HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
fullofbeans

For those who have been to San Antonio

Can they give us hope and let us know what encouraging new things was discussed, good posters and abstracts please.

Alternatively is there a good link for them?

Many thanks

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 12-17-2012 at 07:42 AM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
karen z

Re: For those who have been to San Antonio

FOR A START (with more to come) check out the following threads:
Sabcs 2012
SABCS 2012 Links
The HER2Group at San Antonio
More will be posted as folks who went to SABCAS get caught up on the work at home that piled up. Amazing info (you can see) presented at the conference with MUCH HOPE for HER2 cancer and other types.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
michka

I am also trying to understand if something new or encouraging was disclosed in San Antonio. I read what Rhonda posted but it is not easy.

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
karen z

FROM LANI'S INITIAL POSTING (ON THREAD Sabcs 2012)

They are all singing the praises of Pertuzumab and TDM-1 and predicting the latter will be approved during the next 2-3 months.

Dr Slamon declared her2 + breast cancer has gone from being one of the worst to one of the best types to have.

Lots of options of chemos to add to herceptin including Navelbine and Halaven(erbulin), mtor inhibitors too.

30% of talks on her2+ breast cancer.

Too much info to digest yet. Amount of info is dizzying-- have to rest before posting.

Great results for perjeta and TDM1.

Fabulous lecture by Dr. Yosef Yarden who worked with Dr Ulrich developing herceptin and has theorized a two hit theory of the development of her2+ breast cancer --first hit is her2, second is p53 directly or indirectly.

Explans why so many her2+ tumors
have adjacent DCIS, why there is more her2+ DICS than IDC.

Spoke with someone who has started a tissue and blood bank that I think it would be good to donate to for those whose tumors are at community hospitals (and will be disposed of anyway after 5 years ) .

Things are hopping-- more options becoming available.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
karen z

Also, HUGE news from the ATLAS Study re the benefits of 10 years over 5 years of Tamoxifen. Preliminary data were published in a December issue of The Lancet. This was a massive study with important results which may very well change the standard of care treatment. Please note that similar research with AIs is not done/did not come out yet.

Some very interesting work on neuro-cognitive and fatigue factors and chemo. My notes indicate that 56-95 percent of folks can experience fatigue following chemo (this can be long-lasting). Surprising news (maybe/maybe not) is that patients have a pretreatment propensity to neural "vulnerability" and fatigue (perhaps more vulnerable to worry ahead of time).

As Lani indicated in her first posting, there are several effective combinations of treatment for HER2 (making it one of the better breast cancers to have- see her list) and TDM-1 is expected to be approved soon (I repeatedly heard 2-3 months). Once again, heard several times that HER2 HAS gone from one of the worst cancers to one of the better ones to have due to treatment options. Dr. Slamon was very hopeful that we would eventually see a cure for HER2 cancer at any stage (he "did not have a doubt"). Please note that he could not specify a time frame of course.

I certainly walked away with the info that if one has HER2 then one should have Chemo/Herceptin- tumor size does not appear to be relevant at this point (but we have known that for a bit now).

And, finally, the best way to digest the information is to read it ---over and over again. If one thinks it is difficult to digest in written form, imagine trying to "take it all in" in a 20 minute presentation. Many of us listen to the talks and then read/reread to better understand. This is true in any field.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
karen z

Oh
I heard an absolutely fascinating talk (docs were saying so too) on breast density and breast cancer. There is a strong relationship between density and breast cancer and density is associated with more aggressive tumors. The relation between breast density and cancer remains when age is controlled.
Photographs shown were truly amazing. The highest density breast tissue looks nearly identical to a tumor.
The greatest decrease in density occurs between the ages of 45-55.
Please note, however, that my breasts remain quite dense although I am 61. This is one of the reasons my breast surgeon asks that I have an MRI and mamm annually, although I will be 8 years out from diagnosis in May.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Ellie F

Thanks Karen for this summary. I wish Dr Slamon was able to put a time frame on our cure but I know this is just wishful thinking.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
michka

Thank you Karen! For us stage 4 time is not the same. TDM1 and Pertuzumab take such a long time to be authorized and with so many restrictions. I am happy you heard 2 or 3 months . I hope 2...What is the next TDM1 or Pertuzumab? I am not able to identify any. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
karen z

To tell you the truth Ellie I was just happy to hear that someday perhaps our children or our children's children will not have to go through what individuals must often go through now. No time frame.......but hope for the future and for future generations.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
karen z

Susan Love blogged about the study I mentioned above in a new post she titled "Might Chemo Brain Start Before Chemo?"

http://blog.dslrf.org/

She also comments on her own experiences related to chemo brain towards the end of her blog. In her words:
"I know I certainly experienced it. When I got home after my treatment was over, I could only listen to the radio. Then, I could read the paper. Then, finally, I was ready to start thinking again.

Now, I’ve begun doing the Lumosity web-based brain training program. An Army of Women study used it to study the type of effects breast cancer and its treatments can have on problems related to attention, memory, depression, and anxiety, so I thought I’d give it a try. My test scores are improving, so I think it’s working. I’ll keep you posted!"
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
fullofbeans

Lani /Karen you said: from above.."Fabulous lecture by Dr. Yosef Yarden who worked with Dr Ulrich developing herceptin and has theorized a two hit theory of the development of her2+ breast cancer --first hit is her2, second is p53 directly or indirectly. "

HOW do you hit p53 as you say. I understand p53 is a frequent canvcer mutation (around 60% of all cancer) but except for a (perhaps dubious) gene treatment in China I have heard of no treatment for p53 mut. Could you enlight us?

Also I think that what I was asking ( seconded by Michka) is not about what we already know on the board i.e tdm1 pertuzumab tamox.. but ANY NEW COMER? any promising PHASE 2 results?

Thinking about it maybe I am asking any new miracle drug.. one can only wish..

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 12-19-2012 at 01:44 PM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
karen z

In reviewing notes/powerpoint slides for the major HER2 "event" (HER2- Positive Breast Cancer: Applying the Latest Developments to Clinical Practice") most "conclusions" statements about effective treatment and continued work was on drugs one might have already heard of (although discussed in detail to educate the medical community who might not be doing cutting edge research themselves). At the Slamon event the primary talks were "HER 2 Testing and Current Knowledge on the Biology of HER-2 Positive Tumors by Michael F. Press, Advances in the Treatment of HER2+ Breast Cancer by Kimberly Blackwell, and "Research HIghlights: New Agents and Strategies for HER-2 Positive Breast Cancer" by Howard a. Burris III. These talks were definitely not so much about "introducing" new drugs but, rather, a better and more nuanced understanding of how the drugs work and why..leading us to better understand and move in a direction of improved efficency. I would be shocked to see new drugs per se introduced yearly at this conference (and, if mentioned, already through several phases of trials) . From talks I went to discussing clinical trials, such work does not move quickly and often with good reason. Also, a primary focus of the meeting (in addition to introducing new drugs when available and after appropriate testing) is educating oncologists from around the world on state of the art research and dissemination of research findings. This is how science moves (one painstakingly difficult study after the next). Difficult to find "breakthrough" research (say initial Tamoxifen research or Herceptin for early stagers in 05) in short time frames (a year is not a long time to researchers-perhaps to us and, only then, in particular situations). Still, progress seems to be occurring even though it may not seem fast enough to some. But good (meaningful) research is not particularly fast. Researchers can spend a lifetime tackling a particular "issue" within a highly complex problem. I did not see a lot of quick fixes nor would I expect to- but I saw a lot of important research moving steadily forward. And that is very good news.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
mamacze

Karen, I have to say thank you for such a good synopsis and such meaningful detail about parts of the conference. You are incredibly thoughtful to put all this info out here so quickly. Many of us dream of a quick fix; you are keeping us appropriately focused on the steady drumbeat of progress and the realistic hope that our daughters will not die of this disease...and perhaps, if we can ride the top of the wave of treatments long enough; maybe we too can live through it. XO

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote