HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Heart Sutra

Hi Susan,

I'm taking 10mg and I am starting to feel more myself. I've also been trying to get up and shower right away. I find if I sit at the computer or lay around in the morning my mood is much worse and by the time I know it the day is half gone.
I understand what you're saying regarding the lyme though. I had it two years ago. Was very sick. I'm sure the combo of all your problems has a lot to do with the depression. How long have you been taking the Lexapro. This is 3 weeks for me and I'm really feeling better just this past week.

Dx'd 10/06 IDC grade III/III
Er- pr- HER2 3+
MRM right breast 12/5/06
nodes negative
same day reconstruction started
(implants)
Stage II (2.2 cm tumor)
fairly extensive DCIS
Ct and Bone scans clean
Port placement 12/26/06
AC (4 cycles DD)to begin 1/2/07
Taxol/Taxotere (4 cycles DD)
Herceptin for one year

"There is no distinction between the one who gives, the one who receives, and the gift itself."- Hahn
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Susan M(PA)

Hi Sue,
Thanks for replying to my question about the Lexapro.
I'm also just starting to see some better days from it,
and it's been 5 mg daily since 7/6/07, so I'm just at two weeks.
I had Herceptin yesterday and expected to feel worse
today, but not too bad. I notice I have less of the
negative intrusive thoughts and more focus. Maybe
fewer night sweats, and better sleep.
I tried the 10 mg, but felt a little agitated, may split
the 10 if I need to later.

Glad you beat the Lyme! I still do a little Lyme support work
so if you ever have a question, be glad to help.
I've co-directed a Lyme support groups for several years,
and also participated in awareness, education, and activism.
So strange to be so connected in one health area, and a
fish out of water in another. Two totally different
worlds of medicine, without any connection.
Doesn't help the mental state!
Please keep in touch!

Susan
Susan M(PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
R.B.

Depression and herceptin.

HI everybody. This is a very useful thread as it is highlighting what might be another side effect of Herceptin. I am sorry for what you are going through. I have been reading about omega three and six for almost two years now. It is obviously important to have a reasonable varied diet too etc see "Greek Diet" post.

Long chain omega threes (EPA DHA) and depression.

Herceptin by one of its mechanisms works in the fats pathways. I have asked does herceptin block the ability to make long chain fats. I dont know and searches about a year ago did not produce any answers.

Your brain is more than 60% made of fat. The cell walls are made of fat. Fat is the primary building material of the brain. Substandard or wrong building materials = less effective brain. At the most basic level it is that simple.

Your brain needs DHA to function properly. There are a number of trials linking lack of DHA to various forms of diminished neurological function including depression, bi polar disorder etc.

Omega threes reduce the BC risk profile - so inversly BC is assocaited with low omega three as is depression.

There is lots on the NCBI site and you will find quite a few posts on this site using the search above.

Smart Fats M Schmidt, or his newer book are almost compulsory reading. You can find them on Amazon, bookfinder, etc. This is the UK link. S/H is cheaper if an issue.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Buildi...796776&sr=1-27

Finally (and the "shout" is deliberate)

OMEGA THREES CAN ONLY BE GOT FROM DIET.

IF YOU DONT EAT IT YOU AINT GOT IT.

IF YOUR CONVERSION PATHWAYS FOR LONG CHAIN FATS ARE BLOCKED THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN GET THEM IS FOOD.
(prime source oily fish of fish oil or veggy supplements. 2 grams a day of DHA is reported in a trial in women as the level at which uptake of DHA drops off.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT LONG CHAIN FATS PARTICULARLY OMEGA THREES YOUR BODY CANNOT WORK PROPERLY. IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

Please talk to your doctor about dietary change. Fish oil thins blood and may have side effects for a very few.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
MarieJZ

to susan and rentrac

dear rentrac thanks so much for your contribution, i especially like your "battlefield " take on depression. if anybody got hold of the PDR or the manufacturer's package insert for herceptin, she may have noticed under adverse effects "mania" which is a psychiatric "mood" disorder. granted those with a predisposition would be the most vulnerable, and that we all here are on the battlefield, it's not too supprising that depression is an issue. this support group is kitchen table to so many,as well as a resource.
MarieJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Susan!
I hope you find a good solution for your depression. I do know that the herceptin can make us feel depressed, but I had a goofy experience with antidepresants years ago and just would prefer to "walk it off". My dogs take me for at least one long walk a day! When needed, two or even three! Not sure why the walking works better for me but it does! My little mother in-law has taught me to walk in Walmart when bad weather prevents other walking. I have gone several times at 5:30 in the morning when I waked and just knew I needed some "mood therapy"! But, I do know that we are all so different. I hope you find just the right thing very soon.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote