HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
heblaj01

Striking (but anecdotal) case reports

Over time I picked up case reports of alternative treatments showing unusual success for various desperate cases .
Since these reports are always anecdotal cases they usually are dismissed by most MD's. Some of them would however say that the first anecdotal successful treatment for a desperate condition is meaningful.
Anyway, when running out of conventional therapies or when unable or unwilling to tolerate them these alternative treatments (if they are at least backed by some valid preclinical testing) may be worth investigating.

1.High dose curcumin (2x4g daily) for multiple myeloma
http://grouppekurosawa.com/blog/2006/03/multiple-myeloma-update.htm
There is a lot of serious research on curcumin for breast & prostate in
particular at the MD Anderson Cancer Center where a clinical trial is
underway.
2. Intravenous Alpha Lipoic Acid/Low Dose Naltrexone for Pancreatic with Liver Mets
http://ict.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/5/1/83.pdf
Some MD's have prescribed off label use of low dose naltrexone for
various cancers.
3. High dose omega-3 fish oils for lung cancer
http://www.cabnr.unr.edu/cabnr/newsl...nandcancer.pdf
I talked to an MD who himself has been conventionaly treated for lung cancer.
He dismissed the report. I was impressed by the fact that increasing dosing resulted in better efficacy. In clinical trials dose dependant activity is a good marker for effectiveness.
There is a lot of lab studies on EPA/DHA for various cancers including
breast.(For more info search google for papers by W.A. Hardman).
I have a relative with breast cancer who appears to have benefited from lower doses (3-5g) in reducing significantly the size of 3 axillary lymph nodes (to less than 0.5cm from 1.5cm) & the inflamation around the primary tumour whose size has remained unchanged for a year. I feel pretty sure about the nodes, less so about the primary tumour since other factors may have contributed to keep its size stable.
If these observations reflect the activity of the fish oil it would mimic the outcomes of similar treatments with mice.
4. Intravenous high dose vitamin C : three case reports
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/174/7/937
There was recent recognition by NCI of the possible potential of vitamin C.
A clinical trial is underway at McGill University.
I acquainted an 80 year old man who has kept melonema in check for
over 20 years with oral high doses.
5.Pancreatic Cancer /metastatic Liver: Alpha lipoic acid+Naltrexone
http://ict.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/5/1/83
The Long-term Survival of a Patient With Pancreatic Cancer With Metastases to the Liver After Treatment With the Intravenous
-Lipoic Acid/Low-Dose Naltrexone Protocol
Burton M. Berkson Integrative Medical Center of New Mexico and New Mexico State University, Las Cruces

Daniel M. Rubin Scottsdale, Arizona, rubin@rubinmedical.com

Arthur J. Berkson

Department of Family Practice, University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois Masonic Medical Center, and the Department of Family Practice, Advocate Health Center, Chicago, Illinois

The authors describe the long-term survival of a patient with pancreatic cancer without any toxic adverse effects. The treatment regimen includes the intravenous-lipoic acid and low-dose naltrexone (ALA-N) protocol and a healthy lifestyle program. The patient was told by a reputable university oncology center in October 2002 that there was little hope for his survival. Today, January 2006, however, he is back at work, free from symptoms, and without appreciable progression of his malignancy. The integrative protocol described in this article may have the possibility of extending the life of a patient who would be customarily considered to be terminal. The authors believe that life scientists will one day develop a cure for metastatic pancreatic cancer, perhaps via gene therapy or another biological platform. But until such protocols come to market, the ALA-N protocol should be studied and considered, given its lack of toxicity at levels reported. Several other patients are on this treatment protocol and appear to be doing well at this time

I wonder if anyone else has tried one of the above treatments?
Or tried a new version of the artemisinin pills with sodium butyrate?
(see http://www.herbological.com/herblog/?p=61)

Last edited by heblaj01; 07-11-2006 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: corruped web address, adding 5th anecdotal treatment Poor Boldfacing.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
R.B.

I am reading Smart Fats by M Schmidt which I would recommend.

I have read for a lay person quite a lot on fats, and it generally is simply not realised how powerful they are.

It is not a simple subject but fro anybody looking fro adjuncts othere option I would highly recommend reading up on the subject. There are posts on this site, several books including "Cracking the metabolic code", "inflamation the Zone diet" "Dr Gaynors Cancer Prevention Program" which deal to some degree with the issue, and the related subject of diet - getting the gut and digestive system working properly - the impact of trans fats - the impact of sugar on fatty acid pathways......

Lipoic acid feature in fat metabolism (Per Dr Gaynors Cancer Prevention Program) - so its back to fats.

Vit c - I have not really looked at this. Obviously lots of whole food fruit and veg etc must be good, but it is hard to separate out where the benifits come from in terms of dietary improvement where the food is a multiple agent only one small factor of which is vit C. We proably have access to much higher levels of vit C sources than our ancestors, yet BC continues to rise. My money based on quite a bit of reading is on the huge imbalances in omega three six, with the addition of high sugars (both natural and refined), and transfats as the key factors. (with poor diet leading to digestive problems etc.)

Curcumin is an anti-inflamatory. Omega six in excess is inflamatory.

Anti-inflamatories have been shown to reduce BC risk.

Food for thought

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
heblaj01

Update on vitamin C trial

In the first post of this thread, I mentioned a trial of intravenous vitamin C for cancer patients.
There is further info available in print form for the general public (I could not find it on the web) emanating from the Lady Davis Institute for Medical research in Montreal, Canada.
The study is under the direction of Dr John Hoffer who I believe is the son of Dr Abram Hoffer (still alive) who used to be a research collaborator of Nobel prize winner Dr Linus Pauling.
Dr John Hoffer is not an onc; he is a professor of medicine at McGill University & a physician in internal medicine & endocronology.
The study (a phase I trial) will last several years on advanced cancer patients who have exhausted all approved treatments but are mobile & functional.
The dosage will be 40 to 60 mg of vitamin C over 90 minute IV's, three times a week.
Toxicity is a prime end point of the study but signs of efficacy will be monitored & for those responding the treatment will go on indefinitely.
A second phase of the study will later be undertaken.
While he noted the skepticism of many in the medical community about the efficacy of vitamin C for advanced cancer (mostly based on experience with oral intake as opposed to I.V.) he feels hopefull that it will help some patients.

I hope that some will respond in spite of the advanced status of the disease so that possible beneficial effects for a larger population of patients at an earlier stage are not deprived of an option for lack of research resulting from a failure of the current study
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
AlaskaAngel

perspectives on bc

I have hope that those with training and experience in the field of endocrinology will make a difference with bc. Thanks for mentioning Dr. Hoffer's background.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
heblaj01

The call for volonteers to participate in the first part of the study of high dose intravenous vitamin C has started to appear in the local press of Montreal.
Breast cancer patients are not admissible in this study. It is restricted to lymphoma, or sarcoma or bladder or kidney cancer patients "that failed to respond, or is inappropriate for standard therapies".
Since this is a single site trial & in view of the required presence 3 times a week for the 90 minute IV's,only local residents will find it practical to participate.
Just in case this might nevertheless interest someone here is the place to call:

Dr. L.J. Hoffer MD,PhD
514-340-8222 extension 4572