HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Joannie

Toenail issues while on Tykerb

Just wondering if anyone on Tykerb is having any toenail issues....Since August, I've been battling what my dr. thinks is an "ingrown" toenail. I've been on and off antibiotics to try to keep the infection down. She was going to cut the nail off last time I was in, but I put her off one more time in the hopes that I can massage the skin away from the toe. I'm now wondering if it really is an ingrown toenail. Could Tykerb have anything to do with this. Even though it appears to me that the nail is not growing into the side of my skin, it still remains red and when not on antibiotics, it gets pussy. Any ideas/suggestions before I take the last resort of cutting this toenail off, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
4 Rounds of AC - dose dense
4 Rounds of Taxol - dose dense
Removed right breast prophalactically
Full reconstruction with implants/nipples
No Late Herceptin Received
Started Tykerb TEACH Trial in May 2007
Completed Tykerb TEACH Trial in May 2008
5 year NED August 27, 2008!!!
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Verna

Joannie,
Yes, I'm having the same problem. I havn't thought much about it being Tykerb, but it's happening to both my big toes. I just keep cutting the nails short and keep digging out the in grown nail on the sides. It hurts, but seems to give relief. Also, my fingernails are so brittle and thin like paper, they keep splitting all the way down to the nail bed. I just started taking 5 milligram of Biotin daily. I've heard from others this will help your nails & hair. And, I've always had great nails so go figure.
Hope this helps.
Verna
Verna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
hutchibk

Yes! That is the only side effect I get. I have been on Tykerb/Xeloda since May as well. It feels like the worst ingrown toenails of all time! But, it is actually hand/foot syndrome. For me the fix prescribed by my cancer nutritionist, which has been pretty much miraculous, is vitamin B6 (not B Complex... you need to avoid the folic acid in B Complex. It causes worsened side effects). When I get lazy and don't take the B6, it flares up bigtime, and when I take the B6, it clears up in 24-48 hours. I take 50 mg 2 to 3 x a day with each meal... so I have learned to take my B6 religiously. (Tykerb and/or Xeloda leak out through the tiny capillaries in the feet and irritate the surrounding tissue, especially where there is any pressure on the skin, i.e. a toenail edge...The B6 heals the irritated tissue in the nail bed.)

Try it and see if it helps! I hope so. Good luck! I also use a great dry/cracking foot healing potion called Brave Soldier Friction Zone. I put it on at night and wear socks to sleep in.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Soccermom

Tea tree oil helped me tremendously with the exact same issue! Mine was during my year on Herceptin.
Hugs,Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 11-01-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: added information
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
doh2pa
Deceased

I've had the same issue with my big toe nails (and crappy nails in general) and it got so really painful that I went to a podiatrist. He cut the nail surgically and it has healed beautifully and I am pain free. The worst part was getting needles in the big toe to numb it up, but with the relief I have gotten was well worth it. You might want to consider this. They can cauterize the nail so it does not grow pack in that painful spot.
Mastectomy 4/04 - 4 rounds AC
9/05 - mets to liver treated with carbo/ixabipelone/herceptin
3/06 - complete remission
9/06 - new liver mets, starting Taxotere/Herceptin
1/07 -Liver mets stable, staying on Herceptin
5/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting T/X
12/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting weekly Navilbene/Herceptin
4/08 - Liver progression - started Abraxane, Carbo, Tykerb and Herceptin
7/08 - Liver Progression - started Gemzar, Avastin and Tykerb
10/08 - Liver progression - starting Doxil
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
MichelleH

Post Me too!

I suffer from this as well. What I find to clear it up is soaking the foot/feet in epsom salt water (3-7days-2xs daily). If your feet are dry and/or peeling I suggest using an eye dropper to apply the epsom salt water to the toes so you don't dry out the bottoms of your feet. And keep the toe dry, keep lotions away from the area!
Hopes this helps, good luck.
Love,
Michelle
25 rads
Dec 2006- recurrence Stage IV (diagnosed 3 days before Christmas!) Lymph nodes in chest, liver, 3 ribs
January 2007- 3 tri wkly rounds of Taxol/Herceptin
Response to lymph nodes in chest, but several more bone mets (skull, shoulders, more ribs, femur, several on spine), liver tumors still growing.
March 2007- 8 wkly rounds of Navelbine/Herceptin/ every 4th wk Zometa
Lymph nodes in chest look great, but more bone mets (of course!), Clavicles, hips, and sacrum (above tail bone) to add to the list. Liver mets still growing.
June 5- started Tykerb/Xeloda

Aug 14- Scans are showing great progress! Tumor shrinkage and bones are healing!

Nov 21 CT scan shows tumor growth in liver & bones next Doc appt on 11-27

Dire need of a lot of prayers and a miracle.
Stay at home mom, 5 yr old girl & 8 yr old boy.
Wife of loving husband
MichelleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
hutchibk

Oh, I haven't done it, but soaking feet in a warm vinegar water solution is also supposed to do wonders!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
weezie1053

Smile

I finished Taxol in Feb, and I'm still fighting the battle of the big toe nail. I had problems with both fingernails and toenails. As my Oncologist once said, I'm a textbook for side affects...but it was a small price to pay for being healthy now. Fingernails look pretty good with the exception of one which is still half white, but I cover with nail polish. Big toe is a booger, and it is taking its time growing back and healing correctly. Had problems with warts on the soles of my feet which the podiatrist said came, most likely, from a weakened immune system. Had laser surgery, and he prescribed a lotion which now keeps my scaley feet smooth. If you ask, you will find a solution for most anything. I also didn't listen and had manicures and pedicures while on chemo. Hope other newbies don't make that same mistake. I'll never know if some of my problems came from the manicures and pedicures, but they probably aggravated some of my hoof problems. As my Daddy use to say, "they who do not listen, have to feel."

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
hutchibk

I think I would like your daddy, Louise! LOL.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Becca

Joannie, I have had the same issues with both toe and fingernails--inflamed, infected. It would start to clear up, then come back. I have tried various treatments. My onco took me off the Xeloda for 2 weeks to heal the nails. Just recently an inflamed toenail just painlessly lifted off. They are all more normal now, but I am to start back on the Xeloda tomorrow--so it may start again. My onco suggested applying Purell to the nails several time a day, plus the B6 (which I have used all along). Hope the various suggestions given in these posts help you. Let us know how you are doing.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Georgia girl

This has been the worst part of Tykerb for me. I am only on Tykerb and this problem can really be a pain - especially when trying to find shoes that won't hurt! I use neosporin and a very well padded bandaid and that seems to help the pain, but the redness never goes away. Oh, well - things could be much worse!
Georgia girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
hutchibk

I still swear by my 50 mg of B6 twice a day. When I don't take it, my toenails get baaad. When I (remember) to take it, they clear up and heal very quickly.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
Joannie

Toenail still not healing

Well, after taking antibiotics off and on since the end of August, the skin around my toenail is really not healing. It still remains very sore and red. I went in for my 3 months check-in with the TEACH Trial onc. last week and mentioned this to him, wondering if it could be Tykerb causing the problem. After much discussion, and hearing about how he had an ingrown toenail in college, he said it was a very low chance it was coming from the drug. He thought if it was caused by Tykerb that it would be on both toes, or at least more than one toe. At any rate, I asked him about using B6. He said it was OK, but he didn't think it would help. I have been on B6 for over a week and have had no improvement. I have soaked in hot water and tried to massage toe skin away from the toe....no improvement. The onc. suggested I probably go ahead and have part of the nail removed. I have an appt. next Monday to have that done, reluctantly! Since I've been on antibiotics for so long, I'm now experiencing yeast infection!
So for you ladies who have had the nail partially removed, how painful is it? I really don't want to do this but it just doesn't seem to be getting any better. He also suggested that I have the nail fixed in a way that it doesn't grow back into the skin. Somehow they can deaden the nail bed.
Thanks for all of your information.
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Becca

Joannie, I posted earlier about what I am trying and so far it IS helping. I rub Purell (or any sanitizer) around the nails 2-3 times day, take B-6, asked my onc if I could take some V-C (he said yes), and now soak both toenails and fingernails twice a day for just a few minutes with 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water. Also I try to Keep the Nails Dry. Use a hairdryer after handwashing, use the blow dryers in restrooms,etc. (Before I was coating them with triple antibotic ointment all the time which kept them moist--I no longer do that.)(Also I was soaking them in hot water and that did not help.)

I had 2 toenails, and 3 fingernails that were in BAD shape--pus oozing from both sides, swollen and inflamed. Now they are looking almost normal. Perhaps something I am doing might help you with your toenail (if it is from the chemo). You still have a few days before Mon--try what I am doing and see if it helps any. If it does, perhaps you can save the nail, if it doesn't help then it may be an ingrown nail like the onc thinks.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Joannie

Unhappy

Thanks Becka:
I'll give that a try. My husband was kidding around a few minutes ago and stepped on my toe, very hard! It sent me to tears. It's now oozing puss and it hurts like *()*)&*&^*^^%!!!
Hope this works. I'll see what happens before Monday!
Thanks for the tips.
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #16
Joannie

Toenail

Ladies:
Thanks for all of your advice. I tried all of them and combinations of them, to no avail. The toe is just not going to heal! I went to my dr. yesterday and she did a partial removal. Ugh....5 shots to the big toe later, I came hobbling home. Hopefully, it will heal and this will be the end of it. Not sure if the Tykerb had anything to do with it, but had to get it taken care of. Been on antiobiotics since Aug.
Take care,
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
Becca

Joannie, sure hope that takes care of your big toe problem. It's not easy to know how to handle the side effects to the Tykerb, and perhaps your toe problem is unrelated. Let us know how it heals up. Becca