HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
gqmom

statistic on chemo....only helps 1/4 of us??

I recently read a statistic on chemotherapy regarding breast cancer and that it doesn't even help about 3/4 of the women who have it to treat breast cancer. Does anyone have any information on this? Why bother if that's the case?? Basically, the doctor who wrote this said that if the cancer recurs, it would have recurred anyway, and if not, than chemo wouldn't change it either way. Any thoughts???
gqmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
BonnieR

Re: statistic on chemo....only helps 1/4 of us??

Exactly, "why bother if that's the case?". Which makes me have to assume that is NOT the case. I would want to know just who this ONE doctor is who is making such statements and what are his qualifications and motivations. There is so much misinformation floating around. We need to filter it.
Please keep the faith!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
sarah

where did you read this stat?
I find it hard to believe or the insurance companies would be fighting everyone getting chemo.
was it talking about all cancers or just breast cancer?
can you post the post?
sarah
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Lani

whatever the statistic, I think you are making the mistake of lumping all breast cancer together to come up with a number.

"Breast cancer " is many different diseases, with many different prognoses and each responding differently to any given treatment

Dr. Slamon has said that if herceptin had been tested in all"breast cancer" they would not have noted statistically significant improvement with its use and it would never have been approved. It is only becasue a test had been developed which enabled the researchers to find the group of bc patients in whom it proved effective (her2 testing, FISH better than IHC) that we discovered its remarkable effect and even so, it doesn't work for all her2+s and when given in Stage Ivs the majority recur within one to two years. By your reasoning, that a reason not to give it and that nihilisitic approach would keep them from discovering why it doesn't work on everyone and why recurrences occur and prevent researchers from discovering the best combination of treatments including herceptin and better "herceptins"

All are going to die of something someday, so why do we try to treat illnesses? To relieve pain and suffering and someday to beat them, I would propose.

Many more get treated now than treatments can help, but only in so doing and studying what makes each patients' results different will we discover the best treatment which is the most specific so everyone will have the greatest chance of being cured with the least chance of side-effects, overtreatment and undertreatment.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

Question Re: statistic on chemo....only helps 1/4 of us??

It is difficult to get an honest answer to this question for a number of reasons. Most of the people who provide treatment are not in it "just for the money", but it is only human for them to hope the best and overemphasize the possible benefit of treatment when they have no way of knowing which patients will be helped by it, and know that "some" are helped by it.... and as they tend to see it (given that usually they aren't the ones to go through it, with all the expense and collateral damage from it) it "most patients can get through it anyway, so why not"?

None of us tend to want to actually be totally objective about this either. We all know that some percentage of us aren't going to survive for long, but we can't handle very well the awareness as individuals that the "someone" might be "me".

Not knowing scientifically which treatment will actually work for which patients makes it harder for medical providers to give hard figures to us. Some of us will survive against the odds with no definite reason as to why, and some won't, even with treatment that "should" have made a difference. So how can they discourage anyone from doing what treatments are available?

More patients are surviving longer now primarily because cancers are being caught earlier and earlier surgical treatment (as well as radiation and other medications) is keeping more cancers from metastasizing early on.

However, the closest percentage I was able to find in the various oncology discussions was that chemotherapy "helps" somewhere between 17 and 20% of the time, and as I understand it, that includes those who get some extension of time with the use of chemotherapy. The side effects also have to be considered, since they affect the 80% who don't benefit.

HER2's have had greater benefit from treatment due to trastuzumab. But providers still are not clearly and openly able to provide accurate numbers because the majority of HER2 patients (as with all breast cancer patients) are early stage due to earlier detection and earlier surgery/rads, and because trials did not provide clear information as to whether this majority needed treatment with anything more than surgery and trastuzumab.

A very difficult subject. See if you are able to get documented numbers for this question, and maybe together we can get an answer.

-AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 08-01-2011 at 06:32 AM..
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
ArmyMomLisa

Before I started chemo, my onc said that I had roughly a 1 in 5 chance of recurrance having done just the surgery. Going ahead w/ chemo he said cut my risk to 1 in 10. Whether it is just meant to recur, as this study dr. makes it sound, and the chemo really did nothing to help, I dont' know. What I do know is that as I go thru the years ahead I can know that I did everything in my power to keep it at bay and will not have to face (hopefully) as many 'what ifs' and 'if onlys' should it one day come back.

I did wonder at times, in the midst of chemo chaos, if it made that much of a difference and if it was worth it tho. But now that I am over the worst of it (some SE leftover) I'm happy I had a dr that explained everything very well - and didn't have quite this pessimistic attitude. Just as there will always be people that will tell you "it's the drugs that kill you" and such things, hoping to sway you from chemo, there will I reckon also be doctors with that same idea. One more reason to be sure you feel completely comfortable and trusting in your onc!! :-)

11/17/10 diagnosed (at age 44) after mammogram w/ 3 cm, Stage 1,Grade 3 IDC in left breast Er/Pr+, Her2+, BRCA neg.
12/14/10 lumpectomy
12/17/10 path report results show tumor larger than originally thought from MRI,
1/3/11 Bilateral mastectomy w/ immediate reconstruction (expanders - began fills 4 weeks after surg.)
2/16/11 Began 6 rounds of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin every 3 weeks
2/18/11 to hospital w/ kidney stone! (Dr. believes from 'shock to my body' of chemo.)
6/2/11 last chemo! Continue Herceptin every 3 weeks til 2/12
6/22/11 Started Tamoxifen
7/5/11 reconstruction surg.
ArmyMomLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
gqmom

Here is a link to an Australian study showing that chemo is not as effective as we may be led to believe....I have no idea how valid it is....

http://www.icnr.com/articles/ischemo...effective.html
gqmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Jackie07

It's probably 'valid'. But don't forget that 'median is not the message':

http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote