HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
Patty H

update on nausea

My cure for nausea which was vomiting didn't work well. I ended up in the hospital. Zofran is what they give me in my IV with steroids before chemo and in the hospital. I ask my Dr. if it came in pill form so I could take it at home. He said yes but it usually only works for the first couple of days after chemo. He gave me a prescription for it and on the way home from the hospital I dropped it off to be filled. When I went to get it, they said it hadn't been pre- approved by my insurance. So I have to call back to day to see if I can have it. I have never heard of such thing. I know my insurance was changing but of all meds to with-hold, my nausea ones? The Dr. had suggested I stay another night at the hospital but since we had talked about this being the day I would come home, I just couldn't seem to change horses in mid- stream. But I know he was right because I feel nausea again. The nurses keep telling me I shouldn't be nausea now. My last chemo was a week ago today. I guess my body just didn't get the message. My body might not recognize cancer but it sure recognizes poison and wants it out whether with vomiting or diarrhea. So for now I am using the suppository compazine, waiting to see if I get the zofran. I did write down the ones some of you suggested that I haven't tried yet to ask about. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
Shell

Patty-

I hope zofran gets approved for you quickly. It seems so unfair - my insurance paid for Zofran, but I never needed it....

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
chrisy

Patty,

Sorry to hear you have not licked the nausea problem yet. Keep on your pharmacy/insurance company about the Zofran. It is an expensive medication, my insurance co would only give me 9 without further authorization...
Good luck.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Colleen007

Patty,

My insurance also only approved 9 at a time (3 days worth), but I didn't need it longer than that. You might also want to ask the doctor's office if they have any free samples that the pharmaceutical reps sometimes give them. They should be able to do something to hold you over until the insurance approval comes through.

Colleen
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote