Hi all
I have not posted in awhile as I forgot my new
password and could not get on. The spammers
are smarter than I am. Everything I read lately
is about drinks and breast cancer. It is now down
to a half a glass and it could cause bc. I do enjoy
my wine with dinner but now it says I am 50% more
likely to have bc. I know it increases estrogen but
my estradol is (3). I take arimidex. Please advise.
I know this has been discussed before but it seems
the amount has now changed on all the talk shows
and Dr. advice.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Drinking wine and breast cancer

So, what does 50% increase in risk mean? For us perhaps more because we have had cancer and have a higher risk of getting a new breast cancer (if we have a breast). I think I read somewhere that risk (without BRCA ) is 13% (1 in 8 women will get bc). So let's say this woman drinks, then her risk is 18.5%.

Ok - but the 1 in 8 contains those women who drink already, right? Or are half of them the ones who drink? Oh gosh, this is very confusing. I think I'll go have a glass of wine

We have always heard that alcohol affects bc by various studies. I am sure in a way it is true but you also have to live. I also believe the timing of drinking is important (teen drinking can be dangerous for many reasons but the breast tissue is developing then) and then those teens go to college where the party continues. Graduation and hang out (in bars). You get the picture.

I would not worry so much about some wine with dinner (or even too much on a weekend every now and then). A little wine is a healthy component of the meditterean diet we all talk about here. Using alcohol wisely (with some fun slipups) is part of many people's lives (I do drink wine almost every day and some weekends, I have been known to have enjoyed too much). So enjoy and if you are so worried, then stop (but you will miss it

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
chekmark

Beckys post is so cute. I feel that it is so unfair that I know people who drink all the time and are healthy and I have always been a social drinker and I end up with cancer. We have given up so much already that I think a glass at wine at dinner is a reward for what you have already been thru. Red wine is better so they say but who really knows. It is all a crap shoot. Becky I hope you intend to have some champagne at that Sept. wedding. Be happy and don't feel guilty for a glass of wine. What doesn't cause cancer? Enjoy.,Eat, drink and be merry. (In moderation of course). God bless. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
Pray

Darlene,

I'm so happy for you on finishing your Herceptin! Gods blessings to you Sis.

Your Friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Patb

Talking Re: Drinking wine and breast cancer

Thanks Becky, I feel better about a tiny bit of wine
red of course. I did see on the national news last
night that sitting and being inactive causes bc. I am
active, exercise and eat right so two out of three???

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
chekmark

Thank you Nancy but I still have 1 to go, will finish 11-21-11 at approx. 2:30 PM with not a second to spare. ha ha. It will go even smoother now that you have blessed me. Thank you again.
Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
NanaJoni

Sooo - I once asked "the magic 8-ball" if I was going to die of cancer. It told me yes three times in a row. My next question was "Am I going to die from a locomotive engine fall on my head" and it said "yes". So I figure what harm could an occasional glass of wine do.....
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
tricia keegan

I have to agree with Becky and would echo her words to you, I enjoy a few glasses of wine and think almost everything we do these days increase's our risk so I'm prepared to keep most things in moderation but will continue to have a glass when I feel like it

P.S I should add that before my dx I worked such long hours I hardly ever drank alcohol and only maybe once a fortnight, still got bc and drink more wine now than I did then!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Kellennea

I just asked my oncologist this question on Wednesday after a disturbing news report the night before regarding alcohol and breast cancer. I LOVE my wine!

I tried to even the playing field by saying " so if I take Tamoxifen to decrease my estrogen level and I drink a glass of wine... isnt that balancing things out?!" My Oncologist laughed at me and then said " you're fine, all things in moderation. I'm not giving up wine and if wine is a pleasure that you enjoy with dinner, or on an evening out, then enjoy it".

i do!
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Jackie07

My father drinks a shot of Whisky during the cold winter season to 'warm his blood'. He's 96 years old and going strong (though a little frail compared to last year.)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Jackie07

Eur J Cancer Prev. 2011 Oct 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Alcohol and wine in relation to cancer and other diseases.

