HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Lolly

Metronomic Chemotherapy Thought to Induce Antiangiogenesis

Low-dose (metronomic)* oral methotrexate and cyclophosphamide in metastatic breast cancer: antitumor activity and correlation with vascular endothelial growth factor levels

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...t/full/13/1/73

*metronomic added by me for clarification

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Jeanette

Talking Metronomic

Lolly, I do not know what the hell metronomic is, i just wanted to say what a really nice pic this is of you, Hugs,Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Lani

Lolly this is one of the things I suggested to Tom

when he thought his mother had had a recurrence when a PET scan lit up in multiple places. I informed him they might not be mets, and assured him that even if they were, that they had been testing very low doses of these chemos given up to daily in the elderly, with the work being done in Italy and Canada.

If you put a search on metronomic chemotherapy you might even find some of the articles (I think I have posted several) unless the crash of the website "ate" them up!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Lolly

Thanks Lani! I don't know how I missed those posts, but they're still accessible; good stuff, I'm printing a couple out to take to my onc.

Jeanette, thank you. We stayed at a swanky hotel right on the beach,on the Oregon Coast, for our anniversary; it was so fogged in when we checked in we couldn't even see the ocean! The next morning was beautiful, and we had a great walk on the beach which is when my hubby took this picture.
BTW, metronomic means at a steady rate. In the case of chemo, it usually means daily doses with no break. My onc used this when I was on Xeloda for over a year. I was on a very low dose, 500mg twice daily, and it gave me a partial response and then stable disease for many months.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote