HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
marymary

Smile Back Home from Seattle

Just received my first vaccine at the University of Washington. I came back home full of renewed hope from seeing how hard these professionals are working to find successful strategies for beating HER II Neu b/c.

It wasn't easy but I am so grateful that this vaccine was/is available.

Maybe another day I will write about some more of the details. Tonight I just wanted to write about the gratitute I am feeling that we have this new option that doesn't involve poison or radiation.

Hopefully some day soon it will be available to every woman everywhere who is coping with HER II Neu breast cancer.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Lolly

Mary, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings tonight about the vaccine and the wonderful group of people at UW/Seattle! I went through the vaccine program last year, and remain in touch with the Tumor Group, hoping to be cleared to go througn the T-Cell Infusion protocol. Let us know more when you're up to it.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
yellowfarmhouse

hoping to get approved for trial

Hi! I have been in contact with U of Wash about the DNA based vaccine for HER 2 + stage 3,4 gals. I am considered stage 3 and am two years out from dx. So far it looks like I meet the criteria. This week I'm expecting paperwork from the univ.

Some questions: Are there two types of vaccine? DNA based and viral based? What is the difference? I'm HER 2 3+ , is the DNA one the best for that?

Any tips on travel? Hotels? How long are you there? I heard it's a pretty full day the first time you go?

Thanks so much,
Wendy
yellowfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
fullofbeans

Hi there,

I am currently undertaking the peptide vaccination there. DNA vs Viral both are on trial (same phase I think?) so there is no answer as to which one is best in the long term, unfortunatly, but they may both turn out to be excellent! I am just glad that they have no control group (they use historical data which makes sense) imagine never knowing whether you are receiving the STUFF or just water solution!!

There are great at the UW, I had a great feeling when dealing with them. They care.

You only need to be there for few hours. Personally I stay at the geen tortoise hostel It is just fine, clean and friendly and there is a direct bus from there to the UW Medical centre, all very cheap. UW can give you a discount on a hotel arond 70-80$ per room.

Best wishes, hope it helps!
Karina

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
yellowfarmhouse

thanks for the info

Hi! I should find out this week if I meet all the qualifications as I had the DNA blood test done. Thanks for sharing a bit of your experience. I'll let you all know if I get in and then how travel goes. The cancer I had was 3A with four nodes and HER 2 3+.

Blessings,
Wendy
Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
yellowfarmhouse

seattle cancer vaccine trial

Hi again,

I qualified for the trial and travel in a few weeks. Thanks for the info about the hostel. I called the ACS and they said they might also be able to help with lodging options.

Wendy
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
dee1969

Could i get name, any info from you about this vaccine?

Hi Mary! I was diagnosed stage 4 BC, with tumours in brain , liver, kidneys and lungs two months ago. ( Had bilateral mastectomy, stage 3 two years ago). Am her2 and estrogen pos. I am on Abraxane and Tykerb. I am obviously very curious about any new info , advances in fighting this and would love any info/ links on this vaccine you mention. Many, many Thanks, Dee
dee1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
yellowfarmhouse

travel to seattle

HI! Just an update. I've had the first two injections so far. No problems at all. The physicians and nurses are so nice! Travel had gone very well. I've actually been enjoying my trips out there. The vaccine has been going on for many years actually as I understand it and is proving effective. I'm in the DNA trial. A friend of mine is doing peptide based for stage 2 gals out in Penn.
blessings to all,
Wendy
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Mykentuckyhome

To full of beans, What is this vaccine and how do you qualify. If you can give me any info it would be greatly appreciated. linda
Mykentuckyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
yellowfarmhouse

Hi again,
Just returned from Seattle. Had third DNA vaccine. All is well. I'm also in a study as a control for the peptide one as I don't have the HLA thing for that one. I took my daughters this time and stayed out on Bainbridge Island. If anyone is going to Seattle, I have found really great places to stay. The ACS arranged my first hotel but I've paid for the rest as summer very busy tourist season in Seattle -- but they may be able to help for my upcoming trips out there. Anyone else currently in this trial? The team at UW so NICE!!! Treat you like family. We've also taken in some great sights.... ferry ride with sunrise on mountains, Pike Market, Aquarium, Museum of Flight etc...

Take care all,
Wendy