Giacosa A, Adam-Blondon AF, Baer-Sinnott S, Barale R, Bavaresco L, Di Gaspero G, Dugo L, Curtis Ellison R, Gerbi V, Gifford D, Janssens J, La Vecchia C, Negri E, Pezzotti M, Santi L, Santi L, Rondanelli M.
Source

aDepartment of Surgery, University of Genoa bDepartment of Gastroenterology, Policlinico di Monza, Monza cDepartment of Biology, University of Pisa dResearch Centre for Viticulture (CRA), Conegliano (TV) eDipartimento di Scienze Agrarie ed Ambientali, University of Udine fIstituto di Genomica Applicata, Parco Scientifico e Tecnologico Luigi Danieli, Udine gUniversitÃ* Campus Bio-Medico hNational Commitee for Biosecurity, Biotechnology and Life Sciences iUniversity of Rome 'Tor Vergata', Rome jDi. Va. PRA, Microbiology and Food Technology Sector, University of Turin kMario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research lDepartment of Occupational Health, University of Milan, Milan mDepartment of Biotechnology, University of Verona, Verona nDepartment of Applied Health Science, University of Pavia oASP (Azienda di Servizi alla Persona) of Pavia, Pavia, Italy pInstitut Recherche Agronomique (INRA), Evry, France qOldways Preservation Trust rBoston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA sEuropean Cancer Prevention Organization, Hasselt, Belgium.

Abstract

Heavy alcohol consumption is associated with increased overall mortality, cancer, liver, and cardiovascular diseases; but low doses of alcohol (up to one drink per day) are not associated with the risk of any cancer site with the exception of breast cancer and possibly of oral and pharyngeal cancers. Moreover, recent evidence indicates that moderate alcohol and specifically wine intake provides cardioprotection and neuroprotection and may increase longevity. Various experimental data hypothesize a potential cancer chemopreventive role of some grape extracts, and complete sequencing of the grapevine genome has revealed genes responsible for the synthesis of health-promoting compounds (resveratrol and other polyphenols), thus advocating the development of future potential nutraceutical strategies. This focuses on the pros and cons of moderate alcohol and wine consumption and opens a debate on this topic.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Jackie07

J Clin Oncol. 2010 Oct 10;28(29):4410-6. Epub 2010 Aug 30.
Alcohol consumption and breast cancer recurrence and survival among women with early-stage breast cancer: the life after cancer epidemiology study.

Kwan ML, Kushi LH, Weltzien E, Tam EK, Castillo A, Sweeney C, Caan BJ.
Source

Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, 2000 Oakland, CA 94612, USA. Marilyn.L.Kwan@kp.org

Abstract

PURPOSE:

To examine the association of alcohol consumption after breast cancer diagnosis with recurrence and mortality among early-stage breast cancer survivors.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:

Patients included 1,897 LACE study participants diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer between 1997 and 2000 and recruited on average 2 years postdiagnosis, primarily from the Kaiser Permanente Northern California Cancer Registry. Alcohol consumption (ie, wine, beer, and liquor) was assessed at cohort entry using a food frequency questionnaire. Cox proportional hazards models were used to estimate hazard ratios (HR) and 95% CI with adjustment for known prognostic factors.
RESULTS:

Two hundred ninety-three breast cancer recurrences and 273 overall deaths were ascertained after an average follow-up of 7.4 years. Nine hundred fifty-eight women (51%) were considered drinkers (> 0.5 g/d of alcohol), and the majority drank wine (89%). Drinking ≥ 6 g/d of alcohol compared with no drinking was associated with an increased risk of breast cancer recurrence (HR, 1.35; 95% CI, 1.00 to 1.83) and death due to breast cancer (HR, 1.51; 95% CI, 1.00 to 2.29). The increased risk of recurrence appeared to be greater among postmenopausal (HR, 1.51; 95% CI, 1.05 to 2.19) and overweight and obese women (HR, 1.60; 95% CI, 1.08 to 2.38). Alcohol intake was not associated with all-cause death and possibly associated with decreased risk of non-breast cancer death.
CONCLUSION:

Consuming three to four alcoholic drinks or more per week after a breast cancer diagnosis may increase risk of breast cancer recurrence, particularly among postmenopausal and overweight/obese women, yet the cardioprotective effects of alcohol on non-breast cancer death were suggested.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
StephN

Jackie - you beat me to the "post" on this one. Your last study conclusion mentions "cardioprotective" benefit, which is where my justification has been.

Since I took Adriamycin and Herceptin for over 8 years, the chances of some heart damage must be higher than the small increase in getting another cancer. I am stage IV anyway, so what have I got to loose?

Having a French husband, wine is considered a FOOD around our house. It is meant to be drunk with food, for the most part, and that is what we do. Just as with the olive oil I use, the wine is high quality and costs more, but a bottle of wine lasts us 2 days or more.

P.S. There IS a difference between red and white wine. It is RED wine which contains the high resveratrol (grape extract) which has more health benefit.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 11-05-2011 at 04:55 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
ElaineM

Wink Re: Drinking wine and breast cancer

Lucky you Steph. Wine as food. Sounds yummy.
I would think though that people with liver issues or liver mets have to be careful. Everything we eat and drink and the medicines we take regardless of whether or not those medicines are taken through the mouth or by I. V. end up going through the liver. We don't want to stress out the liver if we can avoid that.
I reserve wine for special occassions like holidays and try to eat organic red or black grapes for the health benefits the rest of the time.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.

Last edited by ElaineM; 11-05-2011 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: addition
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
StephN

Dear Elaine -

Indeed, I DID have rampant liver mets - TEN years ago. My liver had completely regenerated by the end of 2003.

My liver functions have been checked every 6 months since that time and are always well into the normal range. My doctors say they can find no evidence that I have any after effects of my liver mets.

If I did have a continuing problem, I might have a different view, and decrease my wine intake. I do not drink spirits.

When I was on treatment, my mouth sores and tastebuds were so affected that the only wine I could begin to drink was low alcohol, low acid German wine, and very little of that.

Each person must thoughtfully take into account their own health and family situation. I would not advocate that wine is right for everyone.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Lien

You know, I think that it may well depend on many factors whether alcohol affects our risk of recurrence. We just do not know which factor was crucial. Now we can eliminate all known risk factors and still develop breast cancer. Because we just don't know.

The use of alcohol doesn't explain all breast cancers. And there are quite a few other diseases that can kill us. As well as traffic, household accidents, drowning, etc. So if you want to be as safe as possible: don't leave the house, move away from earthquake, tornado or hurricane-prone areas, avoid all pollution, don't take hormones or phytoestrogens, become a vegetarian, avoid wifi, radio, etc.

If, on the other hand, you want to live your life as fully as humanly possible, do things that make you feel good. It's all a matter of perspective.

We are all different, so we make the best choice for US that we can with the information we have.

I drink a glass of cider every day. Am allergic to grapes, so I can't even claim the health benefits of wine. I just want to enjoy life while I can. I have no idea what is going to happen tomorrow.

Just my 2 cents

Jacqqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
Cal-Gal

The last glass of wine I had was at dinner 11/18/08, the day I was diagnosed.

I know there are many studies, for me it is a personal choice.
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
ElaineM

I think everyone has to decide for herself or himself about whether or not to drink wine or other similar beverages.
I might have a glass of wine on special occassions. At other times I drink sparkling apple juice when everyone else is having wine or champagne.
My paternal grandmother drank a small glass of shnaps (I am not sure of the spelling) every night before bed and she died at 85 after a fall off a ladder !!!!!! She may have lived much longer if she didn't fall, because I think her mother lived to 96 !!
Suddenly I have a taste for a glass of wine !! Smile.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote