HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #101
Monica

Re: Joe passed on this evening

I was shocked and dismayed to read about Joe. I was extremely fortunate to meet Joe, Christine, and one of their daughters at their home about five years ago. I was conducting research on the influence of leaders on virtual cultures. Both Joe and Christine were incredibly accommodating – picking me up and driving me back to the airport, feeding me, and spending their precious time in my interviews. I had no idea the amount of time, resources and dedication that Joe and Christine have spent on HER2 Support. I saw for myself the very loving and mutually respectful relationship between Joe and Christine and their love for their daughters. I remember in talking to Joe about the HER2 Support mission, he said, “This is why we’re here—to help women live longer. What else is there?” I think that says so much about Joe.

Christine, Danielle, and Debra – I am so sorry for your loss.

Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #102
micheleu

God speed Joe...........

Dx.2003 Stage 3b 35 pos nodes

Dx August 2003 Stage 3B with 35/35 nodes IDC age 39
Lumpectomy
A/C x4 Taxol x12
35 radiation tx
1Year Herceptin in trial
HER2 vaccine trial Seattle
3 months Tykerb off label
NED

micheleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #103
karen z

I just returned tonight from a short vacation. My heart is broken to hear about Joe. He was a wonderful and kind man who will be greatly missed. He meant the world to all of us.
My thoughts are with you Christine and with the girls.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #104
Kavy

Dannielle, Christine and Deborah,

I'm shocked and very saddened for this news. I had no idea that Joe was fighting his own battle. I'm so very sorry. Your dad was an amazing person, who had my admiration. He will be dearly missed and never forgotten by all of us. I am also so thankful to him and to your mom for creating this site that has helped so many people, including me through my 5 years with metastatic disease.
My deepest sympathy. I am praying for all of you.
A big hug.
Karla.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #105
RhondaH

Unhappy Re: Joe passed on this evening

Danielle,

I am speechless. I became a member in 2005 after being dx and he and your mother have been a God send. Your mother, you and your sister and in my prayers. Again, I am at a loss for words. Take care and God bless.

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #106
sally

I am very sorry to hear this news. Joe and Christine have created a great legacy that will continue for a very long time. They have touched so many lives in every way shape and form. I wish you the very best. Sally
Dx March 2004 HER2+ er/pr+ 8/16 + lymphnodes mets to the liver Stage IV / 6 cycles of TCH and 33 rads . NED Continued Herceptin 3 years w/ Femara. Tumor markers start to rise in Jan of 2007 and swiched to Tamoxifen. August of 2007 found more mets to liver and lymphnodes outside of liver. Went on Tykerb/Xeleoda--spots on liver gone found large mass between intestines. March 2008 started TCH. Stopped Carboplatin due to allergy. Still on Taxotere and Herceptin. Nov 2008 mass is gone. 3 new spot on liver and one on spine. Radiation on spine. tykerb/gemzar for liver mets. PET in April 09 showed shrinkage still a little activity, continue tykerb/gemzar until Aug 09. PET showed new spot on my spine more on my liver and a bunch of enlarged lymphnodes in upper chest. Start Adriamycin Sep 09. more radiation on spine . April 2010- Still on Adriamycin 3wks on 1 wk off and zometa every 28 days. PET -May 2010 showed progression. Starting Herceptin/Navelbine on June '10
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #107
lyce

Such sad shocking news. Joe gave so much to this community and he will be remembered in the hearts and minds of so many. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Thank for taking the time to reach out to us with your post. My prayers will include you all. Lyce
lyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #108
Cannon

I only knew a small part of Joe, but even the bit he shared with us here was AWESOME!!! Thanks to Joe and his family for all they have done to make the world a better place. Wishing you all the best.
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #109
Trish

Danielle
This site has been an immense support to me here in Australia.I always think warmly of Joe and Christine although I didn't know them I have thanked them silently. I loved the post about Christine's birthday.You belong to an exceptional family that has done much good. A life well lived and parents to be proud of...but what a loss. Best wishes to you, Christine and your sister.
Trish .
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #110
Kim in DC

Dear Danielle,
Your father helped me with a personal matter at work. He was a strong man,
devoted husband (and I'm sure father) and a resource to every one on this list.

The fact that he continued to help soooo many while fighting his own battle is a true testament to his character. He will be missed!

Kim
er/pr-, her2neu+++
8/19 taxotere and herceptin
1/15/2005 Navelbine/Herceptin
4/2005 radiation and Herceptin
5/15/2005 Herceptin alone
2/12/2008 skin biopsy positive
2/14/2008 met to sternum, possibly right breast
2/27/08 Start omitarg, herceptin, taxotere trial
3/17/08 Kicked off trial because I started too close to my last herceptin
3/19 start tykerb xeloda
Right breast confirmed met
5/15/08 skin mets gone, no hypermetabolic activity in breast, sternum healing
8/24/08 scans still look good. sternum still active with scarring. No evidence of progression
10/08 Progression in sternum
12/08 Start TDM1 trial
1/09 Scans show stable
12/09 1 year on TDM1 still stable
10/10 progression in chest and liver
11/10 false positive of liver mets; tykerb and herceptin
4/11 Tykerb/Herceptin/Xgeva
4/11 Rads to Sternum
5/12/12 NED Herceptin/Zometa
3/16/19 still NED Herceptin/Zometa very 6months
Kim in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #111
WolverineFan

Danielle,

This post was such a shock and so sad. It is with great sympathy that I send my condolences to you and your family. I've never had the opportunity to meet any of you, but love you all for what you have done for so many wonderful people. Yes, your dad is certainly a HER2+ angel for sure.

God bless you all.

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #112
chrislmelb

A belated message. i was so sorry to hear of Joe's death. he did such a great job with this site for us HER-2 girls. To Christine and family, my condolences.

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #113
AlaskaAngel

Thank you Danielle. There was no place for HER2's that I know of until Joe and Christine put this all together. Words just aren't adequate to say how much good has come of their effort and vision, or how hard it is for you and for us to go it without Joe as living proof of decency and kindness and caring and leadership.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #114
Cynthia

Joe and Christine have been so important to so many of us for so long. Joe's dedication to our cause was extraordinary, and his love of Christine and their daughters was so clear. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
4 nodes +; High Grade
ER+/PR+
Bilateral Mastectomy; Reconstruction
CAF x 6; Radiation; One Year Late Herceptin
Oophorectomy; Arimidex
Completed E75 Vaccine Trial; Completed E75 Vaccine Booster Series
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #115
Barbara H.

Dear Christine, Danielle, and Deborah,
Just as many have responded, I was both shocked and saddened to hear about Joe's passing. I have been away visiting my parents and family in Michigan and haven't been able to respond until now. Christine, your mission to establish the HER2 website along with Joe's ability and commitment to its existence created a service to those of us with HER2 breast cancer that provided information, hope, and a strong sense of community.

I have spoken positively about this website to both my doctors and nurses at the Dana Farber, and have recommended it other HER2 patients I have met. I feel uncomfortable responding publicly to online groups, and am not even a member of Facebook. In spite of these concerns, I felt compelled to join this site due to the professional and compassionate way Joe ran it. He professed his interest and care for everyone here, and responded to those who needed his help and advice. The HER2 Support Group has given me hope when I had none, and has encouraged me to live a normal and rather worry free life in spite of my recurrence to stage 4 over 6 years ago. I can not thank you enough for what you and Joe have provided for me and my family.

My heart goes out to you and your family. My thoughts are with you daily.

My condolences to you, your family, and your friends.

Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #116
libbyshope

Dear Christine, Danielle & Deborah,

I was deeply saddened yesterday to hear about Joe’s passing. I want you to know that Joe and all of you are in my thoughts and prayers. The HER2 breast cancer advocacy community has lost a true cancer warrior. I have lost a dear friend and cancer advocacy mentor. In Mitch Albom’s book entitled, Tuesdays With Morrie, the terminally ill Morrie teaches Mitch (one of Morrie’s former college students) that the way you obtain meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, helping the community around you, and creating something that gives you purpose and meaning. By this or any other measure, Joe lived a full and meaningful life dedicated to his faith, his family, and the HER2 breast cancer community.

In that same book, Morrie instructs Mitch that “death ends a life, not a relationship.” Morrie states that as long as we can love each other and remember this feeling of love, we can die without ever going away because all of the love that we have created will still remain. He states that after we die, we live on in the hearts of everyone we have touched and nurtured while alive on earth. All members of the HER2 Support Group community will forever carry Joe’s memory in their hearts and minds.

I have known Joe and Christine since 2002. They assisted me, like many of you, when my mother was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer. I have no doubt that my mom is alive today as an 8-year, stage IV breast cancer survivor because of the invaluable guidance that they provided to me and my family. After I lost my 26-year old cousin to ovarian cancer in 2008, I started a website in her memory called Libby’s H*O*P*E*. The website is based, in large part, on the many advocacy lessons that I learned from Joe & Christine. As if Joe did not have enough to do in 2009, he instructed me on a voluntary basis with respect to various methods to better promote the website. In the end, the co-founder of the HER2 Support Group not only helped countless women with that specific subtype of breast cancer, he helped unknowingly many ovarian cancer survivors as well.

Remember Me

Based upon instructions from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (“Her Majesty”), a poem entitled, She Is Gone, was recited at the Queen Mother’s funeral, which was held in Westminster Abbey on April 9, 2002. The poem recitation sparked a glut of media interest because of its simple, upbeat nature – and mystery author, who was credited in the service program as “Anon” [i.e., Anonymous]. Apparently, Her Majesty found the poem while leafing through old memorial service books and she chose it to be read at her mother’s funeral, where it struck a chord with millions of mourners.

After the conclusion of the Queen Mother’s funeral, the BBC, The Times, and other U.K. media outlets took great effort to identify the author, with attributions going to, among others, Immanuel Kant and Joyce Grenfell. Eventually, it was discovered that the true author was Mr. David Harkins, who wrote the poem in 1981 while working at a bakery. Mr. Harkins, who now works as an artist selling paintings over the Internet, said he “couldn’t believe his eyes” when he saw his poetry published in several newspapers after the funeral.

Quite shocked by all of the media attention, David Harkins sent the original manuscript of the poem originally entitled, “Remember Me,” to Prince Charles (of Wales), and St. James’s Palace later replied thanking Mr. Harkins for explaining its origin. The reply received by David Harkins from the Prince of Wales’ office stated: “I have no doubt that it [Remember Me] will be reproduced on many occasions over the years to come. The Prince of Wales has asked me to send you his very best wishes.”

I chose to include Remember Me as part of my tribute to Joe for two reasons. First, the poem is instructive as to how Joe would want all of us to continue on with our lives, including breast cancer advocacy, energized by our kind and loving memories of him. Second, Joe would undoubtedly find great joy and humor in the fact that a talented baker from a small U.K. town became famous worldwide for his literary prowess rather than his pastries.

So, the next time that we think of Joe, we should heed the message set forth in the final line of the poem Remember Me: “… Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.”

The full text of Remember Me is provided below.

Remember Me

You can shed tears that he is gone

Or you can smile because he has lived

You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back

Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him

Or you can be full of the love that you shared

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday

Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember him and only that he is gone

Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back

Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

– written by David Harkins, Silloth, Cumbria, U.K. (1981)(Note: all female references appearing in the original poem were changed to male references)

With Deepest Sympathy,
Paul Cacciatore
Founder, Libby's H*O*P*E*
"Libby's H*O*P*E*" (Facebook Cause)
libbyshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #117
Audrey

Thanks for posting--the Remember Me poem was just beautiful and a wonderful tribute to our dear Joe

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #118
caya

Yes thanks Libby for posting this - I am still in shock.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #119
bejuce

Words escape me as to what to say. I read about Joe's passing while visiting family in Brazil and have been thinking about him, Christine, and their girls ever since. Although I have never met them in person, I come to this site on an almost daily basis from my iPhone for camaraderie, support, hope, and breast cancer news. I'm forever grateful to Joe and Christine for putting this site together and creating this wonderful community.

My heart bleeds with sorrow, but is comforted in the faith that Joe's spirit lives on through this site and has joined the angels watching over us.

Christine, you have always been my inspiration and given me much hope to continue my journey. Please know that you, Joe, and your family is loved by many, and that we're united in soul and spirit in this site.

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #120
Tom

Dear Danielle and Family,

I am speechless. I have not visited the site for some time, and when I finally decided to put my toe back in the pool I got smacked in the face with this horrible news. I am so very sorry that you and all of us have lost our hero.

I will never forget how stunned I was when a short time after I made my first desperate post on the website regarding my Mom's diagnosis, I received a call from Joe offering help and information. At that very moment, I felt my hopelessness, fear, and isolation change to hope and the will to fight. I will never forget him and Christine.

God Bless you Joe and Christine for all you have done and continue to do for those battling this disease, and those who love them. Thank you for all of your help and inspiration. May the Lord embrace you and your family.

Sincerely,
Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote