HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
micheleu

breast reconstruction question

I'm almost 7 years out and had a lumpectomy. I'm just now thinking about reconstruction. Was wondering what my options are. I'm wanting some fat taken from my stomach and fill in my breast. Is that even a option?? Do they have to take muscle with it? I'm sick of sewing a breast form into my bathing suit and hoping it doesn't fall out!! Worrying about what the surgery might to do my lymphedema. Would love all your opinions!

Dx.2003 Stage 3b 35 pos nodes

Dx August 2003 Stage 3B with 35/35 nodes IDC age 39
Lumpectomy
A/C x4 Taxol x12
35 radiation tx
1Year Herceptin in trial
HER2 vaccine trial Seattle
3 months Tykerb off label
NED

micheleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
linda b

Re: breast reconstruction question

I had a bi-lateral mastectomy in Feb 2007, and reconstructive surgery in June 2008. I had the fat taken from my stomach for both breasts - no muscle was taken. I spent 4 days in the hospital, to make sure that the blood was flowing through the new breasts. I'm a teacher, so had the summer to recover, the doctor said that usually he requires 6 weeks off work.
I haven't had many problems with lymphedema, mostly just when it's really humid out, so didn't notice any big change after the reconstruction.
I've been really happy with the change, no more having to stuff swim suits or bras. I haven't had any problems with the surgery or afterwards.
started Herceptin 4/07
radiation to lower back 8/07
reconstructive surgery 6/08
off herceptin 5/09
radiation to neck 8/09
hysterectomy 9/09
started Arimidex 10/09
off Arimidex, started Femara 3/10
linda b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Jaimieh

Call the center for restorative breast surgery and even if you just consult with them you will know what your options are .
no angiolympathic invasion

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09
Exchange scheduled for 6/17/09
Lost implants due to unknown reason :(

Hip Flap 1/26/2010 in NOLA :) LOVE EM'

TCH x6 (6 done and I am hoping to never do it again )

Well so much for never...
Local recurrence May 25,2014 is left over breast tissue.
April 2 , 2014 lumpectomy
April 28, 2014- June 9, 2014 start AC x 4
Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
And 33 rads just for fun. NOT!!!
Jaimieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
schoolteacher

Michele,

Glad to see you post. It gives me Hope seeing someone seven years out.

I hope to hear the results of my participation in the vaccine trial soon.

I've thought about reconstruction, so it will be interesting to see what others post.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
kklouisiana

I am just beginning my chemo and after six months my PS is going to give me the brava bra to wear for 3 weeks then he will inject the fat from my thighs and any other areas into the loosened skin to make my breasts. after just three visits, he will be through. this is not surgery, but a outpatient procedure. It is fairly new and can be googled "brava bra" reconstruction.
kklouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Margerie

Michelle, I had the muscle-sparing flap procedure, it is called DIEP. I have three other friends who had the same (bilateral). So far, none of us have any lymphedema problems (it has been almost 4 years for me). One of the gals had some issues before her surgery, but they did not get any worse.

A fellow survivor/DIEP gal helped start up this great website with tons of info about all kinds of recon:

www.breastreconstruction.org

Good luck!

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Ellie F

Hi Michelle
Was wondering how your lymphoedema is doing? I remember a while ago you were having a lot of trouble with it and considering options.
Best wishes
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
micheleu

Ellie,
it is stable. It is very minimal when see others how bad theirs is. I just hate May because it causes it to feel so big and puffy!

Dx.2003 Stage 3b 35 pos nodes

Dx August 2003 Stage 3B with 35/35 nodes IDC age 39
Lumpectomy
A/C x4 Taxol x12
35 radiation tx
1Year Herceptin in trial
HER2 vaccine trial Seattle
3 months Tykerb off label
NED

micheleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
sherri

Hi Michele,
I don't know if you remember me, we met in SanDiego once. What I receommend to contact The Breast Center in LA, they are very good and they give you the best information. Also if you want to go for this kind of reconstruction, you want to deal with the best, otherwise it could be a nightmare.
I'm glad you are doing so well, I passed my 5 years and so far so good.
Take care,
Sherri
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
harrie

Michele, I had a bilat mastectomy with DIEP done at the same time. Everything turned out really well. My plastic surgeon did did an awesome job. He is in So CA in the Torrance area if you are interested. Feel free to email me if you would like more info.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
WolverineFan

Hi Michele,

First off, I LOVE your family picture!! Secondly, I had a single mastectomy a year ago, and have tried two implants, both silicone and saline, with no luck. My plastic surgeon told me to take the summer off, and we will discuss options after that. I think the flaps are a much better route than implants if your doctor agrees you are a good candidate for such. Mine did not, but I plan to get a second opinion before doing anything else.

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Jean

Micheleu -
I am so happy to hear you are 7 yrs. NED...that is wonderful. Do you have any information to share on the vaccine you took. (such as trial informaiton with numbers of women who had the vaccine) any updates on it or stats released yet? Or do you know when the data will be released. I saw your recent post under the new vaccine break through and thought your post to it was so encouraging for all.

And as Wolverinefan said, your family photo is just beautiful! So is Wolverinefan and her family.

Congratualtions to both of you on remaining NED.
God Bless,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
alicem

Michele,

I also had the DIEP procedure for my breast reconstruction. I did not want an implant and did not want to lose any muscle. The DIEP was the only answer for me. The biggest thing about this surgery is that you MUST go to a surgeon who has done more than 100 of these surgeries and has a very high success rate. It does involve microsurgery, but if you have an experienced surgeon, that is not a problem.

I live in Austin, but chose to go to Houston for my surgery. Dr. Spiegel has done at least 700 of these procedures over the last 8 years. It is all she does, and she is a perfectionist . . . and WONDERFUL!!! Here is the link to her website. There is a great photo album of before and after pictures of all different scenarios . . .

http://www.breastrestoration.org/

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
Soccermom

Hi Michelle,
I waited 2 1/2 years to reconstruct and opted for muscle sparing stacked DIEP flap.very very happy with results and if you'd like to chat about your options PM me.
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Jackie07

Just saw this on the LBBC page. Thought I'd tag it on this thread.

Breast Reconstruction: Understanding Your Options

Register now for our next free teleconference, Breast Reconstruction: Understanding Your Options, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on Wednesday, July 28. Learn more.

Karen M. Horton, MD, MSc, FRCSC, a board certified plastic surgeon with Women’s Plastic Surgery, will help you learn about:
  • Different types of reconstructive surgeries
  • The latest research in rebuilding the breast
  • How to determine the option that is best for you
  • Microsurgery, nipple reconstruction and immediate versus delayed surgery
  • The stages of the reconstruction process
  • What to expect during your recovery
This teleconference will also discuss questions to help you explore whether you want to consider reconstructive surgery.

You may also be interested in Breast Reconstruction: Options, Expectations and Alternatives.

Managing Fear of Recurrence Podcast and Brochure

What If? Managing the Fears of Breast Cancer Recurrence with Sage Bolte, PhD, LCSW, OSW-C. Concerns and anxiety about breast cancer coming back is something many women cope with after completing initial treatment. Find out about common fears, and learn about effective strategies that can help you take control of your thoughts and manage your emotions. Dr. Bolte also discusses useful resources for getting support and professional help when needed.
LBBC’s Guide to Understanding Fear of Recurrence. This new, free brochure will help you understand the common fear that cancer may return. You will learn how your personality, life situation, social support and diagnosis could impact your fears and how occasions and non-occasions might trigger worries. Get tips for transitioning into life after treatment and moving forward years after your diagnosis. View practical resources to help you cope and find support.
You may also be interested in our Fear of Recurrence blog series.

Linda’s Story: Taking a Vacation from Your Cancer
“As summer begins, many of you are thinking about going on vacation. For years my husband and I worked hard and saved money. We planned that after our children left home and we retired, we could travel, which we love to do. Wouldn’t you know that just when we started phasing into retirement I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s hard to get away when surgery, radiation and chemotherapy interfere!
But travel we did.”
Read the rest of Linda’s story on our blog.
Save the Date!
Mark your calendars now for the 11th Annual Conference for Young Women Affected by Breast Cancerto be held Friday, February 25 – Sunday, February 27, 2011, at the Peabody Orlando Hotel in Orlando, Florida.
A joint effort by Living Beyond Breast Cancer and Young Survival Coalition, this event is the only international educational conference focused on the needs of young women affected by breast cancer. The weekend will feature the latest educational information and meeting opportunities for you and your caregivers.
Visit youngsurvivorsconference.org often for updates on conference speakers, workshop topics, registration and travel grants. Click here to view pictures from this year’s conference.
Help us celebrate 11 years of successful conferences for young women! Save the date now.

Warmly,
Jean
Jean A. Sachs, MSS, MLSP
LBBC Chief Executive Officer
Toll-free Survivors’ Helpline: (888) 753-LBBC (5222)
354 West Lancaster Ave, Suite 224
Haverford, PA 19041
(610) 645-4567

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote