HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
R.B.

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)

I keep coming across interesting refrences for NAC as a supplement.

I had no idea it was the basis of a treatment of mucus etc.

I have also seen suggestions it is used in the fats pathways "reduces the toxic effects of arachindonic acids in hypoxic conditions".

One to keep an eye on?.

RB

http://www.diet-and-health.net/artic...cysteine%20NAC

http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/hn/...l_Cysteine.htm
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
heblaj01

R.B.

in addition to your finding, I remember seing past comments that NAC has some antitumour activity (as an antiangiogenesis agent if my memory is right).
I also recall one MD stating that tylenol pills should have been made with a small amount of NAC to provide protection against liver side effects of chronic use of the pain killer.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
R.B.

Re NAC see last line inhibition of action of LTB4 by NAC acting as a peroxide scavenger?. It also raises questions as to balck and white arguments that chemo therapies simply work by "oxidation" and there is no role for anti oxidants / antioxidants should be avoided.

LTB 4 is a product on the eicosanoid pathway derived from omega sixes, related to tissue swelling, leaky endothelium etc. Also a ppar alpha activator to interacts as a regulator in fats mechanisms.

Cpmlex stuff the vast majority of which I do not understand by interesting none the less.

RB

http://www.signaling-gateway.org/dat...ligandabbr=LB4

Ligand Description

Ligand name: Leukotriene B4 (LTB4)

Synonym: 5(S), 12(R)-dihydroxy-6, 14-cis-8,10-trans-eicosatetraenoic acid

3 Letter code: LB4

Receptor: BLT1 (also known as BLT, previously known as P2Y7), BLT2

Other receptors: PPARa (peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor a)

Ligand screen reagent: 98%; ethanol solution

Description of ligand and signaling pathway, including biological role: LTB4 is produced in neutrophils and macrophages from membrane-cleaved arachidonic acid. Soluble LTB4 induces a broad range of activities in myeloid cells and some lymphocytes, including chemotaxis and, in myeloid cells, the production and release of reactive oxygen species. The BLT1 receptor is a G-protein coupled receptor (GPCR) that is expressed or can be induced in neutrophils, eosinophils, and macrophages, but its full range of expression is not yet known. The BLT2 receptor is encoded in the same region as BLT1, but it is broadly expressed and has greater avidity for LTB4. Signaling by either receptor is inhibited by pertussis toxin, suggesting that they utilize Gi-like G proteins. The use of G proteins, however, may vary between cells. Neutrophils and macrophages from BLT1 null mice do not show a rise in intracellular free calcium in response to LTB4. Depending on the stimulus, recruitment of eosinophils, neutrophils, and macrophages is reduced.

The PPARa, a nuclear receptor for LTB4, is a transcription factor. The functional role of the interaction of LTB4 with PPARa has not been established.

References:
Yokomizo T, Izumi T, Shimizu T. (2001) "Leukotriene B4: metabolism and signal transduction", Arch Biochem Biophys 385(2): 231-41.

Written by: William Seaman

greenarrow close this window
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote