HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
Lolly

Hi All
I just had the blood test to see if I'm HLA-A2 and won't know the results for a couple of weeks. Am hoping to get in this trial and was wondering if anyone is enrolled yet?
If so have you had the vaccine and did you have any kind of reaction?

Love Lolly
For those seeking a clinical trial option: we have a vaccine study for women who are stage II and no history of herceptin within 5 years of diagnosis and at least 1 + node; we also are seeking women(and men) who are stage III or IV not currently on herceptin and NED for a DNA vaccine study (is that enough accronyms for you?!) and the third study we seek volunteers for is the combination herceptin/vaccine study for those who are stage IV NED (= No Evidence of Disease or stable disease) and who are HLA A2.

If you think you may fit one of these please email/call me (206) 616-9538.

Together we can make a difference.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Brian

My wife Lisa has been entered into the study and we had our first treatment at the end of June. She did very well in that she suffered only mild flu-like symptoms the day after the treatment. She suffered some fatigue but we live in Pittsburgh Pa. and the flight was trying and she was suffering from some stomach flu when we went out there. Lisa took her regular herceptin treatment a few days later and all went well.
Andrea and the staff there are wonderful and we have great hope for the effectiveness of the vaccine.
We are going to Seattle to take our second treatment this weekend.
Hope you are A2 positive (Andrea said that about 40% of women are so). Good luck! Hope to see you out there. If you have any other questions e-mail us at briandod@aol.com
Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 AM   #3
Christine

Brian and wife.It's such a pleasure to hear you are enrolled in the early vaccine trials. They seem to hold a promising future for many. I'd be interested to hear from you on our web site about her progress and experience.
Well wishes to you and your bride. Thank her for being an innovative pioneer in this quest
Old 07-24-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Lolly

Brian THANKS for the post; it's very encouraging to know Lisa did so well with the first dose. I will let you all know if I'm A2 positive. I hope I am!
It's amazing that you're coming all the way from Pa.
Love Lolly
Old 07-25-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
celina

Forgive me if I'm a little behind on the clinical trials but what is the advantage of the vaccine for someone who is already receiving Hereptin?
Old 07-25-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Lolly

They don't know if there IS an advantage to receive the vaccine while on Herceptin thus the trial to determine if the immune response generated by those on Herceptin is stronger than what was generated by women who received the vaccine in earlier trials but who weren't on Herceptin.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
Esther

I tested positive for the A2 gene and in the process of submitting all my paperwork to hopefully get in this study as well. I have a tentative appt set up in Seattle for the 11th of Aug.
Brian has your wife had any follow-up tests yet? I'm really interested to know any updates you can provide.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
brian

Esther We are going out to Seattle for the third time this weekend. At that time they plan to take a large blood draw and I believe take the first test for antibodies. Andrea told us that the blood tests are expensive and that in the previous studies most patients did not develop antibodies until at least the third or fourth treatment.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:45 AM   #9
Capi

Brian

Did they help with any of the airfare expenses. Please advise. I also am asked to go on the study but would also have to fly in....and that can get expensive.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:53 PM   #10
brian

No the travel expenses have not been paid by the study. My wife and I have funded the travel expense. Note that the University has a deal with the local Best Western and we get a reduced rate for our room during our stay.