HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Unregistered

Red face Finishing 1 year of herceptin

Hi all, well Friday will be my big day, I am finished with herceptin. I have been on a study at Sloan Kettering and received it every 3 weeks. I've done very well but I am a little scared of what will happen next. I'm happy it's over, but I think of what might happen next... does this sound normal to anyone.

What have any of you wonderful ladies done to help yourself after herceptin?
Diet, Yoga?

Thanks,

Diane
Old 04-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
Maryanne

Hi Diane,

I just finished the same study at Sloane's as well. I have tried to stay on a strict no sugars, balanced omega diet, no meat, etc diet and a host of suppliments suggested by those on the board. I just found a "Cancer Healing Center" that gives yoga classes as well as reiki, meditation,massage, and nutritional counseling, so signed on there as well. I also went back to my surgeon to have my port removed and he suggested a Pet scan....had been having cats & mri all along for various complaints....and Brain MRI before he removes the port. Yes he is on of the few doctors I have met that "gets" it the first time without having to fight. So far the pet is normal and will go for the brain mri in 2 weeks...have had 2 since starting this whole journey. Maybe this is something you could look into,but good luck at getting it at Sloanes.
Very best wishes,
Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
saleboat

Hi Diane & Maryanne,

I think we're all on the same study at Sloan-- I will finish in August.

Since you're in the NYC area, I wanted to pass along the details of an Onc who formerly practiced at Sloan but has now set-up his own practice. He is dedicated to bringing together mainstream oncology with alternative practices. I've met with him once, and he had some good suggestions. I will see him soon for his recommendations on diet, etc., now that I'm done with radiation. Also, he is much more willing than my Onc at Sloan to discuss therapies that are in Phase III studies and that may be appropirate for someone like me, who had a Stage IIIC cancer. For instance, he suggested that I take a cox-2 inhibitor.

Here's a link to his practice.
http://www.meridianmedical.org/about_us/about_us.htm

Hope this is helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions.

As for Sloan and brain MRIs, I know that it has been a topic of active debate for them. For now, they are not recommending it for early stage patients, but I had the feeling I could push if I really wanted to get one. (I don't, at least not now.)

Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Cathya

Are you ladies planning on taking regular marker tests such as the Bayer Serum Her2?

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
MCS

I'm very happy for you

PLease keep us informed with your progress. we will want to know how it feels to be "off"

I agree, anytime, we are off anything, we are like rowing the boat by ourselves and it's freightning.

XO

MCS (maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Maryanne

Thanks so much for the info Jen, I will definitely look into it.

Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote