HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
stephanie59

Reconstruction

Now that I feel like an old timer and have received tremendous support already from dozens of you, I want to get feedback regarding reconstruction experiences.

I was one of those who opted for a masectomy and have never been sorry even though my pathology reports showed clear margins and the tumor was only 2cm. I went for five years without reconstruction and never felt deformed. I have a great husband who never indicated he thought I was any less attractive as well.

The fall of my 5th year I decided to explore the idea of reconstruction and my HMO sent me to a plastic surgeon with great credentials. In December 2003 he placed an expander in my left "breast" which he filled every 3 weeks until July 2004. I am 5'4" and weigh 125 pounds and my other breast is a B and I told him several times I just wanted to look the same as I did pre-cancer.

I came out of surgery July 2004 with a goiter looking D cup breast and have never felt so awful in my whole life. The doctor had made the decision in spite of my wishes that I would like to be bigger so he put a 450cc silicone implant in. The next December I went in to have the implant replaced with a 360cc size and have a lift to the right breast. Unfortunately even though the size was better the shape was really bad as the expander had not developed a natural shape. Also unable to have lift to right breast because of an infection.

I gave up on that doctor and switched to a new highly recommended one who suggested I try a more natural pear shaped implant about the same size. So in July 2005 I had a third surgery to replace implant with a new one and a lift to the right breast (which still sagged a lot). I still did not look natural even in a bra so the next November 2005, he reshaped the left breast skin sack and did another lift of the right breast.

Still not looking natural but told I am too picky. I guess it's too much to expect to look normal after breast cancer but I was determined to get as close as possible. Not totally happy with the implant--the shape is ok but it is too big and it does not come in a smaller size. Had another surgery in July 2006 to lift the right breast again but it will never be as high as the other one. I guess that is to be expected as the implant is as perky as a 20 year old and the right one has 59 years of wear on it. I tape the right one every day in an effort to make them look fairly even.

So I have had 6 surgeries in 3 years in an effort to look somewhat the same as I did pre-cancer with not much luck. I am actually sorry I started the whole thing since I didn't feel bad sans boob, but I viewed it as a celebration of five years of survival. After the second or third surgery it became a mission to get what I wanted.

Part of the problem is that there are no real looking impants out there for reconstruction. Most of them are round and even the teardrop ones (like mine) tend to be too big for smaller women. Doctors seem to think any implant is better than none and can't understand how hard it is to look in the mirror everyday and feel ugly.

Is there anyone else out there who has gone through the reconstruction nightmare? Please share your stories. Stephanie
stephanie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
atdec05

I appreciate hearing your experience. I am at my one-year anniversary and am 90% sure I don't want reconstruction, but feel I should at least talk to a plastic surgeon. I am barely a B, so if it's true they don't make small implants, that would settle that.

I am also looking into DIEP, because even though I'm small, I never lost my 2 pregnancy pouch, and I'm thinking I might have enough for a breast. Anyone have experience with DIEp surgery?

- Anna

er/pr-, her2+
stage 1
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:38 AM   #3
Mary Jo

Hi Stephanie,

I, like you, opted out of reconstruction when I had my mastectomy. When treatment was all over they biopsied a suspicious area in my other breast. Thankfully, all was benign but I opted for yet another mastectomy at that time. The breast cancer side (right) was removed with clear margins - microscopic cell in first node - left breast removed and no cancer found at all. I, also like you, never regretted my "new look" and felt I needed to do what I did for me. It was the best decision for me.

At this time I don't think I'll opt for reconstruction. The length of surgery and all sounds awful to me. I HATE surgery and the whole medical scene (boy wasn't I lucky to get cancer - LOL LOL LOL). After reading your post I am thankful I didn't go through that either.

Good luck to you AND I'm thankful you are doing well.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
Sheila

Stephanie....I know exactly how you feel...I have walked in your shoes...or your bra!
I went for reconstruction 1 1/2 years post mastectomy, had the tissue expander placed....had it filled every 2 weeks...then in the midst of all of this, I developed mets to the supraclavicular area so they went fast paced to remove the tissue expander and put the silicone implant in....I developed capsular adhesions around the implant, it is hard, sore snd unnatural looking....I had a silicone implant made by Mentor.....needless to say, I never went back for nipple reconstruction, the breast lift on the other breast etc....I wish I had never done the reconstruction! So now, 3 years later, I look back and wonder why I went through all of that to look and feel like I do....I felt much better without the reconstruction.....if I do go back for surgery, it will be to get it removed....life was simpler with a prosthesis!...Oh and by the way, I did achieve one benefit from reconstruction, from the way the muscles were shelved and lifted to hold the implant, I can now wink with my left breast.....what a benefit!!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:09 AM   #5
Yorkiegirl

Stephanie I don't have any experience with this, BUT am glad you posted. As I now 18 months out and I have just now decided to think about implants on both sides. I will go and get a consult, I want implants only and nothing else done since I don't have any help except the dog's. ( hubby oversea's)

I only want to have a B size implant and I hope this can be done. BUT you have made me really think now.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Monica

You have me worried now. After waiting two years, I just scheduled reconstruction for the end of next month, and I'm an A. My surgeon prides himself on making women's breast symmetrical and the way they looked pre-cancer. I know women who are very happy with his work, but now I'm wondering if that's because they were larger breasted. I always thought smaller breasts would be easier, but that just shows how much I know. I'll have to talk to him about his experience with smaller breasted women.

Monica
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
jener8er

Hi girls, I think I can comment on this thread! I had my mastectomy, left side, Oct 04 and didn't do any kind of reconstruction at the time - couldn't even think about. I THOUGHT I wouldn't ever bother, but being lop-sided bothered me more than I ever thought it would. After doing TONS of research, I went to UCLA for DIEP this past June. While the op was no picnic, I am SO glad I did it. I feel so much better not having to worry about a prosthesis. I also had a prophylactic mastectomy on my "good" side for peace of mind, symmetry and just cos I was only going to do it once! I go back in November for revisions/nipples and then will just need to get tattoos done. I can honestly say I feel so much better having made the decision and going through with it. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has. It is a tough decision and one that's not right for everyone - YOU have to decide what you can live with. I couldn't live with one breast.
Jen
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
sally

very small implant

I had a lumpectomy and partial mastectomy. I am barely a B cup. I had two surgeries which involved moving my tissure around to form a roundness again and pop the nipple back out. My surgeon said he could but a very small implant in to fill in the dent but I chose not to. One side is smaller than the other but looks o.k. with a bra on. I know a couple of people first hand that said they wished they had never put the implants in. I hope this can be of some help to you. Good luck. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Bev

Anna. John Hopkins has an ask a nurse forum. Diep's seem to be one of their specialties. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
stephanie59

Monica; they have small implants, you just have to make sure your surgeon is listening to you. Mine wasn't. The implant I have now is a tear drop or pear shape and because I am older looks a bit more natural than the round ones. However, the smallest size it comes in is 360cc and I would have liked it a bit smaller. But it was a trade off between shape and size. My real problem continues to be the shape of the original expansion which my current doctor has tried his best to resolve. I have gained some weight so my right breast is bigger these days, so I would say I am matching pretty well. Your doctor sounds great--wish I could have gone to him. Stephanie
stephanie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #11
sherri

Jen,

Can you give me your PS's name and Phone, I'm looking to find a good one, let me know a little bit about your experience.

Big hug,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
jener8er

Hi Sherri, I went to Dr James Watson at UCLA Med Ctr - wonderful man! A genius if you ask me. Do you have any specific questions I can answer for you? I am pleased with my result so far, and looking forward to my 2nd surgery Nov 1st to lift my prophylactic side and create nipples. Then I'll go back a third time for tattooing. Very glad I did it. Feel free to ask anything you'd like to know.
Jen
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote