/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled for end of month.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #17
TiffanyS

On another note, I still have back pain on and off, although it’s never been as bad as it was that Wednesday night. It’s still on the right side of my body, and I get pain anywhere from my lower back to my shoulder area, although it’s more prominent in my lower back and side. It seems to be worse when I’m sitting, and comes and goes based on how I move. I’m hoping that all of this means it’s muscular, however, I still can’t figure out what I did to cause this back pain.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – awaiting results. If results are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
jaykay

Hi Tiffany,

I hope the results of your CT scan are negative for anything bad.

However, I echo some of the others here in that I cannot believe you have to wait that long for the results. I have waited no more than three days for the results of any CT/MRI/Ultrasound to get to my doctors and they have called me as soon as they received the results (assuming their staff has passed them on). If I don't have the results in a couple of days, I call the doctor.

I don't know where you get your treatment but 10 days is extremely unreasonable.

Best,
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #19
TiffanyS

Thanks Janis. I read online that lower back pain is sometimes a side-effect from the Taxol, and I’m hoping that’s what’s causing my back pain, especially since the worst pain seems to take place after I get chemo.

My doctor has only called me once with test results, and that’s because she had to let me know that she was canceling my surgery. For every other test I’ve taken, I’ve had to wait for my next appointment to get my results. In regard to CT scan results, apparently they are backlogged at my hospital, and it sometimes takes the radiologist two weeks to get the results back to my doctor. If I don’t have my results at tomorrow’s appointment, I’m going to ask my doctor to call the radiologist to get a verbal report, as I don’t want to have to wait another week for my results.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #20
TiffanyS

I went for treatment yesterday, and I was hoping to get the results of my CT Chest scan, as I rescheduled my appointment for March 3 in order have the report by yesterday’s appointment. Unfortunately, the fellow I met with yesterday told me that they didn’t have the radiologist report yet, and that he called to see if he could get it by the end of the day, but didn’t think that would happen (which was the case). The good news is, he was able to download the scan, and compare it to my December scan, and, based on what he saw, it looks like there is some improvement to my lungs. Unfortunately, it did not look like there was any improvement to the lymph nodes in my chest. I asked him to look at my bones and spine, as I had been experiencing back pain for months, and he said he couldn’t see anything on my spine or bones. I can’t wait to get the radiologist report in order to confirm this, but it made me feel better. Now, I just have to figure out what’s causing this non-stop back pain!

My oncologist is on vacation this week, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to stop taking chemo after next week’s appointment, or if I will have to continue taking chemo until the end of June. My guess is that she’s going to make me continue taking chemo, given that there is no improvement to the lymph nodes in my chest. I advised the fellow that if I have to continue with chemo until the end of June, that I would need a chemo break on April 11 and 28th and May 2, as I will be going to visit my family for Easter and flying to Europe at the end of the month, and I don’t want to fly two days after getting chemo, as that is my worst day for chemo side effects. He said he didn’t think that would be a problem, and, to be honest, I need another chemo break, as my side-effects are getting worse with each treatment, in particular the shortness of breath. I can’t even walk up a flight of stairs anymore without having to stop to catch my breath, and my 30 min walk home is now taking me closer to 40 mins, because I have to stop to catch my breath, especially when going uphill.

On a positive note, I mentioned to the fellow that one of the three pimples on my chest wall appeared to be getting bigger, and, after examining the area, he told me that he would be sending me for an ultrasound in order to determine the size of the pimples. He will then send me for another one in three months in order to see if they have grown. If they have, we will know that they are cancer. If they haven’t, we can assume that they are scar tissue. I wish my oncologist had done this for me when I first told her about the pimples in January, as she knows how much stress and anxiety these pimples have caused me.

On another note, I noticed this morning that it was one year ago today that I had my first chemo treatment. Who would have thought that I would still be getting treatment a year later. Certainly not me! I guess I’ll have to get used to these treatments, as it looks like I’ll be getting them for the rest of my life!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25