HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
heblaj01

Breast Cancer Update 2006:lots of info

The latest Breast Cancer Update 2006 (http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/bcu2006/2/default.htm) has a huge amount of information in particular (but not exclusively) on HER+ cancers.
While the site is intended to supply information on recent treatment developments to the medical community it is in general quite readable for the non expert.
This is resulting from the verbal format used: informal interviews or comments or discussions. So there no excessive amount of complex biology & the comments are often interesting as they go beyond the the strict scientific presentation of the results of clinical trials. (Several commentators were involved in the running of clinical trials)
There are for instance variations on treatment protocols justified for individual cases or classes of patients by some oncologists (see one example by Dr Kent Osborne on high dose Fulvestrant).
A section called Controversies in Systemic Therapy of Breast Cancer. Special Edition (http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/bc...me/default.htm) has the replies of expert clinicians to treatment questions by prime caregivers in 8 individual patient cases. It is interesting in the comments to justify the treatment selections.
There are many audio renditions of the talks (http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/do.../2/default.asp) as well as some in script.
The audio sessions are conveniently subdivided in sections (called tracks) which may be selected for separate listening.

I wonder if someone would listen to Track 20 of Dr Kathleen Pritchard interview to identify the name of the drug (which she says is similar to Herceptin) but crosses the blood-brain barrier & is a candidate to treat brain tumours.
This track is titled Incidence of brain metastases in patients receiving trastuzumab.(http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/do.../default.asp#2)
I was not able to decipher the spelling of that drug she names at the end of Track 20 .
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Lani

And the name you could not make out was...

Lapatinib (aka tykerb)
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
heblaj01

Thanks Lani.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
RobinP

Thanks for the post. found this interesting in it on relapse rates...

Excerpts from the Professionals:

DR PRITCHARD: The most interesting piece of data I saw was a curve showing that disease in untreated patients with ER-negative disease recurs quickly in the first few years, but then their curves level out much more than patients with ER-positive disease. On the other hand, untreated patients with ER-positive disease do much better in the first five years, and they’re still ahead in the next five years. However, at approximately 10 years, the disease-free survival curves for ER-positive and ER-negative disease cross over each other, and at 15 years, the survival curves are crossing.

DR LOVE: So the untreated patients with ER-positive disease have a higher delayed relapse rate than those with ER-negative disease?

DR PRITCHARD: Yes. It’s slower and steadier, but they keep recurring. It makes sense that we’re now seeing that treatment after five years can be very helpful, because these patients have an ongoing risk. We haven’t all appreciated this very well until the last few years. I believe that the Saphner paper showed this ongoing risk, and the Oxford Overview data have shown this before as well (Saphner 1996).

We all think of ER-positive disease as having a better natural history, but the fact is that by 10 years, more of the patients with ER-positive disease have recurred than the ER-negative group, both untreated. It’s shocking because we thought we could treat these patients with tamoxifen and after that they would do well and we would not have to worry about them, but they continue on having recurrences.

So I think adding additional treatment with an aromatase inhibitor or certainly evaluating these patients in clinical trials is important.

And more interesting comments on TX. for small tumors; excerpts from the Professionals:

DR LOVE: How do you manage a HER2-positive tumor smaller than one centimeter in the adjuvant setting? DR BURSTEIN: The honest answer is that we don’t know whether these women need trastuzumab. We do need to be respectful of the fact that these women have a better prognosis because their tumors are so small. Certainly for women whose tumors are ER-positive and less than one centimeter, I’ve not offered trastuzumab.

For patients with ER-negative disease, I suppose one could consider trastuzumab, though the quantifiable gains from adding this agent are not known. It would be interesting to conduct a study evaluating trastuzumab with or without chemotherapy in patients with very small tumors. Maybe we can begin to eliminate chemotherapy for the lower-risk patient population if we can alter the natural history of their disease.

Last edited by RobinP; 06-01-2006 at 07:52 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote