HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
valleygirl

Help please

Hello friends, I need your help. I'm still having horrible pain, it feels like someone beat me all over with a baseball bat.
It's not so bad when I'm moving. When I sit longer then a half hour I have a very hard time getting back up. At night is the worst, I have pain every where even my hands. My feet, knees, arms and my shoulders ache so bad it keeps me up at night. My doctor's not sure why. I'm getting herceptin every three weeks and just had my 5th and it seems to get worse. I know I read on here some time ago about how the herceptin is mixed with alcohol to save the extra that wasn't used for the next person. I now go to a much smaller hospital and think that's what's happening but I can't find it on here. I know the poster took the info that was posted on here to their doctor and I'm looking for that post to take to my doctor. He keeps giving me different types of pain medication and it just doesn't help. I asked if the herceptin was mixed with any preservatives and he kind of blew me off. He told me that he never had everyone with my type of problem. I come to this board daily and find so much comfort in knowing I'm not alone.
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
valleygirl

Talking Re: Help please

or what medications that have helped you with the pain. Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Becky

Re: Help please

Here are a couple of threads I found for you. The first 2 are the most relevent.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...benzyl+alcohol

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...benzyl+alcohol

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...lcohol+Lani%22

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...uted+herceptin

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
sarah

Hi Valley Girl,
Sorry to hear about the pain issue. Are you taking anything else? How long have you been on Herceptin?
I was on Herceptin for 6 years but I never had the side effect (pain) that you mention. I had some skin problems. They sometimes add an anti-allergy substance to the infusion. I asked them not to do that because it made me too drowsy and I had to drive 40 minutes on a highway after the infusion so not a good idea.
I'll be interested to hear what others say.
take care and I hope they find a solution, pain is not good.
hugs and love
sarah
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
yanyan

Hi Valley girl ! Don't mean to stress you out but maybe your doctor should order a MRI or scan if the pain is consistent. Hope everything is all right !
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
KsGal

I think that was me. I was having the all over pain. I do get mine mixed now with sterile water instead of the mixture with the preservative, and honestly the pains did stop. My ankles, my knees, my legs, everything just ached all the time. I had to talk to the nurse on the chemo team that mixed mine, talking to the doctor himself didn't seem to help me for whatever reason. My doctor thought it came premixed, but it doesn't. Talk to your infusion team. It can't hurt to try it, and it honestly did help me. Some of us must just be ontolerant to the preservative they use.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
chrisy

Good to know, glad it seems to have improved things for you!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
valleygirl

Thanks!!! I plan to make copies and take to my doctor. Every time I told him about the pain he gave me a different type of pain medicine and told me that no one else that he's had on herceptin have complained of this type of pain. Hope after I show me this I'll get a different reaction.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Lani

Were you premenopausal at diagnosis? Are you postmeopausal and now on antihormonals?

Chemo places most premenopausal women into sudden premature menopause
and the SUDDEN extreme loss of estrogen can cause arthralgias (joint pains)

Antihormonals, particularly AIs, seem cause have similar complaints in some.

I had posted several times about the benzyl alcohol--I don't think it is published but removing it has improved symptoms in quite a few I hear.

The AI complaints have been accompanied by MRI changes in tendon sheaths etc (use the search function to find my post on that).

The disbelief/irritation you seem to feel are emanating from your oncologist may just result from his feeling unable to figure out what it is and how to help you. There is a lot published on arthralgias from AIs, not much of which find a great deal of relief with antiinflammatories, glycosamine glucans and other "drugs" tried.

Try to get used to using ENTREZ PUB MED (google it) putting in arthralgias breast cancer and follow the latest discoveries.

Hope this helps!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Emy

Also try ginger tea...it helps with any inflamation
July 2015 stopped weekly taxol (2.5 years of weekly taxol) still on herceptin perjeta every 3 weeks..still ned
Jun 2014 liver ablation of 1 liver tumor..now ned
Jun 28, 2013 ca15-3 24, cea 3.8... Pet scan showed 2 liver tumors with intensity of 2.7 and 2.5 (11/13 intensity was 8.0)
Jan 2013 herceptin, perjeta every 3weeks, taxol weekly
Jan 2013 MRI showed 3 liver tumors doubled in size ca-15 is 55 end of month 71, cea 7
Dec 2012. Pet scan showed single liver nodule, having MRI liver on dec18th...MRI liver 3tumors... on herceptin, tykerb , fulvestrant ca-15-3 is 42
Sept 2012 ca-15 went from 85 to 35, pet scan showed decrease
May 2012 herceptin every 3 weeks, 1500 tykerb daily (6pills) and fulvestrant every 3 wks
May 2012 herceptin stopped working ca-15 is 85
Sept 2011 started herceptin every 3 wks and femara daily..mets to liver. Bone and lymph nodes
2011 liver mets...all samples from 2001 and 2010 reviewed...her2 positive, fish 5.4. Er positive, prog neg. Stage 4 breast ca...never was lung cancer
2010 16 weeks of chemotherapy for lung cancer (incorrect). Carboplatin and vinalbine...was actually breast ca mets
2010 misdiagnosed with lung cancer ..2cm tumor removed..lower right lobe removed
2001-2006 tamoxifen
2001. Ductal ca. Rt mastectomy
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
KsGal

Valley, I think it really could help. I wouldn't have known if I, myself, had not read it on this site. It honestly is, I would say, at least 80% better. I was so sore I was barely getting around. When I first told my onc what I wanted, he was pretty condescending when I mentioned I belonged to a forum and had gotten my information from there, but the chemo nurse seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. For insurance billing reasons, she said she would try it one time mixed with the sterile water rather than the vial of preservative, and I would have to report back to her on the difference it made. The first time was some better, so I just stuck with it, and honestly after a few treatments without the preservative it just went away. I hope it does the same for you, and Im thinking it will because our cases sound so similar. Here's to feeling better! Let us know how it goes.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
valleygirl

KsGal, how did it work with your insurance? If they use the alcohol as a preservative to keep any unused Herceptin, how will I be charged?
I’m assuming that I don’t use a full bottle. Will I be charged for the whole bottle since I don’t want them to use the preservative and will
my insurance pay for the unused portion? I thought of finding someone else who’s getting the same and maybe share a bottle but thinking that wouldn’t work trying to find someone that just needed what was left and it being a very small hospital. Thanks for any input J
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Lauriesh

I am able to get it mixed without the preservative as long as there is another person getting herceptin that day. I have been having it mixed this way for almost a year, and there was only one time she couldn't mix it without.

It is definitely worth it. My joint pain is nonexistent now.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
valleygirl

Got it with out the alcohol yesterday!!!! I'll check in in a couple of weeks and let you know if it works.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Jackie07

Margaret,

Look up (use the 'Search' button) 'neuropathy' and see if that's what you are experiencing. Try to walk 30 minutes everyday - it can fix a lot of things.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
StephN

Margaret - Welcome. Just wanted to mention you may wish to change your screen name to something other than an email address. We are not a totally secure site, and would not want you to get unnecessary spam from the people who troll the web for email addys.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
jml

Hi~
After my 1st year of treatment of weekly Herceptin + chemo, I reached NED and we were able to drop chemo and go to Vitamin H solo.
I also switched to q3week Herceptin. As I recall, that q3week dose created so much global arthalgia-especially in my neck & cervical spine, making moving around uncomfortable and teaching (Pilates) almost impossible. I switched back to weekly treatment and that solved the problem.
If your current solution doesn't work, maybe this change in schedule will help? I know it's a bummer to have to go to weekly treatment, but if it makes life more liveable, then it's worth it.
Now, many many years down the road, I am able to tolerate q3week Herceptin.
Best of luck~

Keep the Faith,

Jml

Dx-5/17/02 - 33 yo; Stage IV - L IDC w/single liver met
1) Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
2) ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
3) Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
4) Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks Rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
5) 05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
6) 10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
7) 2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single brain lesion x 4mm & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
8) 6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
9) 8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
10) 3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
11) 7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study;
Disease progression - 2 small lesions in colon – docs have never seen this before in BC
11) 8/11 –Start new combo Halaven+Herceptin
10/14/11 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin...
10/18/11 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
Good interval response, continue on H+H!

10/25/11 – new 2mm questionable spot in brain? Due to Novalis or new disease?
Re-scan in 8 weeks.
1/3/12- Disease progression; 50%increase size & SUV-R lung, middle lobe 6cm lesion.
R supraclav node multiple, miscellaneous nodes in belly. Colon lesions fired up.
12)Herceptin+ metronomic Cytoxan + Methotrexate.
…on a hope & a prayer. Only chemo I haven’t been on is Taxotere.
Hurry up Pertuzumab & TDM1!
Follow Up Brain Scan on 1/18/12…pleasepleaseplease be okay. I can’t take much more.
1/18/2012- 8 new spots in 8 weeks since last Brain MRI
one 2cm spot in brain stem, one 2cm spot in R temporal lobe.
No symptoms, THANK GOD!
1/25/12 – Start WBR x 15 rounds
2/10/12 – Oral Cytoxan WORKING! Melted supraclav node & undetectable by US!
2/14/12 – FINISH 15 rounds WBR
6/12/12- Continuing on oral Methotrexate BID & Cytoxan qpm, but on chemo break
for 3rd week due to low counts.
6/15/12 – Yay! Resume chemoJ
6/25/12 – Chemo break again due to low counts L
6/28/12 – PET Scan & Brain MRI this week…
NED IS BACK!!! NED in the HEAD, NED in the BODY!
10/26/12 – Still NED in the HEAD, but single troublesome node in chest, precariously close
to superior vena cava/heart. Not a perfect scan, but pretty darn good.
Maintain current treatment and Echocardiogram on 11/1 to keep an eye on node.11/1/12 –echo shows normal cardiac function J & node non-threating,
but experiencing symptoms of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome (obstruction/compression)

12/3 - hold cytoxan & methotrexate bc counts too low.
12/13-moved up PET scan due to increased SVC symptoms
12/14 –No more NEDL node progression causing increased SVC symptoms
12/17 – repeat echo & new chest mri for closer look…

Radiation to chest node recommended, change of systemic treatment pending
12/20/12 – 1/10/13 -14 rounds of rads to chest for mass causingSVCS
1/17/2013 – Started Pertuzumab, Herceptin, Taxotere
1/26-1/30 – Surprise hospital stay for severe dehydration, dangerously low counts & blood born staph.
jml is offline   Reply With Quote