HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Rich66

Bogus Breast Cancer Research (Why the Little Pink Ribbon Has Me Seeing Red)

http://healthbeatnews.com/news/archives/637

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Bogus Breast Cancer Research (Why the Little Pink Ribbon Has Me Seeing Red)

A 'background check' of this 'Doctor' reminded me of a conversation 20 years ago between our library volunteer (a retired pathologist) and the receptionist of my then family doctor (who had been avoiding seeing me after he had failed to diagnose/take action to give me referral for my headaches caused by a huge, life-long brain tumor.)

Dr. Paulin Growsky chewed out the young lady: "Are you a doctor? Are you supposed to give medical advice?"

DANA MYATT, N.M.D.
Member: American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (eligible)
President: ECAFH Foundation, Inc. (Exploring Complementary Answers for Health)
Chief Medical Officer: The Wellness Club
Author: A Physicians Diary
Professor: Atlantic University
Graduate: National College of Naturopathic Medicine
Dr. Dana Myatt is no ordinary doctor. As a naturopathic family physician, her career has been a "first" in many respects.
Dr. Myatt is a graduate of The National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon. As the first naturopathic physician on staff at the A.R.E. Clinic, she served as Director of Medical Residencies, supervising the training of doctors, nurses and medical students in holistic healing techniques. She was also the first naturopathic doctor at the Scottsdale Holistic Medical Group.

----------

I did the 'background check' because she did not mention anything about the genetic aspect of breast cancer and the breakthroughs being made in the treatment of breast cancer - especially Her2 breast cancer.

The 'Big Pharma' has a lot to do with the development of Herceptin - our miracle drug - and other new targeted medicine. The impact of donations by individuals is probably not measured by the dollar amount, but more by the number of participants and the 'movement'.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-31-2010 at 03:02 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
Jackie07

Did some checking on 'Atlantic University' where she's a 'faculty':

Atlantic University is an accredited graduate-level educational institution of higher learning in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The university offers non-degree certificate programs and one formal graduate level program, the master of arts in transpersonal studies. This program at the Virginia university is interdisciplinary in nature. It focuses on holistic living, the nature of reality, the universe and humanity. Students are encouraged to apply the concepts in their own lives and to work toward integrating their mind, body and spirit.

Designed for busy adults, the degree program at Atlantic University is mostly a distance-learning program. Students receive class materials online, and they are offered a mentor for the course. Email is the main mode of communication at the Virginia university. The master's program involves 37 semester-credit hours.

Quick Facts:

Atlantic University was originally established in 1930, but due to economic situations, the school was only open for two years. The Virginia university reopened in 1985 as a graduate school. The first class graduated in 1989.
Philosopher and holistic healing pioneer, Edgar Cayce, was one of the founders of Atlantic University in 1930.
Atlantic University is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council in Washington, DC. It is licensed by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia to confer the master degree in transpersonal studies through distance-learning.
Atlantic University has 16 faculty members and most hold doctorate or terminal degrees in their field.

For students who are not interested in obtaining a master's degree in transpersonal studies, Atlantic University offers the distance-learning non-credit program. Because classes taken in the non-credit program earn no academic credit, they are not transferable to the master's degree program.

"A little knowlege is dangerous knowlege." It's wonderful that more and more people are paying attention to the diagnosis and treatment of Breast Cancer. We just need to be very careful about what/who we are listening to.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-31-2010 at 03:31 AM..
Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Rich66

However one interprets the mortality stats, the issue of how many individual advocacy organizations and respective infrastructures there are does strike a chord with me. Somehow, the house keeps getting donation calls from cancer organizations I've never heard of. And I have enough experience with organizations in general to know that it's all too easy for them to end up up focusing on preserving their own existence as opposed to filling a unique need or synergizing with other organizations.
I guess in this case I found the message more compelling than the messenger.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Jackie07

Here's a website with various links to the topic. The data is a little bit old (early 2000's), but it gives us some idea about the non-profit organizations.

http://nccsdataweb.urban.org/FAQ/index.php?category=51

Marie, where are you? Tell us about your experience/expertise with the non-profit organization.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13