HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #41
'lizbeth

Re: The Pink-tober Madness begins!

I was looking at the charities and some CEO make $650,000 when another makes $113,000. Some have huge amounts that go into fundraising - my local Relay for Life paid over 10% of donations, about $25,000.

Some of the Pink products is a scam, some limit the contribution to the first 500 sold, etc.

I used to like pink, but now I roll my eyes at the fuss.

As a former accounting manager - I want us all to get the most bang for our donation. I'm asking how much really goes to research? More importantly I've been nosing around looking to see: What is the research being supported?

If anyone has seen a listing of the different research supported by the breast cancer charities, I would like to see it.

NEDenise, I had posted a link to a government program in the US that showed how women can get free mammograms. So if you know of anyone who is procrastinating because of cost, I can look for that agency again.

This is why I feel the Pinks are failing in their message. Where are the tv or internet ads that say You Need a Mammogram, and here is how to get one. Nope, I only see the fundraising ads.

With many of you stage IV survivors going from treatment to treatment, I'd like to see more bang for the buck with cancer donations. Was it Revlon that funded Herceptin on behalf of Slamon? Now that was a good return on investment.

We are all in agreement. A cure needs to be found.

I'll let you all enjoy the pink - I'm sticking to blue!
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #42
'lizbeth

On CharityWatch the top cancer charities are"

A- Breast Cancer Fund
A+ Breast Cancer Research Foundation
A Cancer Care
A Cancer Research Institute
A- CureSearch
A Entertainment Industry Foundation/Standup to Cancer
B+ Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
A- Livestrong
A Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
A+ Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
A National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund
B+ Prevent Cancer Foundation
A- Prostate Cancer Foundation

I was looking at the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. They are very good at posting research they support. AND . . . they have a list of their Shop Pink partners. So you can go online and see which companies are supporting research. They say the pink has raised over $450 million since 1993. Holy Cow that is a lot of money!

http://www.bcrfcure.org/part_pinkprod.html

If you go to the Research in Action tab and scroll down - there is a significant amount of information about research supported, including the support of Herceptin.

http://www.bcrfcure.org/action_accomplishments.html

Thanks to BCRF the color pink is starting to grow on me . . .

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 09-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #43
'lizbeth

http://charitywatch.org/hottopics/Top25.html

and if you are curious like me . . . how much are folks being compensated to run these charities?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
NEDenise

Hey!
Coincidentally, while I was out shopping today, I saw a pink product that said the money raised went "toward finding a cure".
And, the money was slated for none other than the Breast Cancer Research Foundation!!

I also found pink ribbon car magnets boldly emblazoned with "Find the CURE".
I got mine at a store, but when I asked the manager if they had any more he admitted they came from Oriental Trading Company...
so I'm going online to order at least a dozen!!
That way, when mine fades, I'll have a new one waiting in the wings!
I think I might even get a few to hand out at my treatment center!

Denise
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
LeahM

'lizbeth I have been on that website all freaking day!! Thank you for all this great info. I am shocked at the ACS grade, I expected more from them. I know last year our local ACS making strides events gave $25,000 to both my hospital and Hershey Med. for mammogram funding..thats $50,000 total...but I don't know how much they raised. I was told 80% stayed local (which makes me happy) but I wonder where the other 20% went.
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #46
LeahM

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking at the word "aware" in a whole new way these days...this is something I wrote recently that pretty much sums up my recent thought process.

So, are you aware yet? Perhaps you are one of those people who think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Well guess what folks? I live on the other side of the fence and I have got to say, my grass is not all that green. And there are weeds, lots of weeds, weeds that cut open the bottom of my feet!
So…here is something to be aware of as we enter Pink-tober; Pink-tober is all about celebrating women like me. “Survivors”, although, I prefer the term “Warrior Princess Extraordinaire” (sounds better, doesn’t it?) Yep, women like me who have beaten the odds…although, not really as the odds were in my favor. Yeah, I’m a freaking warrior princess extraordinaire….whatever….
Open your eyes!! Look around! See that lady over there that can’t seem to make up her mind between 2% and fat free milk? See that guy who just ran a red light? That person just got a Stage 4 diagnosis. Maybe they were diagnosed at Stage 4 from the get-go, or maybe, just maybe, their Stage 2 morphed to Stage 4 even tho they did everything they were suppose to do to become a “survivor”. Be aware folks that there isn’t a Stage 5.
All of us “survivors”? We are not “survivors”, we are merely still alive. And when something other than cancer kills us…well, then (and only then) can you call us “survivors”.
When you walk in cancerland you make cancer friends. And some of those friends are Stage 4. So when someone tells me how brave I am, how strong I am; all I can think is you should meet my friend “Wanda”. Wanda was Stage 4 from diagnosis. Wanda is strong. And tough. And brave. And full of life and love.
Write a story about Wanda and her struggles. Interview Wanda. MAKE PEOPLE AWARE THAT CANCER IS DEADLY!! Over 500,000 people died of cancer in 2012, are you aware of that? But Wanda isn’t a pretty picture (actually Wanda is beautiful)…Wanda has Stage 4 cancer and who wants to think about that? When newly diagnosed with cancer all you want to hear about is the success stories; you don’t want to know the horror stories, you don’t want to be aware, truly aware, of what could be your fate.
So then you are UNAWARE, which is worse than being aware.
You can’t control how you die; you can only control how you live. More people should be like my dear friend Wanda. AWARE that life is precious. AWARE that love is meant to be given to everyone, everyday. AWARE that you only get one chance at being alive so you must truly be the best that you can be.
And most importantly (in my opinion) you must be AWARE that you are not alone.
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #47
'lizbeth

Leah,

You have a wonderful way with words. I think we all are less than happy about the options for our stage IV friends. Cancer treatment sucks. I raised over $1500 this year for ACS. Next year, I will still support them, but . . . show me results. I'm tired of making wonderful friends just to have them kick the bucket - and because of cancer? Seriously, have we not spent enough? Totally not fair.

NEDenise, don't you dare kick the bucket! Live a long time, and buy lots of pink schuft!

I'm disappointed with ACS. We've got to hold these folks accountable. We're dying over here - get serious about supporting cancer research, hello!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #48
NEDenise

1. Leah, that was terrific! Well said, my friend!
2. 'lizbeth - I truly have no intention of dying anytime soon... but I'm aware that it's not up to me very aware.

Keep up the good work!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
janieR

Here in England I shall be glad when October is over with the madness that goes on over here during this month with the "pink month". Having said that I think I am very lucky to still be here to have a rant about it! Very, very glad!!
janieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #50
'lizbeth

I just got a breast cancer awareness "cartoon" with Maxine and pumpkins. Somehow that is easier to handle in October than Pinkness.

NEDenise - the NED says it all!

I was freaking out over something Larry Norton said about new researchers should go into neuroscience instead of oncology research because Cancer is about to be cured. Oh, Really? Somehow my idea of a cure is very different. No surgery, no radiation, no chemo, and absolutely NO CANCER! Seriously.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #51
NEDenise

Oh Hunny!
I'd do surgery, chemo and radiation all AGAIN if at the end I could be cured!
I'd gladly be permanently bald, give up chocolate, and live only on supplements...
if it would mean no more cancer!

Sadly, my balance is waaaay off over the last few days.
And my hand doesn't just shake a little... now I'm dropping things too.
More swelling?
New lesions?
Something else?

Pushing the dex back up to 5 mg/day... I can feel my face re-inflating.
My life/health seems like a very scary high-wire act lately.

But, I'm wearing my pink shirt today! (not for awareness...
but rather because it makes me look and feel cheerful!)
My car is adorned with my 'Find a Cure" pink ribbon.
And... of course... God and I have had a nice heart to heart chat...
so things could be a lot worse... right!?

Denise
~who is very "aware" that cancer sucks and she can't do a thing to change that
ps- can you post the Maxine cartoon, 'lizbeth?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #52
'lizbeth

Lightbulb Re: The Pink-tober Madness begins!

Ah rats NEDenise . . . this is so totally unfair. You are by far the funniest stage IV cancer survivor I had ever met.

Here is Maxine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breast Cancer Awareness.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1185  

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 10-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #53
NEDenise

Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Thanks for the giggle!

I figure I get to choose whether I laugh or cry...
and laughing is waaaaay more fun! (for me, and for the people around me!)
And I know... cancer HATES laughter!
Denise
Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #54
StephN

Wink Re: The Pink-tober Madness begins!

Hey 'lizbeth -
I like some of those products on the Breast Cancer Research foundation website that are making contributions to that organization.

Some of the companies are donating a fixed amount in the thousands, and others are donating some amount per purchase.

Some items or services are not available here in the misty woods, but others are, and I will buy accordingly!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #55
Saygoon

Lizabeth mentions Sharsheret in the charity list. They really are amazing. I had gotten their number from a friend. A few seconds into the conversation I felt the need to apologize, I was unaware that their main target is Jewish women. The lady I was speaking with said that's ok doesn't matter ( I am Native American) so we shared some great jokes. They have sent me all sorts of wonderful things and their website is a wealth of information. It has been a year now and they still keep up with me.
Herceptin, Zometa, Taxotere and Anasterole and of course radiation
2/14/2014 2 mets on pelvic bone
Stop Anasterole continue on Herceptin and Zometa start radiation (again)
2/24/2014 start T-DM1 continue Herceptin and Zometa
4/28 more radiation that brings total to 5 (10 days ea) - I think I will soon glow in the dark....
6/01/2014 Great news! Rib mets gone, 4 of 5 spine mets showing new bone growth and pelvic mets shrinking.
8/28/2014 T11 on spine is being stubborn started Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa and Taxol - goodbye hair!
9/04/2014 Tomo therapy - pain finally gone
1/3/2015 - starting New Year out as still stable. Feeling positive
2/23/2015 - problems with left leg, bone met flaring up - MORE radiation Whew!
2/24/2015 Stress fracture in right side of pelvic - (great just great) back to wheelchair then walker then.....
2/26/2015 Off Taxol!! Still on Perjeta, Herceptin and Hormone Blocker starting to feel a little more human.
4/10/2015 Cancer has spread to spinal fluid - not sure where I go from here
6/29/2015 Omaya Port placed,begin IT Herceptin on 7/7/2015
Saygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #56
Saygoon

NEDenise - keeping laughing, keep smiling but don't forget you're only human. Sometimes a tear has to fall. When I get really scared I talk to my dogs, they make more sense than most people I know! Oh and I wear my pink cape around town just so people will think Im crazy - thats always good for a laugh.
Herceptin, Zometa, Taxotere and Anasterole and of course radiation
2/14/2014 2 mets on pelvic bone
Stop Anasterole continue on Herceptin and Zometa start radiation (again)
2/24/2014 start T-DM1 continue Herceptin and Zometa
4/28 more radiation that brings total to 5 (10 days ea) - I think I will soon glow in the dark....
6/01/2014 Great news! Rib mets gone, 4 of 5 spine mets showing new bone growth and pelvic mets shrinking.
8/28/2014 T11 on spine is being stubborn started Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa and Taxol - goodbye hair!
9/04/2014 Tomo therapy - pain finally gone
1/3/2015 - starting New Year out as still stable. Feeling positive
2/23/2015 - problems with left leg, bone met flaring up - MORE radiation Whew!
2/24/2015 Stress fracture in right side of pelvic - (great just great) back to wheelchair then walker then.....
2/26/2015 Off Taxol!! Still on Perjeta, Herceptin and Hormone Blocker starting to feel a little more human.
4/10/2015 Cancer has spread to spinal fluid - not sure where I go from here
6/29/2015 Omaya Port placed,begin IT Herceptin on 7/7/2015
Saygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #57
norkdo

jillaryjill: lmao!!!!

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #58
'lizbeth

So, I was training today at JCPenney's for the holiday season and discovered that the October charity in the Round-up program is the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Nice to know the money is going to help all of us!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #59
ShebaFunds

Don’t be afraid of fighting it. You’ll maximize your chances for victory over the cancer if you go into it with a fighting attitude. Cancer Funds
ShebaFunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #60
ShebaFunds

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Wear Pink - Support Breast Cancer Awareness. Give Free Hospital Mammorgrams To Women In Need For Breast Cancer Screening & Treatments! Cancer Funds http://CancerFunds.org
ShebaFunds is offline   Reply With Quote