HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Sandra in GA

Prayers requested

Just returned from Mayo today following my regular 6 month check-up. The CAT scan showed two new 4 mm spots on my right lung. One was in the plural cavity, one in the middle lobe. A PET scan is scheduled for this Friday. They drew blood for CA 15-33 today, so I do not have those results. My onc seemed very concerned.

I need input on treatments others have had. Have you gone back on Herceptin or had radiation treatments?

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you may have for me. I have always drawn strength from this board.
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Prayers requested

Oh Sandra,

I hate that you are dealt a recurrence. I like the idea that one had about finding out the genetics of your tumors.

Can you join a TDM1 or Perjeta clinical trial?

I hope one of the board members with experience with lung mets can chime in.

I love you girl!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Sandra in GA

Thanks 'lizbeth,
Dr. Tan did mention both of them. We won't know for sure until the PET is run if it is in fact a recurrance. I am trying to tell myself that it is just from reflux, but how did one get outside the lung?

It is very scary. I feel terrific. I just cannot believe it. Maybe it isn't. I should know by Friday afternoon late.

You know you have been very special to me. Thanks again for your support.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
JillaryJill

Hi, Hoping it is not a recurrence. You are one of my Stage IIIc warriors going 5 years NED with 21 positive lymph nodes. I have always thought the chance of a recurrence after 5 years is slim to none. Let's hold that thought and pray for good news.
ER- PR- Her2+++, grade 3, 12 positive nodes out of 15
Stage IIIc
Started TCH/Chemo December 31, 2010
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year
33 rounds of TomoTube radiation, to chest wall, neck, skin and lymph area
September, 2011, MRI to lower spine, hips, DX bulging disk, L4 & L5, pain not from cancer
Expanders removed, implants in Dec 1, 2011
Finished Herceptin, December 21, 2011
August 2012, CT of chest and abdomen, all ok
Enrolled in MC1136 Phase I Peptide Vaccine Trial at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
March 2013, First Vaccine
April 2013, 2nd Vaccine
May 2013, 3rd Vaccine
June 2013, 4th Vaccine
July 2013, 5th Vaccine
August 2013, 6th Vaccine Done!
September 2013, Mayo visit, Echo results 68, vaccine did not effect my heart! Blood work normal.
January 31, 2013, Mayo visit, Echo normal
February 23, 2014, Numb lips on right side, Brain MRI, normal!
June, 2015, Finished the trial at Mayo Clinic. Feels good!
JillaryJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
'lizbeth

Sandra,

Gosh I don't have scans or blood tests since I was stage II. Did you have any symptoms. If not that is very scary. I worry about not feeling the cancer growing, not having anyway to detect it, and ending up stage IV.

We are pretty close in history, but different in treatments. I had skin involvement with the Pagets. I had 3/15 nodes. I only did Taxotere, Herceptin and the GP2 vaccine.

Ugh, this is the tough part and I feel so close to you - its almost like having a recurrence myself.

It looks like we are praying for a lot of Christmas miracles.

I am so glad the Mayo Clinic is looking after you. Are the scans in follow up for a clinical trial, or is it the standard of care?

Look kiddo, I'm counting on you to be around for a long, long time!

I looked for the genetics post, but haven't found it yet. I hope our fellow board member will repost. The more ideas, the better.

Sending even more love (and freaking out a little)

Your buddy, 'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
europa

I am so sorry to hear about this. I have been in contact with Ilan from Precipio. They do the tumor profiling everyone has been buzzing about. He sent me the form as I am getting a sample sent up to him for profiling. If you pm me and give me your email address, I can send it to you and email Ilan letting him know you may be calling. He's a great guy. Also, I believe it's covered by insurance. Ilan told me that they have yet to get denied by an insurance co. He also mentioned that once the forms are signed off by your Oncologist, Precipio gets the sample within 3 days tops. So it's quite fast.
Let me know how I can help. Here is Ilan's info:
Ilan Danieli (CEO at Precipio)
Tel: 203.787.7888 ext. 536
Email: idanieli@precipiodx.com

You're in my prayers.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
JennyB

Sandra I sincerely hope this isn't a recurrance - prayers going up
Jenny x
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Pray

Sandra, Gods blessings to you. I also am hoping and praying for the best for you. I am praying very hard. Peace my friend, Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
NEDenise

Sandra,
Sending prayers and calming love your way. Try not to worry till you KNOW what's true, and what could be a mistake. Remember a few months back...they were sure I had liver and bone spots to keep my brain mets company. After a few days, a review of the scans, and a followup prodedure, showed they were both false alarms. Maybe yours will be too, and even if it's not...we have great meds out there just in case you need them.
And, my friend...I think the fact that you FEEL good is a GOOD sign that things are better than they seem.

Try to relax...breathe easy...focus on that Christmas miracle.
With love,
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #10
karen z

My best wishes and thoughts and prayers are with you.
K
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Sandra in GA

Many, many thanks to all of you. You are the best!

Jill, I know what you mean. I am 4 and 1/2 years out and this just blindsided me. I coulndn't wait until my appointment next summer so I could begin to be free to do some traveling not related to health care. That five year mark was just around the corner. Well, it's not for sure ~ I just have to wait until Friday before I give up all my dreams.

Denise, you are right. They have to confirm it first. Thanks for reminding me that sometimes they can be wrong!

Karen, Nancy, and Jenny, thanks for all those prayers. I can feel them.

Europa, my onc said they are too small to biopsy right now but I really thank you for that info. I will store it in my brain for future reference.

'lizbeth, I cannot find the words to tell you how much you have inspired me. Thank you so much. The PET scan is for positive diagnosis. At first he wanted me to come back in Feb., but you know me. I wanted to know as soon as possible so treatment could begin. So, he ordered a tumor marker blood test and the PET scan. He ordered it for yesterday but that department was swamped and Friday during their lunch was the first appointment they could come up with. I should know something by late Friday. He is to call me that afternoon when they post the results on the computer.

Thank all of you again. I am trying to stay busy with all my Christmas chores that have not been done. I am praying for a Christmas miracle.

Sandra
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Kellennea

Sending prayers up!
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Paula O

Lifting you in prayer right now, Sandra.

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
'lizbeth

Sandra,

Is there a term for premature panic? I think I have that.

Oh - wouldn't that be a great Christmas gift, to have the PET rule out cancer. That is so awesome of them to give up their lunch hour so that you can have the scan.

Tumor profiling - that is the phrase I couldn't remember.

Wow, that is the awesome thing about this board. So nice to see the enthusiastic support.

Sending up prayers on your behalf,

'lizbeth

Additional treatments:

Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Lien

Please be my No. 4! I already have 3 friends whose docs were certain they had lung cancer/lungmets. One of them even had part of a lobe removed. They all turned out to have benign lumps/bumps/scars. So I am holding on to that thought for you. Please keep us posted, so we can exhale...

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
Sandra in GA

Thanks again. I cannot believe all this support! You guys are the greatest. I had a group of friends come over for prayer for me this afternoon. It is such a comfort.

Jacqueline, I sure hope I will lbe #4! That would be the greatest gift ever.

I have also had a couple of pms from Joan who had radiofrequency ablation in '08 for a couple of small lung mets and has no more. She has given me great hope for treatment other than chemo.

I also contacted my vaccine study nurse at Wake Forest, 'lizbeth. After talking with her, I feel much better. She is a doll. She said they do biops on that size nodes and encouraged me to ask for one. She also told me several of her patients are having strange scans that are truning out to be OK. She also told me they do the radio thingy up there. All this has helped calm me down considerably.

Thanks Paula and Kellennea. Prayer warriors make wonderful friends!

Sandra
Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
NanaJoni

Add my prayers to many others.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
fullofbeans

Don't take it personally but may you NEVER JOIN us the stage 4 sisters here, we do not want you, so you have to stay stage 1 or 2.. no choice.

My prayers are with you, stay as calm as you can, I know difficult.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Becky

Dear Sandra

I am thinking about you and praying too. Have faith - it could very well be nothing at all.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
ammebarb

Sending my prayers too, Sandra.

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote